View Poll Results: Aired or Chronological?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aired

20 71.43%
  • Chronological

8 28.57%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Haruhi - Aired Order or Chronological?

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is very popular, but there seems to be one thing that splits up the fans - how do you watch it?

The episode order when it aired was a complete chronological wreck, with the first episode aired being the eleventh time-wise. It lasts that way throughout the entire series.

I've heard that there's been talk about when releasing the series on DVD whether to release the episodes in the aired order or the chronological order.

So, what does everybody here think? Aired or chronological? Why?

Personally, I say that people should watch it as it was aired. It was shown that way for a reason. It adds to the overall craziness of the series. The show is a lot less nutty in chronological order. Besides, it's not hard to watch the series in chronological order after you've watched it as it aired, in case you want to make sure you get everything right. And, if I'm not incorrect, the books on which the show is based, isn't in chronological order either.
    All glory to Haruhi! The one and true God!

Chronological, wtf is wrong with the person who voted for aired order. *slaps them*

edit: the books are chronological actually, I'm pretty sure.

Queen Most
    Likely To Be King
    Definitely aired.

That's the way it's meant to be shown, the way it was designed to be shown, and that's they way it should be shown.

It adds to character development, theming, and overall meaning in the anime.

Retired Administrator
    I have never watched it in chronological order. First it seems like too much work to do. Second i was meant to be viewed all messed up like.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    PGP Key Here

Aired order is confusing, i stopped at the 4the episodes and waited for all the episode to air, then i watched then in chronological order.
    but i think what they wanted to achieve by airing in a random order, was to create a certain familiarity with the characters (and in the same time confusing a bit the spectators)
    and also to make as if the story never ends

Chronological and plus the dvd has delted scenes never shown on aired i got the special boxset
    http://mangashare.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic254_5.gif

Nyu~~ It's tied.

The series has won awards for how good it is - if it's so good, then how can there be a HUGE flaw like airing the episodes the wrong way? Saying that the episodes shouldn't have been shown that way is saying that there is something wrong with the series.

I'll be frank with my opinion - watching the episodes in the aired order is like watching (and understanding) Death Note. It's complex and may seem confusing, but if you think about it, it makes sense. No offense to anybody, but if you can't make sense of Haruhi in the aired order, then you can't make sense of Death Note (and similar series).

As I said above, the series loses a lot when it's seen in the chronological order. Watching it in anachronic order makes you pay attention and think and be curious. "What is Koizumi talking about?" "How does Nagato do that?" "WHY DID THEY MAKE A MOVIE?!?!?!"

It's like the movie Memento. It seems crazy, but it's a lot of fun watching it and putting the pieces together.
    All glory to Haruhi! The one and true God!

Regular Member Chainsaw_Chimaera's Avatar
    I think the series might be more confusing when watched in the aired order, but it is much more fun to watch it that way as well.

well, if they put all the chapters of the book into the anime then i would choose chronological, aired is better with these first two volumes only

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    Chronological, wtf is wrong with the person who voted for aired order. *slaps them*

edit: the books are chronological actually, I'm pretty sure.
    the only non-chronological parts are where kyon is remembering past events like bamboo leaf rhapsody or the baseball game and the mystery island. you can read the translated books at

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...86.82.E9.AC.B1
    Last edited by Ninjastik; 07-30-2007 at 10:45 PM.