Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Do you watch the english dubs?

Well, I'm willing to bet most people here don't watch dubbed anime because of how terrible of a job the VA's do and also because they are YEARS behind the Japanese releases.

There is no doubt that the original Japanese dubs are far superior to english dubs as the voices tend to be better and things aren't lost in translation. However, there have been anime's were the english dubs have been really good.

What anime's have you watched dubs for and actually enjoyed it or thought they did a better job than the Japanese version?

For me, I have actually become quite fond of the english VA's for GITS: SAC. FMA also did a great job.

Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar
    I like some of the VAs for Code Geass. They picked good people for Lelouch and Suzaku. Nunnaly's isn't so great. One Piece and Naruto are naturally the most horribly dubbed animes. I wonder if the poeple that picked the majority of the VAs were high when selecting them for those shows. So yes I watch Dubs. But it depends on the show.

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

True. Naruto and One-piece are up there with DBZ.

call me Kaz! =D frenchonion_sunchips's Avatar
    Cowboy Bebop was an amazing dub, especially the guy who did Spike. when i tried watching an episode in japanese it just didnt feel the same...

Ever heard of Elysium? Yeah, I'm not there.
    Actually, I prefer dubs over subs any day of the week! It's really just a matter of preference, since I know (as does most everyone else) that people are going to have differing opinions on a show's localization. I for one appreciate the added perk of being able to tell apart characters based on their voices alone (something I find difficult to do in their original language track, since everyone sounds the same to me, half of the time) and not have to endure what I refer to as the "banshee cry" every time a sickeningly hyper female character talks. Again, difference of opinion - I'm sure there are masochists out there who enjoy enduring those shrieking b*tches more than I do (just kidding, just kidding).

Granted, I WILL watch subs if I find a particular show engaging and would like to see what will happen down the road, or if I find the localization of a show too jarring to enjoy properly (which happens very little in my case).

I recently just started watching Code Geass on [adult swim]; it's a breath of fresh air in an otherwise boring lineup on their action block. Bleach is in filler town, and will continue being in filler town for a while. Death Note has gotten tedious, what with the back and forth game of wits between Near and Light, and I've seen Inu-Yasha enough times to warrant medical testing, to see how many brain cells I lose everytime I hear a shout of "Kagome!" or "Inu-Yasha!."

Other than that, dubs I enjoy (that I have actually watched so far) are: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (Rollerskating giant robots are fun), BLEACH (even though it melts my brain with these fillers), Death Note (even with its cat and mouse structure), Gankutsuo (however that is spelled), Eureka Seven (even though the idea of giant robots sky-surfing makes me giggle every time I think about it), Hellsing, Rurouni Kenshin, Wolf's Rain, Last Exile, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto (yes, Naruto ... Believe it), Gungrave, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Blood +, Azumanga Daioh, Samurai Champloo, .hack// SIGN (never got into the whole G.U. business), Chrono Crusade, Gundam (original, SEED, WING, and that one with the Sailor Fuku Gundam) R.O.D (movie and series), G.I.T.S (movie as well as series, both seasons), as well as a whole plethora of other shows I can't really recall at this time.

Now, with of all that being said, I will admit that there are some dubs that are outright terrible. Namely, anything 4Kids cranks out, with the sole exception of Pokemon and Yami Yugi from Yu-Gi-Oh! As well as whatever might be on Toonami right now (with the exception of Naruto and DBZ ... I miss the old Toonami ...)

Overall: Neutral. I like both sides of the same coin, although I might have a penchant for landing on one side more than the other.

I prefer dubs, but then again, I'm pretty picky.
    You wouldn't believe the amount of persuading it to get me to watch FMA ;p
    Just watched The Big O and I'm moving onto either Gurren Lagann or .//HACK/sign

Thanks to Ravona for sig.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by xl Haseo lx View Post
    I like some of the VAs for Code Geass. They picked good people for Lelouch and Suzaku. Nunnaly's isn't so great.
    Wow...really, I watched some of the Code Geass dub...and quite honestly, I thought my ears would bleed it I kept listening to it, it was the most annoying dub I've seen in recent memory, as if a bunch of teenagers were picked up off the beach and shoved into the studio.

Dubs to enjoy, RahXephon, Excel Saga, Cowboy Bebop, Peacemaker Kurogane, DBZ (some of it), Evangelion, Full Metal Panic, there are others but I can't remember.

Spoiler!

Why don't more people read these mangas?

Sunchips, I gotta agree, Bebop was amazing.

Code Geass does a decent job - I am definitely pleased with that. Deathnote is ok but the Jap. dubbing was flawless. "Sakujo!" I personally thought bleach did a great job until I heard hollow Ichigo's voice. TERRIBLE!!! Gantz's dubs were ridiculous (in a good way). They were hilarious and had some unique voices. I enjoyed them a lot. I'll never forget the line, "Look at those tits!!!" LMAO!!! I still think GITS is the best and my favorite dubbing.

Oh yeah, some of you listed DBZ. I thought the voices and music were absolute trash. There were a few good voices but even when they fit the character, they did a rather mediocre job voice acting. Just look at when Piccolo and nail fuse. The people who did the very first dubs for the saiyan saga years and years ago were awesome.

Ever heard of Elysium? Yeah, I'm not there.
    Quote Originally Posted by snizshizzle View Post
    Oh yeah, some of you listed DBZ. I thought the voices and music were absolute trash. There were a few good voices but even when they fit the character, they did a rather mediocre job voice acting. Just look at when Piccolo and nail fuse. The people who did the very first dubs for the saiyan saga years and years ago were awesome.
    Well, I was eight when I began watching it and, to be perfectly honest, it was to see everyone lay waste to everything and everyone else. Dialogue intermixed between that was superfluous in my mind, since it interrupted the violence and destruction. But I can agree in hindsight that it was a mediocre localization. In hindsight, I realize how much of a mediocre show it was overall, even without its localization.

Wow...really, I watched some of the Code Geass dub...and quite honestly, I thought my ears would bleed it I kept listening to it, it was the most annoying dub I've seen in recent memory, as if a bunch of teenagers were picked up off the beach and shoved into the studio.
    Ouch. Well, maybe if those teens were in the business they might do a good job. After all, the majority of the Geass cast is adolescent. But still, I agree with whoever said that they cast Lelouch and Suzaku well, along with near everyone else on the show so far. Especially Lloyd ... God I love his voice.

That ear bleeding business seems to be contagious around the internet ...

Oh yeah, The Big O is fantastic. I wish my watch could summon a giant robot for collateral damage. RahXephon was pretty neato as well. I've never seen singing giant robots before that, for sure. The only complaint I have is that the script called for a wee bit too many "damn its" from Ayato. Other than that, a fine localization.

I try to avoid watching dubs if I can, subs are usually better. The only English dub I really enjoyed is the FMA one. They did a good job with that. The others kind of sucked :/