Namesakes: Sarutobi Sasuke

As we know, Naruto received his name from Jiraya's character. Throughout his life so far, Naruto is shown to bring that character's ideals to reality. He is living up to and reflecting his namesake.

What about Sasuke? He is still as of now believed the principle antagonist and counter to Naruto. Who is Sasuke's namesake? He was named after the Third Hokage's father. Such a person would be similar in age to Hashirama and Madara. That being said, what sort of role do you think Sarutobi Sasuke played during the frequent skirmishes between uchiha and senju? What about the founding and early days of konaha?

Keep in mind that the later flashbacks dealing with the uchiha massacre, the third hokage handled matters with a soft spot for the uchiha and counted them among his close allies or friends. Also, if any of the uchiha were to give their a child a name for reasons of an outsider, that outsider must be pretty special. Kushina goes on to tell Sasuke's mom that if his name comes from the third's dad then he will be a strong and fine ninja! That means Sarutobi Sasuke had an established reputation even during the time of legends hashirama and madara.

What sort of relationship did sarutobi sasuke have with madara and/or hashirama?

What sorts if things will uchiha sasuke end up reflecting from his namesake? Can we make guesses as to what sarutobi sasuke was like and flesh out conditions of that time period based on how we have seen uchiha sasuke behave?
    _____
    Obito is Tobirama's great grandson. The proof is in the pudding.

Only thing I can now come up with is that Sarutobi Sasuke was sort of like big bro for Senju brothers. Sarutobi was a kid during Hashirama's days so something tells me Sasuke was a bit older than First. He might have been sort of elder figure who handled negotiations and such. Maybe he was key figure handling the unification of those two enemy clans and founding of Konoha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Only thing I can now come up with is that Sarutobi Sasuke was sort of like big bro for Senju brothers. Sarutobi was a kid during Hashirama's days so something tells me Sasuke was a bit older than First. He might have been sort of elder figure who handled negotiations and such. Maybe he was key figure handling the unification of those two enemy clans and founding of Konoha.
    Great post, thank you

What you say makes perfect sense. The third was described as a moderate who preferred "diplomatic " means yet still dealt the tough hands when necessary. That is exactly the kind of figure a heated clan rivalry needs. I bet the third inherited quite a few traits from his father regarding that. I wonder how this translates into sasuke possibly developing into a moderate uchiha who sheds his boyhood darkness in folly. Maybe sarutobi sasuke helped bridge an understanding between the clans and found a realistic balance between the two destinies of the sons of the six paths. When we consider this as abstraction we can apply it to uchiha sasuke and begin to see the possible role he will fill in tempering naruto's extreme and wishful ambitions to instill peace and eradicate hatred from his world and assist naruto into coping with a world nobody can fully save.
    _____
    Obito is Tobirama's great grandson. The proof is in the pudding.

Considering the lengthy history of Sarutobi Sasuke in Japanese popular culture we can assume this character will either be badass or never seen. To me it seems we're running out of time before the manga ends and I'm wondering where his story could fit in. Kishimoto has emphasized that master/student relationships quite a bit and it seems like most of the major players have had elite shinobi there to help them grow. Kishimoto has already drawn these links between Tobirama and Naruto, with Hiruzen, Jiraiya, Minato and Kakashi filling the gap. Naruto even has Konohamaru.

Tobirama----> Hiruzen----> Jiraiya----> Minato----> Kakashi----> Naruto----> Konohamaru

Naruto was also trained by Jiraiya, but they were not part of a team together. I think this is also how it was with Hiruzen, as he was supposedly trained by both the Shodaime and the Nidaime, but he was part of a team with Tobirama and not Hashirama. This is about as far as we can go back up this line of master/student relationships without more information. We need Hashirama and Tobirama's ages. How close in age were they? They appeared to be of a similar age when Orochimaru edo'd them, but all this means is that they were of similar age when they died. Was Hashirama Tobirama's teacher or were they friendly rivals? My prediction is that they are around a decade apart in age, allowing for Hashirama to have been Tobirama's master.

...but there is another possibility. Just like we can follow the master/student relationships from Naruto back to Hashirama and Tobirama, we can do the same with Sasuke.

Hashirama----> Tobirama----> Hiruzen----> Jiraiya----> Minato----> Kakashi----> Sasuke

Except we should be able to trace Sasuke back to Madara, not Hashirama. So here's my prediction for Sarutobi Sasuke.

Madara----> Sarutobi Sasuke----> Danzo----> Hatake Sakumo----> ???? ----> Itachi----> Sasuke

Kakashi may have led team 7, but it was Itachi who made Sasuke the ninja he is. Minato may also have been trained by Hatake Sakumo after being part of team Jiraiya, though this is not something backed up by hard evidence, I just sense a pattern.

This is all I can come up with for now... When I first read the original post in this thread, I didn't give it much thought, but it's bugging me now. Who is Sarutobi Sasuke? Is there a reason I forgot he even existed or will he be revealed and used to tie up current loose ends?

I wonder if Sarutobi Sasuke is the mysterious man Sasuke is heading to. If he had the implications with both clans and the founding of konoha, then sasuke's questions about the cla, the village will be answered well by him. Only problem is, he seems to be dead long ago. Will they resurrect him with edo tensei? Or is he still alive somehow?