Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Lost in fathomed infinity Freakshow's Avatar

Post The Orochi clan (Yamata No Orochi)

Read this if you are interested in knowing more about Orochimaru.

And find out about how:

• Senju defeated Orochimaru's clan.

• How Orochimaru can summon Hydra.

• And who Orochimaru really was.

If you don't like reading, there are many pretty pics below..XD

Intro:

You've seen the sinister character called Orochimaru in this series; you've seen the mystery surrounding this character and the chaotic mind of his. It's impossible to fully describe him and his nature. Ambitious genius, twisted, spontaneous, unremorseless, inhuman, human, constantly on war, confident, reckless, malevolent mastermind, the list goes on. We can all agree whether he pleases you or not, he is an entity that cannot be described. To go deeper with his character we have to look way back:

:::::::::: YAMATA NO OROCHI::::::::::

A short introduction and the mythical creature called Yamata no Orochi.

Most of the readers of the Naruto manga see Yamata no Orochi as weak summoning creature, insignificant because of the outcome of that last battle, it come off as pathetic for such majestic creature. While in myth and legends, it’s greatly appreciated. It has the name 'Orochi' from the Orochi clan. (In which will later be explained)

Spoiler!

Yamata was a chthonic creature from the ancient world. Stories told about Yamata all seem to agree that it was truly magnificent and terrible, and that it had multiple heads and a gigantic body that was said to stretch across eight hills and valleys. While the poets mentioned it had more heads than the vase-painters could paint and poisonous breath. Some sources offer that the number eight may be indicative of simply an indiscriminate large number, and that Yamata might be much more massive than some may think.

Spoiler!

Pay attention to the bolde'd text: "Secret jutsu", using the "power of rebirth" and "dragon god".
    Continuing...

::::::::::::::::

::::::::::IN THE BEGINNING: THE OROCHI CLAN::::::::::

1800 years ago, in the times of Feudal Japan, there lived many religious sects. Of the hundreds, there was one that was called the Orochi, roughly translatable as "Serpent". Members of this clan became numerous and it became large, dark natured and brutal. It began to seek greater power amongst the other clans and began to fight and defeat smaller clans and became one of the largest clans in Japan. They became very powerful because of a spiritual link to the mystical creature Yamata (Hydra\Dragon God).

The Orochi harnessed this power from the dragon-God and become extremely powerful. For the Orochi to wake the Yamata, they sacrificed 8 young souls to release it from it's slumber. After the souls were sacrificed to Yamata and reaped the enormous powers of the dragon-god, symbolized by the stained purple Orochi blood.
    Spoiler!

When they became powerful, three large clans baded together and vowed to stop the slaughtering of the Orochi clan. They were the Kusanagi, Senju and Yata clans. They gathered in Fire Country, and they combined their forces to defeat the Orochi clan. After many decades,the the Kusunagi and Yata were defeated by the Orochi clan, but the Senju eventually defeated the Orochi clan, The Senju growing in power and dominance, created an eerie and fatal blood-pact with the Orochi clan. The Senju had to let one of the Orochi live through with the Yamata, the dragon-god in his own blood. As they only sealed the Yamata no orochi and did not destroy it. The clan agreed to this and the Yamata lived again through the blood of what was left of the Orochi clan. A young boy called Orochimaru. And that is where the tale of the snake sannin started.

::::::: Historical representations :::::::

Orochi literally means > 'Serpent'. Regardless of their dark nature, the Orochi clan were representative of the 'Ouroboros' system and good fortune.

Spoiler!

Ouroboros is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon swallowing its own tail and forming a circle.
    -In Gnosticism, this serpent symbolized eternity.
    -In some representations the serpent is shown as half light and half dark, echoing symbols such as the Yin Yang, which illustrates the dual nature of all things.
    -The Ouroboros often represents self-reflexivity or cyclicality, especially in the sense of something constantly re-creating itself, the eternal return, and other things perceived as cycles that begin anew as soon as they end
    I can hardly think of a more fitting description for the snake sannin and his nature. Snake biting it's own tail can represent evil and good. If you really wanna get more into it then here is more representations to the Orochi clan:

Spoiler!
    This describes the eternal snake. The nature of the Orochi.

