Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ilollipopz View Post
    Pokemon was a pretty good dub.

-hides from people with guns-

Well, it WAS. The squeaky Ash voice was always funny, and the Japanese VA was a bit hard to adjust.

Team Rocket is funnier in English than Japanese too. xD
    I agree.
    Even after all these years I still remember pokemon has one of the best dubs ever, team rocket comes up with the funniest (English) puns around which I think would not have been the same if it was in Japanese.

Anyway it's true though, most English anime dubs are horrible. The latest one I saw is gundam 00, I was watching that Hallelujah torture scene (dubbed) from season 1 and godDAMN it's making my ears bleed. Another horrible dub I can think of is Death Note when Raito said "I will take out a potato chip... AND EAT IT!" or something like that... BLEEEH it sounds really irritating. Good dubs exist but are quiet rare.

However strangely enough I do find english dubs in Japanese RPG games to be generally well done, such as; suikoden 5, valkyrie profile 2, tales of the abyss, persona 3 (Aegis's robot accent was done quiet well) ect
    I reckon it's usually better than anime voice actors.

Donning the Vizard Mask! niorjan45's Avatar
    In the deepest, darkest part of Hueco Mundo!
    well umm: DBZ,Gundam wing, DBGT, Escaflowne, pokemon, digimon, a awole lot of other ones that i dont wanna say (sat morning cartoon mostly)!

ones that im watching now(on adult swim) : Bleach, naruto, code geass and a few more!

BEST ONE IVE SEEN: FULL METAL ALCHEMIST!!!!! go out and watch it if you havn't. The english voice actors are a thousand times more better than the jap seyiuz! Ed sounds like a lil gurl in the jap version buh in tha dub its surprsingly better!

All other anime's......unfortunately the eng dubs are horrible! YES THAT INCLUDES BLEACH, NARUTO AND ONEPIECE!!

c r a s h i n g d o w n eternity's Avatar
    No. i avoid them at all costs.

They talk like they are reading a book to a 7 year old child ALLL the time, in all animes.

Theres no emotion behind the words, only stupid crazy voices.

especially if the anime is a serious one

I've come here to rant :|

Ok, I pre-ordered P4, comes out in the UK on the 13th, I know it's dubbed and I know that it'll be the one thing that ruins the game for me (just as it did for P3).
    I just watched a cut scene from it on youtube in japanese and all the comments were calling the people who don't like the dubbed version weaboos.

Here's where I stand, Lets say House suddenly starts talking japanese (or any other language for that matter), there would be outrage, House should speak english, if he isn't speaking english then it's just WRONG.
    It's the same for any anime characters to me (be it from a game or anime), Anime characters should speak japanese, if they're speaking english it just loses all the magic, the character loses his/her charm.

When I think "anime girl" I think about a cute exotic voice, not some whiney fucking american VA regardless of whether said VA has any talent.

In short, Fuck you dubbers, Fuck you people who like dubs, I hope your favorite characters from american shows start speaking fucking mongolian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangaz View Post

Ok, I pre-ordered P4, comes out in the UK on the 13th, I know it's dubbed and I know that it'll be the one thing that ruins the game for me (just as it did for P3).
    I just watched a cut scene from it on youtube in japanese and all the comments were calling the people who don't like the dubbed version weaboos.

Here's where I stand, Lets say House suddenly starts talking japanese (or any other language for that matter), there would be outrage, House should speak english, if he isn't speaking english then it's just WRONG.
    It's the same for any anime characters to me (be it from a game or anime), Anime characters should speak japanese, if they're speaking english it just loses all the magic, the character loses his/her charm.

When I think "anime girl" I think about a cute exotic voice, not some whiney fucking american VA regardless of whether said VA has any talent.

In short, Fuck you dubbers, Fuck you people who like dubs, I hope your favorite characters from american shows start speaking fucking mongolian.
    Amen. Another example: Dubbing Sean Connery's 007 films to another language.

The only shows I watch dubbed are Chinese movies which are dubbed to another Chinese language (Mandarin dubbed over Cantonese for example), but that's because some language versions are very rare.

Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangaz View Post

XD Nice rant Sangaz. The only voice I really have a beef with though is Chie's. It makes me sad.

Also I'm gonna add that the reason dub va's aren't as good is that they can't change up their voice! Did you all know the same VA for Kallen from Code Geass also plays Horo from Spice & Wolf? They sound so different that I bet you think I'm lying right now. When Johnny Yong Bosch can only sound like Johnny Yong Bosch you know there's a problem. They could at least make an effort to sound different. -_-

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

I think the reason you didn't know Horo was played by Koshimizu Ami is because she spoke oiran dialect (Ancient japanese basically, using words like "Nushi"), But you're perfectly right, the japanese VA's for the most part have an extensive range of voices under their belts.

The video from P4 I mentioned is this one (Link), Now when I come to hear this dubbed, there's gunna be no charm or sexiness to it and hearing an american voice come out of her mouth is going seem ridiculously out of place :|

It was the same for Valkyria Chronicles, I switched the audio to japanese as soon as I started playing my copy and I fukken love the voice cast (Inoue Marina as Alicia <3), but the other day I saw the beach scene where Alicia is in a bikini and It was the dub version... It was fukken abysmal, all the shyness was taken away from it and a scene that once made me go all gooey for Alicia now repulsed me D:

Edit: also, kuroihikari, you know exactly what I'm saying, It's a matter of what suits each character and it's just plain wrong to change their voice/language.

Veteran Member
    I don't usually start with new animes... so i have only watched DBZ and a lil bit of DB GT (like epi 1-3, and 60-64, yes, i was bored)... in dub...

Rest in Sub... i prefer Sub(Japanease) than Dub <,<, cuz Sub is awesome and Dub is not so awesome...

I've wachted Fullmetal Alchemist in dub instead of sub. The voice of Al calling for his 'nii-san' all the time, annoyed the shit out of me.

That's why I check the dub. It was pretty good to be honest.
    And of course I've seen Dragonball Z in dub.