Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Philosophy

I still think cogito ergo sum was pretty profound, but Descarte's argument for the existence of God is pretty ridiculous.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Queen Most
    Likely To Be King
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabarnes View Post
    I still think cogito ergo sum was pretty profound, but Descarte's argument for the existence of God is pretty ridiculous.
    It's a great statement. But in terms of how it was formed - It makes no sense whatsoever.

It completely disregards the first meditation - Which still confuses me to this day. I guess the only reason so many people study Descartes is cos he made so many retarded mistakes.

i studied 2 years of philosophy (2 last years of high school)...it wasn't an important subject since i was in math sciences.
    still,i liked to discuss in class and defend my point of view with strong arguments...
    i enjoyed the subject of the TRUTH...and we had like 4 different notions to study around it...from pragmatic,to absolute,to inner knowledge...and that was great...
    philosiphy was part of the baccalaureat exam,i had 15/20...which is awsome since no one in our high school's long history ever managed to get more than 17/20

Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    We just haven't worked out the right one yet - Although we're getting closer.
    Closer to the 'right' one? Is that even possible? Is there some objective truth to be attained? I certainly don't think so.

I abandoned my Philosophy major awhile back because I grew terribly bored sitting around philosophising about this and that and I wanted to study something more practical (so I took up Fine Art. From one useless degree to another!)

I may pick it up again because it would be good for my master's prospects, but studying philosophy at university is a bit like mental masturbation. It's just a bunch of 20-somethings in a room engaging in a circle jerk about Nietzsche vs Marx vs Freud vis-*-vis Deleuze.

As for my own personal tastes, I'm a fan of 20th Century continental thought and the exploration of the human condition/nothingness. Having grown up in the French education system, I'm big on Derrida, Sartre, Deleuze, Merleau-Ponty, etc. And throw in some Kierkegaard and Zizek for good measure, I suppose.