Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Philosophy

Philosophy

So, does anybody out there like philosophy? Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Epicurus, Aquinas, Descartes, Hume, Kant, Marx, Sartre, Nietzsche?

I've studied a bit of it (a little bit from everybody, thanks to college), and I love the stuff. I've always thought about those "big questions," such as why we're here and whatnot. Reading about the philosophies of others really made me realize that I wasn't alone in my crazy thoughts, lol.

Personally, I like Epicurus and his philosophy of hedonism as intelligence and peace of mind. I also love Descartes's thoughts on reality and the "daemon," though I don't necessarily agree with his whole argument that God wouldn't deceive us.

Alas, I need to brush up on my philosophy. I may be a little wrong with some things; I've neglected it this summer in favor of anime and manga.

So, anyone out there a fan like me?
    All glory to Haruhi! The one and true God!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    I wondered if I'd encounter a thread such as this. I am a fan of philosophy, it's a hobby, but one that can tire me out soemtimes mentally.

I personally like Descartes and his work, I also think 'Cogito ergo sum'happens to be the truest words he's ever spoken.

Immanuel Kant was okay as well, seeing as how for me, he was able to find a way around Hume's Treatise of a Human Nature, with his works which are hell on the mind trying to read.

Philosophers such as Sartre and Camus with their view of existentialism I also found interesting and I think they appeal more to me for some reason, possibly the whole idea of the uman individual stuggling alone is good.

I thought I might add a philosopher closer to Socrates time (before him actually), i thought that Zeno of Elea's paradox's were wonderful and they really made me think.

Buddhism can also be considered a philosophy as well as a religion so I though I might add that as well as Asian philosophers such as Confucius and Lao Tzu (which reminds me that Taoism is something I am also interested in),

Today I have seen Lao-tzu, and can only compare him to the dragon
    That line is Confucius comparing Lao-tzu to a dragon.

Well tahts all the philosophy I can remember for now, something is creeping into my head about metaphysics and linguistics but I'll post that later.

Spoiler!

Why don't more people read these mangas?

Someone actually responded seriously, lol. I wasn't expecting that.

I just remembered one of the funniest things I know about philosophy, that involves Diogenes the Cynic. He said that when he saw a child drinking from his hands, he threw away his cup. It's just always stood out to me as funny.

I asked my philosophy teacher once what he thought about Taoism (getting into Asian philosophy), and he said he didn't care for it because the opening line, so to speak, of Taoism is that to know the Tao is to not know the Tao. My teacher said that that didn't make sense, and I see where he's coming from, though I do like some of the teaching of the Tao. The man who never tries never fails, lol.
    All glory to Haruhi! The one and true God!

Darwin. Go evolution
    Last edited by Bamn; 08-15-2007 at 11:21 PM.

yet another very crappy sig

I like the theories of life. Darwin, Aristotle, Svant arrhénius... My personal favorite is Anaxanimander.

i like my philosophy the best
    it combines knowledge from the social sciences and mathematics as well as other subjects

some day i will upload it to here... maybe

In my Philosophy of Religion class today, I made a Nietzsche joke...nobody laughed, and it made me sad.

Professor: I wonder what Nietsche had for Thanksgiving dinner? (rhetorical, obviously)

Me: The same thing, but it didn't matter.

Everyone else: (not laughing)

(little joke drum roll)
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Queen Most
    Likely To Be King
    Sigh.

Everyone's a philosopher.

Those of you who have actually studied Philosophy indepth will soon realise how pointless it is to debate your "favourite" - They're all wrong.

And to Archiel - The Cogito has some major flaws - So calling them his "truest" words is abit unwise.

Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    Those of you who have actually studied Philosophy indepth will soon realise how pointless it is to debate your "favourite" - They're all wrong.

And to Archiel - The Cogito has some major flaws - So calling them his "truest" words is abit unwise.
    But to even say that all philosphy is wrong is to take a philosophical position. Also, how does discussing a favorite have anything to do with the truth or falseness of the subject?
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Queen Most
    Likely To Be King
    I never said all Philosophy is wrong - I said all philosophys are wrong.

We just haven't worked out the right one yet - Although we're getting closer.

That being said, by definition, going on to Descartes again, if anyone's studied the first meditation you can see that it's impossible to find an epistomoligcal argument which can't be argued, because logic is uncertain - We can either change our definition of certain - which imo, defies the point, or we can accept that the method of doubt is pretty much irrefutable =/

Yet you'd think we'd have got closer than we have in the last 300 years, considering alot of people still agree with people like Kant and Liebnitz.