View Poll Results: Do you prefer to watch your anime dubbed or subtitled?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dubbed

7 5.60%
  • Subbed

108 86.40%
  • I watch it dubbed with subtitles.

0 0%
  • I don't have a preference.

10 8.00%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Subbed. I like to watch programs with their original language

Quote Originally Posted by tobeza View Post
    Subbed. I like to watch programs with their original language
    Well that doesn't matter to me as long as the dubs are good, but they suck bigtime with the most anime(naruto)

Yea, but Full Metal Panic, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo (everone except jin's voice in this one), and quite a few other animes have better dubs than their original subs.

Hum...Original Japanese voice actors generally have greater control over the emotional scenes. More than half of the dubs are inferior compare to the original. The sub simply make the original understandable. The majority of the translation groups sub episodes fairly well with appropriate language skills. To speak the truth, I prefer sub as subtitles never bothered me. More importantly, most dubs are edited. That sucks, unless you are willing to pay for DVD sets. Full metal alchemist and Inuyasha dubs are fairly good. One Piece dub is the worst in dubbing history, even Pokemon was better than that.

Weirdest Fangirl Ever streetbum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    Lol@Naruto and Bleach dubs. I hate their voices..so much..especially Rukia's. Does not fit at ALL.
    LMAO! You're saying that Bleach has a bad dub? Let's see here, bloods intact, swearings there, original openings and endings, same plot, nothings really changed other then voices.

Basically you just think Bleach has a bad dub because the voices aren't to you're preference when nothings changed. Would you like me to record a One Piece episode for you to show what a bad dub truly is?

Alright, let's use comparisons.
    Spoiler!
    >_> They are both pretty bad.

Regular Member Chainsaw_Chimaera's Avatar
    I prefer to watch my anime subbed. Since they don't need to worry about syncing the voice up with lip flaps it means they don't have to make any variations with the text. In other words they can have a literal translation. Though having a basic understanding of Japanese culture helps to understand references that some people might not get otherwise (this normally occurs more in comedies then any other type).

However, there are plenty of animes I end up watching dubbed as well. I don't think that the dubs on a decent amount of anime is that horrible in this day and age. On top of that it allows for it to reach a broader audience, which IMO is a good thing. My nephew for example would not have the joy of Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, or InuYasha if it wasn't for dubs. Many companies are now trying very hard to limit their edits to shows as much as possible (exception to this is 4kids.. but thats a different rant), only really making edits that are needed to meet broadcast standards for the time slot that the show is being aired in.

It can be hard to hear voices that don't match the way they sound in their native language (thus the way most of us are used to hearing them) and then later in English. However, many voice actors put forth a really great effort to make the dubs presentable. In a lot of ways its like theater, if you see a production that you've seen before with a new cast its gonna have a lot of things different, but different does not always equal horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by moronic_badger View Post
    LMAO! You're saying that Bleach has a bad dub? Let's see here, bloods intact, swearings there, original openings and endings, same plot, nothings really changed other then voices.

Basically you just think Bleach has a bad dub because the voices aren't to you're preference when nothings changed. Would you like me to record a One Piece episode for you to show what a bad dub truly is?
    The only difference between dubbed and subbed is the voices. At least, that's what I was thinking when I made this topic.

The dubbed refers to the final product with the English voices, the stuff that would come out on DVD. Nothing changed except the voices. So, if the English voices are bad, then the dub is bad; it doesn't mean the television version is bad (except for the voices).

I'm more concerned with this poll with what people prefer to watch when they have a DVD. I almost always go right for the subbed with the original Japanese voices. Some people prefer the English dub.

If the question only refers to the stuff shown on TV, then of course people are only going to say whether they like the voices or hate them, like with Naruto and Bleach, because that's all they have to choose from (if they don't download).

I'd like someone to mention a series that doesn't come on TV besides FMP. Am I the only one who's watched other series on DVD?
    All glory to Haruhi! The one and true God!

Dragonball Z was probably the only exception but I prefer subtitles.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Subs are, overall a better choice, but I will watch ADV dubs since they are all quite excellent in my opinion, in this case I'm talking about shows like Full Metal Panic, RahXephon, Excel Saga etc.

Spoiler!

Why don't more people read these mangas?