Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by thsv View Post
    What a lot of us seem to forget is that with the filler they've managed to maintain the gap with the manga.

Think about it. Where were we when Shippuuden started?

We're still within 100 chapters. Near enough the same gap we had if not smaller than when Shippuuden started.

(I just realized that I can't explain without posting a spoiler, hence the vagueness)
    Here's my question...'Is such a wide gap needed?'

I mean Naruto as a manga has a lot of storyline to it. wouldn't it take a while for the anime to catch up to to the manga without fillers? If so, why do they continue to create them? Why not simply take some liberties with the manga's story and flesh out some of the condensed areas to add episodes here and there?

In an anime like Bleach I can understand why you need fillers (even if they suck ass) because Bleach's storyline goes absolutely nowhere for like 60 f'king chapters at a time!

Anyways just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubiz632 View Post
    I mean Naruto as a manga has a lot of storyline to it. wouldn't it take a while for the anime to catch up to to the manga without fillers? If so, why do they continue to create them? Why not simply take some liberties with the manga's story and flesh out some of the condensed areas to add episodes here and there?
    Let's put it this way, originally Naruto the anime started three years after the manga debuted. By the time they were at the Sasuke Retrieval arc in the anime, they felt the need to have that year long filler drag gradually because it was catching up to the manga at a considerable rate. The same thing is happening now, just not to the degree of a year long filler arc, now it's just in small doses.

Yeah, but Bleach, One Piece and Katekyo Hitman Reborn all have a less than 40 chapter lead-time right now. Which I think is probably a more reasonable lead-time almost 100 chapters. Especially considering that none of those other anime are in fillers right now, and Naruto is!

OK, but remember in the 100 episodes we've had 30 fillers episodes. So the anime has managed in 70 chapters to do what the manga took 100 to do. Remember that the whole Assuma 'incident' took 15 episodes in the manga whilst it took 30 chapters in the manga. At that rate they'd steam through the next arc and catch up again. Then we'd have to put up with another two years of filler. Do we really want that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    If Pow wrote the manga it would be accurate as fuck lol. I stand behind Pow(while humping his leg) on this one.
    Troll Tagged by Uzumaki_Tim

It's fillers now vs. fillers later... It doesn't really matter.

But even if the anime did catch up to the manga, there is no need to wait two years to get back to a 100 chapter lead-time... In my opinion, as long as they have the next arc completed (or a natural break in the action), they can animate it. Heck, in Bleach they put fillers in the middle of an arc! Naruto has several natural breaks that they can choose to stop and put in filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Roshi View Post
    It's fillers now vs. fillers later... It doesn't really matter.

But even if the anime did catch up to the manga, there is no need to wait two years to get back to a 100 chapter lead-time... In my opinion, as long as they have the next arc completed (or a natural break in the action), they can animate it. Heck, in Bleach they put fillers in the middle of an arc! Naruto has several natural breaks that they can choose to stop and put in filler.
    Which is what is happening right now
    If Pow wrote the manga it would be accurate as fuck lol. I stand behind Pow(while humping his leg) on this one.

Yeah, but Bleach, One Piece and Katekyo Hitman Reborn all have a less than 40 chapter lead-time right now. Which I think is probably a more reasonable lead-time almost 100 chapters. Especially considering that none of those other anime are in fillers right now, and Naruto is!
    But do you realize how much time is wasted during one piece/reborn/and bleach episodes? bleach and reborn have like 4 minute recaps and reborn has a 4 minute omake, which is almost half the episode already, adding in the OP and ED, you really just have half an episode worth of content. You cannot use bleach as an example, because the next anime arc is indeed filler for Bleach, thus it is running the same line as Naruto. One Piece wastes a lot of time during certain episodes much in the same light of Dragon Ball Z, and they are also known to make their own filler arcs.

This is to prevent the problem in the long run, which would be to run into the long two year fillers. Think about it this way, if Naruto originally had a 3 year head start, and had to resort to 2 years filler, then we are only roughly 1 year ahead right now and thus in considerable danger of the elongated fillers.

Quote Originally Posted by [Cross] View Post
    But do you realize how much time is wasted during one piece/reborn/and bleach episodes?
    Yes, I do.

You cannot use bleach as an example, because the next anime arc is indeed filler for Bleach, thus it is running the same line as Naruto.
    Only if the filler arc lasts for over a year, which I doubt...

The difference between Bleach and Naruto is that Bleach is comfortable with a 30-50 episode lead time and Naruto seems to be only comfortable with a 80-100 episode lead time. Bleach and Naruto will have the same amount of fillers in the long run, but Bleach feels fresher because when they do show story episodes because they are of episodes that happened only a year ago (or less) in the manga.

This is to prevent the problem in the long run, which would be to run into the long two year fillers. Think about it this way, if Naruto originally had a 3 year head start, and had to resort to 2 years filler, then we are only roughly 1 year ahead right now and thus in considerable danger of the elongated fillers.
    I maybe an idiot, but this made no sense to me.

Let me rephrase my position... Make fillers less long and more often, but show the non-filler episodes closer to when they happen in the manga. There is no need to have a 100 chapter gap between the anime and the manga.

Also, I'd rather watch a slower moving anime of stories that actually matter, rather than more meaningless filler episodes.

Then let me reiterate, Naruto (the manga) started in 2000. The Anime started in 2003. Even with a 3 year lead, the anime still caught up, so much to the point that they had to have a 1 1/2 year filler batch. We don't want that again, but it put us 1 1/2 years ahead of the manga, so these fillers are needed.

And to be honest, I am glad they have a gap because if I had just read the manga a couple of months ago only to see it animated, then it would have lost the feeling. It's actually more refreshing to see these events occur again much time afterwards because they aren't so immediate in my memory, and feel fresh at that moment.
    Also, I think it's a little shortsighted to say that these fillers are absolutely useless, they do serve a purpose and they even have a couple of eastereggs for the manga readers. (like the jiraiya/naruto scene that was the cover of a volume)
    Last edited by [Cross]; 03-24-2009 at 03:35 AM.

Let me rephrase my position... Make fillers less long and more often, but show the non-filler episodes closer to when they happen in the manga. There is no need to have a 100 chapter gap between the anime and the manga.

Also, I'd rather watch a slower moving anime of stories that actually matter, rather than more meaningless filler episodes.
    But the anime isn't moving that slow. These are approximations but this is how the anime and manga have run

Manga from Naruto's Return to rescuing Garaa - 36 chapters
    anime over the same events - 32

Manga searching for Orochimaru's hideout - 33
    Anime - 21

There was a 19 episode filler at this point

The Assuma 'incident' Manga - 28
    Anime - 17

So we have the anime covering in 70 episodes 97 chapters of the manga. I make that 6 months wiped of the lead. And thats with them dragging out episodes with flashbacks and extra sequences. Remember Shippuuden 85?