Hybrid View

Smile video help, please.

as the title says, i need some help regarding videos. More specifically: converting a MKV file to AVI. And one more thing: how do you make the file smaller (like, less that 200mb or 100mb or whatever)

okay, all you computer geniuses out there, lend me your knowledge!!
    and, yeah, i would like to know these things to make it easier/faster to upload onto veoh.

Millennium Army Earl angelic_error's Avatar
    avi files are larger than mkv and often have less quality...avi is just popular since it's microsoft's main format.

remember D. Gray-Man fans discuss the manga and anime at ROI and enter the contest too click me!

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_error View Post
    avi files are larger than mkv and often have less quality...avi is just popular since it's microsoft's main format.
    I can't help but get the feeling that that statement contains 1-3 errors xD
    Anyway, I believe, don't quote me on it though, that MKV is a container-file, most of the time containing just a different video file and some subtitles, and perhaps an extra audio stream. If you download a program called VirtualDubMod you ought to be able to do what you want to do shouldn't be too hard to find, just google it.
    Last edited by Sulimo; 08-01-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Queen Most
    Likely To Be King
    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_error View Post
    Errrr?

The quality is dependent on the codec - Not the container.

And "microsoft's main format" would be WMV...

you can increase the quality and lower your file size if u use 2 pass encoding !
    u can try an encoder called super

do this. use the 2nd method "How to convert from OGM to AVI or MKV to AVI with mp3 audio and xvid video" once you done converting, grab this file if you wanna extract subs. run MKVextractGUI.exe and load the .mkv file and extract. After that just use VLC player to load the file and subs. been using this method for a while. works like a charm ^^

as for the file size, .rmvb works the best. although i don't really like it but its compression is good ^^

if you want permanent subs try this

hope this helps
    Last edited by Truedream; 08-03-2007 at 06:51 PM.

ah, thanks for the advice, peeps...i'll give one of those methods a try...one day. i'll get around to it. =D

its easy actually. run cmd and type this "C:\Program Files\mplayer\mencoder.exe" "c:\video\inputvideo.mkv" -oac mp3lame -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1 -o "c:\video\outputvideo.avi"

and ur done!