Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Luffy for President! Drago Musevini's Avatar

One Piece Bounties and love?! what's up with that...

hi there folks. if this was already discussed then sorry --> close topic if so.
    but, here's the thing that's been bothering me since.. Arlong arc.

1. Value of money in one piece.
    is luffy's 300mill belli a lot? everyone, who heard this number in the manga was quite amazed. even earlier, his 30min back at east blue was considered a LOT.
    but is it really?
    in logue town, when zoro wanted to buy a katana, the guy said that 1 shitty katana is 50 000 belli. (and when you look at it, a shitty katana is just a sharpened piece of iron.. so its kinda worthless.)
    luffy's bounty at that time, was 30mil and he was considered to be the most dangerous person in the whole EB. it was satted to be the record amount, for east blue.
    so, if some1 catched luffy, and sold him ti marines, he'd got 30mill belli. and with that 30mill, he could buy... 600 worthless katanas. or one good katana (it was said, that zoro's wadou was about 22 mil)
    so, if you kill the most dangerous guy in the whole ocean, you could buy yourself a nice katana... is it just me, or does this seem kinda stupid?
    even when luffys bounty is 300mill, you could buy .. 13 nice katanas... thats nearly enought, for a squad. for the head, of a guy, who beat 2 shichibukais, waged war on the WG, destroyed CP9 you could get just .. 13 nice swords?! there's got to be something wrong with that.

also, the thing with Arlong. Nami had to gather 100mill belli, to buy kokoyashi vill. but, each month, just from kokoyashi got about 25mill belli.
    why would he sell a village, when he could get this amout in just 4 short months? it doesnt make any sense.
    it might've been just an excuse, to make nami draw the maps. but, he could say, that he'd sell the vill for.. dunno, 1 billion belli.

2. now, for a different topic. why isnt there a love motive in one piece?
    in nearly every anime series (shonen/seinen, not to mention shojo) there is love somewhere.
    naruto has a crush on sakura (and probably sasuke )
    inoue has a crush on ichigo
    Relena had a crush on heero
    athrun was in love with cagalli, and kira in lacus
    misa was totaly into Light
    .. i could go on and on, but you get the point.
    also, i dont consider sanji's.. love explosions as part of it. they're just a gague, meant to be funny, without any further consequences.
    im not saying, that in every anime i want to see pple falling in love with each other but.. one piece is getting kinda.. too straight-forward.
    since ep 1 its all about "ill protect my nakama" and "become something".
    i think that it lacks a fresh, new development.
    it may still be introduced later on, but...

anyway, what do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Drago Musevini View Post
    hi there folks. if this was already discussed then sorry --> close topic if so.
    but, here's the thing that's been bothering me since.. Arlong arc.

1. Value of money in one piece.
    is luffy's 300mill belli a lot? everyone, who heard this number in the manga was quite amazed. even earlier, his 30min back at east blue was considered a LOT.
    but is it really?
    in logue town, when zoro wanted to buy a katana, the guy said that 1 shitty katana is 50 000 belli. (and when you look at it, a shitty katana is just a sharpened piece of iron.. so its kinda worthless.)
    luffy's bounty at that time, was 30mil and he was considered to be the most dangerous person in the whole EB. it was satted to be the record amount, for east blue.
    so, if some1 catched luffy, and sold him ti marines, he'd got 30mill belli. and with that 30mill, he could buy... 600 worthless katanas. or one good katana (it was said, that zoro's wadou was about 22 mil)
    so, if you kill the most dangerous guy in the whole ocean, you could buy yourself a nice katana... is it just me, or does this seem kinda stupid?
    even when luffys bounty is 300mill, you could buy .. 13 nice katanas... thats nearly enought, for a squad. for the head, of a guy, who beat 2 shichibukais, waged war on the WG, destroyed CP9 you could get just .. 13 nice swords?! there's got to be something wrong with that.
    The "NICE" katana you're talking about are Legendary katana. There's only few of them around the world and of course the price would be high for one. Sorry but I don't see the logic why you would compare 600 worthless Katana to Luffy's bounty.

also, the thing with Arlong. Nami had to gather 100mill belli, to buy kokoyashi vill. but, each month, just from kokoyashi got about 25mill belli.
    why would he sell a village, when he could get this amout in just 4 short months? it doesnt make any sense.
    it might've been just an excuse, to make nami draw the maps. but, he could say, that he'd sell the vill for.. dunno, 1 billion belli.
    Yes to motivate nami that she can free the village and to get her not to abadon the village

2. now, for a different topic. why isnt there a love motive in one piece?
    in nearly every anime series (shonen/seinen, not to mention shojo) there is love somewhere.
    naruto has a crush on sakura (and probably sasuke )
    inoue has a crush on ichigo
    Relena had a crush on heero
    athrun was in love with cagalli, and kira in lacus
    misa was totaly into Light
    .. i could go on and on, but you get the point.
    also, i dont consider sanji's.. love explosions as part of it. they're just a gague, meant to be funny, without any further consequences.
    im not saying, that in every anime i want to see pple falling in love with each other but.. one piece is getting kinda.. too straight-forward.
    since ep 1 its all about "ill protect my nakama" and "become something".
    i think that it lacks a fresh, new development.
    it may still be introduced later on, but...

anyway, what do you guys think?
    Because luffy and gang are too immature to think about love(except Sanji)

You're forgetting OP's greatest and most obvious strength: it's just plain fun.