::::::::::::::::::

A very short conclusion

Hopefully this theory explained why Sarutobi was so dear to Orochimaru, and held him close more then anyone. We can notice Kishimoto is not ready to let go of this character. What we have yet to see is unknown, but it's rather unlikely that, at that one last moment, Kishi would reveal Yamata and it's presence filled the air heavily and immediately dispatched of it with Susano'o. My guess is only reason he has done that is because he gave us a glim's of what we will see more of and that the end is only the beginning.

Notice: The myths mention > sacrifice souls to the Yamata. Orochimaru has done sacrificing souls to manda and Edo Tensei. I's also likely he would sacrifice souls to yamata just like his clan.. The way the myths described it.

:::::::::::::::::::

Thank you so much for reading^^ Hope you enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Freakshow; 11-15-2008 at 03:50 AM.

great theory Freakshow u maybe be right about that we can still see more of oro but i gotta say I can't see the resemble in the pic of the orochi clan to the one u point and that info about oro in the databook was awesome
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kick me high, hit me low, spit on me it's gonna take more than that to break my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by sevencold19 View Post
    great theory Freakshow u maybe be right about that we can still see more of oro but i gotta say I can't see the resemble in the pic of the orochi clan to the one u point and that info about oro in the databook was awesome
    Thank you^^

Which pic do you mean? The pics I posted are from the Japanese myth.
    Then I tried to find connections to the manga.

I can't wait!

awsome theory i want to know many bodies has orochimaru used and if it is related to this quote
    they sacrificed 8 young souls to release it from it's slumber
    Spoiler!

I mean this pic i can't see the resemble
    Spoiler!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kick me high, hit me low, spit on me it's gonna take more than that to break my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed Monster View Post
    awsome theory i want to know many bodies has orochimaru used and if it is related to this quote
    ยจ^ I dunno. But wee have seen him sacrifice hundred to Manda.
    Maybe manda is just greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by sevencold19 View Post
    I mean this pic i can't see the resemble
    Spoiler!

Well, that icon I used is from the myth, and we can't expect Kishimoto to copy directly.
    But as you can see both of the pics have the same motion to it. The snaky and boldness.

::Here are more amusing images::
    Spoiler!

All of these are connected to the Yamata no orochi.

So that's how it went down... very good read. nice job FS.
    "I'm like the sun, I'm trying to shine on everybody"
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

State Alchemist Monkey D. Dragon's Avatar
    I actually read the whole thing.

This didn't really change how I think, Orochimaru is uber elite.

The picture with the blood and clans is just pure genius. Holy crap! look at the blood!

Awesome job man.

Imo! XD...

There are actually real temples and statues in Japan that still exist to this day:
    Spoiler!

I agree, this is a good theory! And you did it without stating truths...this is great!

If you can address my problem, please do so. Here is my problem. It is with the time line.

Most likely, by the time Orochimaru broke out of his mothers womb; the 'Clan Wars', the war when individual clans fought against each other long ago, was already in history, so the battle that you stated couldn't have happened during the time that Orochimaru was alive.

The clan agreed to this and the Yamata lived again through the blood of what was left of the Orochi clan. A young boy called Orochimaru. And that is where the tale of the snake sannin started.
    So how could they let one survive, and get the Yamata, when the one that did survive, and get it, wasn't even born yet? Now if what you say holds true, then Orochimaru is extremly old, maybe as old as Madara, and that the Data books are wrong, since he is only like 50ish.

Also, in the manga, I remember that Sarutobi, and J-Man told us that Orochimaru changed when his parents died. Since his parents died during that time frame, some of the Orochi Clan must have survived, and not only Orochimaru. Maybe I am reading it wrong, and that you meant 'The clan agreed to this and the Yamata lived again through the blood of one of the survivors of the Orochi Clan'?

But other than that good pics, and it was entertaining.
    The meaning of life is to give life meaning. Restore the balance, between thinking and feeling
    Paradise lost- From heaven to hell-