Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Hey "american seinen" like Futurama and Family Guy are awesome. You gotta keep in mind that there's a lot more anime made that has appeal for the older viewer than there are American cartoons, so we naturally watch more of it.

But hey there's stuff like Spongebob Squarepants. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz View Post
    Hey "american seinen" like Futurama and Family Guy are awesome. You gotta keep in mind that there's a lot more anime made that has appeal for the older viewer than there are American cartoons, so we naturally watch more of it.

But hey there's stuff like Spongebob Squarepants. ^_^
    That show is not for kids I swear.....SpongebobxPatrick! xD

More at
    My Deviantart

Everybody mentions good American cartoons, but every one of them is comedy-oriented. Even though Venture Brothers and Futurama do have good stories and a running plot, the focus is still on comedy and nothing else.

The biggest problem is that nothing American is serious. Even Avatar has a bit more comedy than I'd like in my action.
    All glory to Haruhi! The one and true God!

Is there even a point to this thread? Can anyone argue in favor of American Cartoons on a Manga forum? Theres no way anyone defending American Cartoons would be taken seriously anyway. There's just no comparison.

Queen Most
    Likely To Be King
    Have you even read the thread?

The general consensus is that although on average American cartoons are not as good, although there are few which do match the Japanese in terms of quality, while being completely different in terms of content - Family Guy for example.

Just look at Diesuke's avatar. It represents that all animated shows can be alike.

american shows are funny. anime is good. i noticed that before i knew there was a difference between anime and cartoons that i like animes more

Quote Originally Posted by gela View Post
    yeah.. you can kind of see it in all american culture - they rarly try something new - they just try to improve something thats alreadys there.

the best thing about anime is its originality, and the fact that america is trying to copy anime just proves that they don't have the originality it takes.
    I remember a time when Japanese products were all generaly seen a cheap knock offs of American ingenuity (e.g. Automobiles). Great thing about America is the openness of the people to new ideas and to other cultures. That is why Americans have embraced anime.

American art actually does rule in other art Genres, eg. Rock and Role, American movies, American CG animation (pixar for instance).

If Japan is better at anime more power to them. Truth is no-one can be the best at everything anyways.

Finaly, as a 48yr old dad introducing anime to his 4 kids, I am afraid i've had to edit a couple of Bleach episodes b/4 I let my kids watch them. There is already too much sex in the media in my eyes.
    Last edited by paulbee; 09-05-2007 at 10:35 PM.