Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout 3

Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar

Fallout 3

Fallout 3 takes place in a post-apocalyptic United States in the year 2277. The player character is a member of Vault 101, a fallout shelter serving Washington, D.C. The player character lives with his/her widower father until, one day, the player wakes up finding that the father has left the vault and ventured into the wasteland for unknown reasons. The vault overseer becomes suspicious that the player had something to do with the father's disappearance, and the character decides to go out into the Capital Wasteland in search of him. Along the way, the player will encounter organizations seen in the previous games, including the Brotherhood of Steel, a group of technology-coveting survivors, and the Enclave, the elitist and genocidal remnant of the U.S. government.

Well this game comes out tomorrow and suffice it to say I'm buying it. Bethesda seems to have really outdone themselves on this one from what I've seen. Granted, it'll never be as good as the first two Fallouts but it's looking like a solid game with plenty of action and plenty to do.

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

i just picked up my copy. unfortunately my xbox rrod'ed last week so it will still be a couple of days before i get it back. I the strat guide is intimidating at 500 pages but it looks like the game will completely live up to the original 2 installments. If you ask me this has game of the year written all over it. I dont even think GTA4 can hold up to this monster.

I don't think I'll pick this one up. Haven't played the previous 2 games, so no nostalgic feeling. To many other games being released to have time for this one.

God, I so want to play this game. The first two games were awesome (still better than most games on the market) and I can hardly wait to get my hands on a copy. I really loved the atmosphere that the originals had and the fact that you could do everything.

I just hope that Fallout 3 wont suck as much as Oblivion did (since Bethesda developed it)...

I never played the first two, and am not sure what the hype is about. I watched a lot of gameplay videos and the graphics look alright...not OMFGWTFBBQ good (like most fans say). Even the physics engine doesn't look too good. I watch a gameplay video and it showed some guys being blown up by a grenade and their limbs looked like robots (stiff legged) as they flew. I wasn't too impressed.

I guess it must be the story/atmosphere that other fans speak of (like Krisclin) that makes it so good. Also, does the little cartoon guy running not look like the guy from Bioshock? Not sure if you catch what I mean, but when they show the main character interfacing with his computer, often there is a cartoon guy with some words next to him...

Should I buy? What are the elements/back story that makes this game so good? What is it about a post apocalyptic America that is so awesome?

the cartoon guy is the iconic pipboy...he is the "mascot" of fallout and the personal computer pda thing that is used in all installments to managed inventory,quests,character sheet ect. the reason it looks like bioshock is because they borrow inspiration for the same era/art style. However if you are insinuating that fallout is ripping off bioshock then check the date the 1st fallout (along with pipboy) hit the scene in the early 90s.

now that that's out of the way if you are passing this just because you haven't played the original 2 you are making a huge mistake. On its own its one of the best looking and most massive games on the market. Yes bethesda has problems with rendering fluidity in movement but that's the only complaint I've found. the land scape is beautiful and the skins are super detailed.

as for play the draw of fallout in all incarnations is to truly play the game however you want. if you choose to shoot you way through the wastes or talk your way into the ranks of the brotherhood. its up to you. make the character you want and play the game how you see fit. There are multiple solution,outcome,and consequences to every event. Add to that a staggering karma system that fable can't touch and you'll know why fallout fans are so devout.

this time around theve added even more depth to items including a stem for repairing your weapons and creating new ones from scrap in the wastes.

with the multiple paths thru the main story plus who knows how many side quests and one of the most innovative character creation/tutorial sequences I've ever seen nobody should sleep on this game...do yourself a favor even if you have your doubts rent it or make friends with someone who has it and check it out....you never know it could have you scrapping up a copy of 1 and 2 to see how it all started.

PS this is a standalone story so you need not have palyed the originals to pickup and go.

Your points have been echoed in many other reviews; I guess maybe the skins/graphics/landscape just don't come across on any of the "gameplay" videos out there. Good point, rental and check it for myself.

No, I wasn't insinuating a theft of mascot; but rather, I wanted to know in what context that guy was being used and wasn't sure I was clear in his description. I guess I could have said your avatar.

Well I picked my copy up and have been playing it for quite some time.

Forst off I have to say that the beginning is great. You literally begin playing the game from your character's birth. You experience life as you grow up in the Vault and the story is set up to help you set up your stats and skills as you level up. (Lol at learning your primary attributes from a baby book.) The story's starts simple but expands into something on a far larger scale. I'm liking the story so far.

Now to the deal breaker. Gameplay. Some people call this game Oblivion with guns. While that applies to some extent that's a gross understatement. Combat is simple and easy to pick up and play. you can always just shoot your opponent until he dies. But keep in mind this isn't an FPS and you won't really be strafing. Cover is your best friend. The best part of combat is VATS with you being able to target 6 different body sections which, after being hit, give your enemies different penalties to their stats. But keep in mind that these penalties apply to you when you're hit as well. No matter whether you use a .10 pistol or the minigun VATS ensures that combat is kept strategic and entertaining.

Even though the game is great things can't be perfect. There are a few glitches with characters getting stuck on walls. There was even a point where I got sandwiched between two rocks and was mercilessly destroyed by raiders without being able to fight back. The rock thing has only happened to me once however so I wouldn't count that as a consistent glitch. The game also suffers from the same problem as Oblivion with Bethesda employing few voice actors for the many characters so you end up hearing the same voices over and over again.

All in all Fallout 3 is a great game. I'm not really that far in the main quest but things have already started to pick up in the story. There are plenty of side quests to engross yourself with and the unique and in depth SPECIAL systems ensures that no two people will be playing the same type of character. You'll definitely have to make multiple characters for different play styles which just adds to the replayability of this game. The glitches are there but they're seldom and can be overlooked when looking at the whole of the game.

9.5/10 Easily Game of the Year material.

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

Don't mind my post above. I picked it up and it's good . Can't play much since I have exams, but played about 5/6 hours and has potential .

So did you people save Megaton or destroyed it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Phixion View Post
    Don't mind my post above. I picked it up and it's good . Can't play much since I have exams, but played about 5/6 hours and has potential .

So did you people save Megaton or destroyed it ?
    Megaton's still there for me. I like having my house and bobbleheads intact. ^_^

MyAnimeList MyMangaList