State Alchemist Monkey D. Dragon's Avatar
    For the love thing... thank god there's no thing in OP. All notions so far are inferred and I like kubo doing it like that. I like the nakama motive. It might be old, but its still awesome.

That katana he was gonna buy is a LEGENDARY katana. He should be surprised its sitting in a shop, and that theres not some weird quest you have to finish to get it.

NO LOVE PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by sirhucksalot View Post
    You're forgetting OP's greatest and most obvious strength: it's just plain fun.
    DAMN STRAIGHT!

2nd Commander of WB crew DragonSlayer's Avatar
    Yes love ! But no romance. What kind of Love ? The Love of your nakama and those that are close to you, that's an important love. And it's not because SH are too immature to think about getting a lover, they don't need one nor do they care. Look at their strenght and their courage and their other qualities. They got that because they didn't focus on worthless things like romance.

State Alchemist Monkey D. Dragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
    Yes love ! But no romance. What kind of Love ? The Love of your nakama and those that are close to you, that's an important love. And it's not because SH are too immature to think about getting a lover, they don't need one nor do they care. Look at their strenght and their courage and their other qualities. They got that because they didn't focus on worthless things like romance.
    So true... I guess they sorta gave some romance in the shape of a human with the name of sanji. But he's just a perv so i'm cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
    Look at their strenght and their courage and their other qualities. They got that because they didn't focus on worthless things like romance.
    No. They got that because Oda gave them those traits. They would gain all those strength even if they have romance in their life. They are the protagonist the heroine of the story. Oh by the way its not that I like One Piece to have a romance or anything. I'm fine with how the story goes right now.

Oda already answered the question of Love in the SBS.

He said, "Yes, there is love in One Piece. And the strawhats are in love.... WITH ADVENTURE!"

Love? The first chapter is named Romance dawn. If that's not enough then what about Usopp's friend from his village, whats-her-name? Then there is Sanji.... Well anyways, a series doesn't need love to be great, just look at OP's predecessor, Dragonball, there was no romance between the characters and yet some of them ended up together. It's realistic that way.

Luffy for President! Drago Musevini's Avatar
    its not like im telling oda "hey, dude, do love in One piece keke?!"
    im just saying, that one piece somewhat lacks drama. all the stuff about nakama is cool, but its kinda.. worn out.
    to have a good story, you have to have drama in it. you usually achieve it, by having some1 die. however, since no1 dies in op, there can be no drama.
    there is no point in story without pple passig away.
    lucchi was defeated by luffy, so was baggy, alvida, and many others. what keeps them, from going after him?
    if everyone of them teamed up, luffy would be in serious trouble, and he'd most likely loose some of his nakama. this is what you get without enemies/friends dying.
    you may say "nah, none of his friends would have died.. no one dies in One piece".
    but then, its just more messed up.
    this is the situation:
    xx of SH enemies joins forces, and goes after them (many of which should have been dead) and kill most of his friends.. and neither of them dies..
    you gotta admit it, its kinda.. childish.

i like one piece, I really do, but this fact bothers me a lot. if you dont remove your foes, you can never move forward, cuz` they're always be after you. fact, that you defeated them once, doesn't mean you can just keep fight them without end.
    people die, as luffy said it himself.

also, zoro's wadou ichimonchi (sorry if i twisted the name) is not a legendary katana. its just one of these rare 50. even the blade he got from ryuuma isnt LEGENDARY. if i remember correctly, its was one of those 13 art of bla bla.
    legendary is Mihawk's Black Sword.
    so, zoro's katana is just nice.
    and i wasnt comparing luffys bounty, to katana. i was mearly making a point, that monetary value in OP is messed up.
    how can a head of the most wanted person in all of East Blue be worth just as much as a nice sword? shouldnt it be a lot more?
    one more comparisment. how can the most wanted head in East blue (when it was worht 30mil) be about as much, as a monthly extortion for some random village?
    when arlong first arrived at kokoyashi, he gathered about 25mill belli from all the citizens. and got the same amount each month. how can luffys bounty be only a lil` higher than a monthly pay off of a single village?