Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile Anime v.s American cartoons

Japan's anime is basically a mainstream phenomenal that has took it to another level for
    cartoons in general with its drama,action and some times love trangle which we come to love.We have seen america's attempt to reach the level of anime with Avatar:The last Airbender,but hasn't even come close to the level of anime greats.Is it Japanese rich culture or are they just better than us at making cartoons.My question is can American cartoons come to the level of anime or maybe even surpass them

American cartoons can't surpass Japanese Anime. American Cartoons are so kid friendly. And they wont focus on brutal scene. They focus to entertain kids and older people.

^I agree with Dodski, America's a little too cautious. The cartoons are mainly meant to be kid friendly. That's how they established it at the beginning of the around the 1920-30s. That and Japanese anime has a story, a true STORY that lasts, keeps you enthralled (Well in most cases anyway).
    Last edited by 48dreams; 08-09-2007 at 02:10 AM.

yeah.. you can kind of see it in all american culture - they rarly try something new - they just try to improve something thats alreadys there.

the best thing about anime is its originality, and the fact that america is trying to copy anime just proves that they don't have the originality it takes.

Join the Millenium Earl, at the D.Gray-Man Fan Club

Regular Member Chainsaw_Chimaera's Avatar
    I don't think that it is fair to just completely write off America's ability to make a decent animated series or movie. While it is true that animation in a America has traditionally been very kid based and non-linear, I think we are seeing a trend towards more intelligent animation.

Ventures Brothers is a comedy but is also a good example of how animation stateside has evolved. It has a followable story, however, it does lack the emotional essence that really makes Japanese animation grand. In truth comedy/action are far easier sells here then series that contain true drama.

I disagree with the "copy" argument. A lot of great art, in many forms, has come from people who were inspired by others. It is still in its early stages but the more animators we see inspired by influences outside the states the more our animation may evolve towards the golden standard set for them by anime. Also, we have many creative people in America, the problem at times is selling it to the networks. Another thing that is slowly being paved by the success of both Japanese animation and the shows inspired by them.

Well yeah, America's getting closer...not quite but still a step forward.

I just hope that certain restrictions in the U.S. if not completely removed, are at least softened. Discussing death, emotional ties, romance, etc. I'd be happy with that since it would allow more freedom.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    So is this a 'trash cartoons when compared to anime' thread then.

Everyone here believes anime is better due to it's ability to fully and correctly use the animation medium across a whole range of genre's when compared to American cartoons which due to cultural contstrictions remains largely something for kids, but that doesn't mean that animated show aren't breaking that border in the US, cartoons such as South Park, Family Guy etc. are aimed for an older audience are they not and as mentioned in the first post, cartoons such as Avatar are bridging the gap between the two styles (something which has been slowly blending in relation to comics and manga).

Although Anime will always rock.

Spoiler!

Why don't more people read these mangas?

Just as there are crappy American cartoons, there are crappy anime series too. Just as there are good anime series, there are good American cartoons too.

Avatar: the Last Airbender isn't an anime "copycat". Its art style is influenced by anime, but the plot and characters are original and just as captivating as any good anime. The action and fight scenes are top notch too, and I find them much more exciting than those found in most anime series.

I love anime, but I find it a bit silly to completely disregard anything from America just because of what nationality its creators are.

Besides, how can anyone hate Animaniacs? XD

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Chimaera View Post
    I don't think that it is fair to just completely write off America's ability to make a decent animated series or movie. While it is true that animation in a America has traditionally been very kid based and non-linear, I think we are seeing a trend towards more intelligent animation.

Ventures Brothers is a comedy but is also a good example of how animation stateside has evolved. It has a followable story, however, it does lack the emotional essence that really makes Japanese animation grand. In truth comedy/action are far easier sells here then series that contain true drama.

I disagree with the "copy" argument. A lot of great art, in many forms, has come from people who were inspired by others. It is still in its early stages but the more animators we see inspired by influences outside the states the more our animation may evolve towards the golden standard set for them by anime. Also, we have many creative people in America, the problem at times is selling it to the networks. Another thing that is slowly being paved by the success of both Japanese animation and the shows inspired by them.
    I think his right america does have creative people that can make as good a cartoon as japan,but the problem is the network.Networks try to stay away from ‘iffy’ products because later down the line it may come back and bit them in the ass like the company being sued for playing violent cartoons, but they can always make a late night showing of it like adult swim.Thats the only reason they keep it kid friendly
    Last edited by Diesuke; 08-09-2007 at 03:19 AM.

Well I wouldn't say I disregard America just because of their nationality, quite actually, I enjoy my fair share of cartoons. I just wish America allowed more. So if I'm passing off as saying, "America sucks" well, no. I'm getting completely mixed up. O.o I'm not much of a socializer anywhere, so I'm trying to get past that. -.- Any person has the potential to surpass another I guess would be what I want to say. Though I can see that I seem to be going everywhere.