Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Eric Chase, the lead lawyer for an Iowa man accused of possessing obscene manga, indicated to MTV's Splash Page blog that some of the manga in question are yaoi. Christopher Handley was originally charged on May 8, 2007, and his case will go on trial on December 2.

Chase told the Splash Page, "There is explicit sex in yaoi comics. And the men are drawn in a very androgynous style, which has the effect of making them look really young. There's a real taboo in Japan about showing pubic hair, so they're all drawn without it, which also makes them look young. So what concerned the authorities were the depictions of children in explicit sexual situations that they believed to be obscene. But there are no actual children. It was all very crude images from a comic book."

The Splash Page also interviewed award-winning comic book writer and Princess Mononoke adapter Neil Gaiman about his efforts to raise money for the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund (CBLDF). This non-profit organization has been providing for the defense of First Amendment rights within the comic community since 1986, and it is supporting Chase's legal team on Handley's case. Gaiman noted that his own work deals with graphic violence and explicit sex with fictional minors, but for storytelling purposes and not for titillation. He added that some of his personal collection could be considered objectionable like some of Handley's collection, and criticized the rationale for Handley's arrest. "That's just deeply wrong. Nobody was hurt. The only thing that was hurt were ideas."

In July, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa struck down some of the charges against Handley and ruled parts of the PROTECT Act of 2003 unconstitutional for restricting free speech. However, Handley still faces obscenity charges and up to 20 years in prison if convicted. Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab has raised over US$38,000 for the CBLDF by selling perfume inspired by Neil Gaiman's comic books and novels.
    hahaha for yaoi it was for.

I think it was a handfull of Loli in his collection that he's getting done for (this article was on sankakucomplex a while back), I think it's fucking ridiculous, If he had real CP then of course he should go to jail and stay there, but just loli manga? It's a fucking farce.

I feel sorry for the poor guy.

It could even just be a normal ero manga, because to people who aren't fammiliar with manga/hentai, the majority of characters will appear loli to them, whether we consider it to be loli or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangaz View Post
    I think it was a handfull of Loli in his collection that he's getting done for (this article was on sankakucomplex a while back), I think it's fucking ridiculous, If he had real CP then of course he should go to jail and stay there, but just loli manga? It's a fucking farce.

I feel sorry for the poor guy.

It could even just be a normal ero manga, because to people who aren't fammiliar with manga/hentai, the majority of characters will appear loli to them, whether we consider it to be loli or not.
    No its for Yaoi look like 2 posts up..

He could just argue that the models in this manga were just short and not little girls

JOIN THE GINTAMA FAN CLUB.. "Just do it" *click here*

D.Gray-man FC Members List

My Anime List

so he either had shota or they're calling it shota, I still have the same problem with it, He wasn't doing any harm.

Wow just wow. I think that's right out of order. In fact I'd sue right back at them for all the crap that guys going through.
    there's so many references you could find that is very similar and got totally ignored.
    But how did they find the guys collection?
    Spy on his internet habits(is that illegal?)? Track him down, break in his house, steal his collection and search for anything remotely offensive to a few people?
    Bah I hope he wins, sues and wins and common sense prevails.

I could draw two blatantly looking 12YO girls having sex and then claim I created them and in my story their 173YO immortals. I win. *sticks finger up @ government* *swaggers away*
    Far too awesome for your eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by MindWanderer View Post
    Wow... I don't get it though.. I still don't see why he is being prosecuted..
    What kinda images would get a person prosecuted...??
    Yeah I remember us discussing this on the IRC. It seems a couple of the volumes had loli in it in what was considered sexually indecent situations if I remember rightly. It all comes down whether the law being used to prosecute him is constitutional or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    If Pow wrote the manga it would be accurate as fuck lol. I stand behind Pow(while humping his leg) on this one.
    Troll Tagged by Uzumaki_Tim

I vote unconstitutional.