Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Definantly, One Piece is a genius better far better than Naruto and most other manga out there. I read it but I'm a bit behind (still at Enies Lobby) so I'm gonna start reading again. One Piece isn't to interesting for me though, its just not dark enough so it could never match up with my true love D. Gray-man. NEVER.

Actually to be fair... the way the story goes is completely different. One piece's storyline is a "rinse and repeat" type, goes into an island, fight some dudes, get out with small attachments (or even close to nothing) since they entered the island whereas Naruto is trying to take on the big picture approach. The difference is that you guys tend to have more opportunities in enjoying the small climaxes one piece has to offer in a "rinse and repeat" approach whereas in a big picture approach, Naruto will have a much more solid story behind everything and yes, even the so called "OMFG WTF INSANE POWERUPS?".

Remember when Luffy gets his gear 2 and 3? No explanation and story was given for it. It just comes out of the blue. Naruto tends to give a more in-depth explanation on powerups (timeskip is an exception).

Anyway, my point is... yes go for your small climaxes and enjoy them but really I don't see the point comparing it to the Naruto author who's actually making an effort making sense out of the story. The fact that high jutsu fights are so rare (which you guys bitch about before) probably forced all these "OMG WTF POWERUPS?" speed which you guys got an uncomfortable time digesting Have your cake and eat it guys... you are the one that ruined Naruto

I'm supposed to be in japan...yet i spend more time in the middle of the pacific
    Quote Originally Posted by luik View Post
    Actually to be fair... the way the story goes is completely different. One piece's storyline is a "rinse and repeat" type, goes into an island, fight some dudes, get out with small attachments (or even close to nothing) since they entered the island whereas Naruto is trying to take on the big picture approach. The difference is that you guys tend to have more opportunities in enjoying the small climaxes one piece has to offer in a "rinse and repeat" approach whereas in a big picture approach, Naruto will have a much more solid story behind everything and yes, even the so called "OMFG WTF INSANE POWERUPS?".

Remember when Luffy gets his gear 2 and 3? No explanation and story was given for it. It just comes out of the blue. Naruto tends to give a more in-depth explanation on powerups (timeskip is an exception).

Anyway, my point is... yes go for your small climaxes and enjoy them but really I don't see the point comparing it to the Naruto author who's actually making an effort making sense out of the story. The fact that high jutsu fights are so rare (which you guys bitch about before) probably forced all these "OMG WTF POWERUPS?" speed which you guys got an uncomfortable time digesting Have your cake and eat it guys... you are the one that ruined Naruto
    fair fair fair...but you are actually wrong on one point my friend. Luffy's gears are actually an idea he had been working on since his fight with crocodile who explains to him in an arrogant monologue that your devil fruit powers have more secret abilities than the original one which he demonstrates by sucking the moisture out of the land and also out of Luffy's arm. Honestly, i can't explain gear 2, that much is true, i have no idea how luffy got that smart, but as for gear 3 that's sort of what you expect someone made out of the same material as a balloon to figure out eventually. But really for one piece, the fights are just a way to give you something else to watch while the plot unfolds, if you hang up on fighting you'll actually miss a lot of the characters.

... really dont mean to flame anyone, this is not directed towards anyone but how can people say that OP is childish? I mean, have any of this people read the tragic stories behind all of the SH crew? There is nothing in Naruto, until recently (Itachi mission), that comes close to the lvl of mental distress this characters have gone through. Even in the anime, and I will never forget this, the scene were Nami is tricked by Aarlong and her village revolts... she stabs herself where Aarlong tatoo is located. How is that childish... The psychology behind this scene is insane..There are many more things like this in OP... Sanji, Luffy, brook etc.
    The simplistic way OP storyline is depicted is sad.. truly.. like sayingBleach is about angels and demons (heaven and hell) or Naruto is about a boy trying to become the strongest ninja, etc. Those are just the dreams or aspirations of certain character, the story itself mutates while we read it... yes the overall dream is the same but the way towards it is where the writers distinguish themselves. Of course, this is where Oda decimates almost all his "competition".
    Hopefully the people that have negative thoughts on OP have at least seen a nonedited, japanese episode before making their opinion cause if not... the opinion is worthless.

I challenge anyone to read OP till the end of Alabasta and not get hook on it! lol Oh thats another thing... Croc's plan was one of the most sinisters and diabolical planas ever made in any medium... it was complete evil... seriously speaking.

Lord of the Boredom zone Pakkun's Avatar
    I love you luimac

Who cares which is better? The fact is that people will watch both regardless. Although, I find One Piece much more interesting.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Currently reading/watching:
    One Piece, Naruto, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kenichi, Hajime No Ippo The Rising, Hunter x Hunter

-_-'
    Quote Originally Posted by luik View Post

Well, it's mostly because naruto's story is stupid that i don't like it.. Kishimoto tries to have a "deep" story like you say, but ends up with many plotholes and incoherences that don't make it solid.

I do admit that one piece is pretty much repetitive but despite that, i think one piece's universe is much richer than naruto's. Ok, OP follows the typical pattern of a basic adventure shônen but it's ok, it doesn't have the ambition of being something else whereas naruto tends to go in many directions with a bad storytelling (for me).

I enjoy reading one piece because it's simple, effective, funny, with an uncommon drawing style, i don't get bored most of the time.. that's what I'm expecting from a shônen. I can't say that much when i read naruto.. (or bleach, but i'm a shônen hater)

Last point on luffy's gears, all of its mecanism were explained in the manga, and how he found out about these, just who cares? I don't want to read "training" chapters, it's boring (i.e. naruto & bleach). He probably accidentally found what his rubber properties can offer to him.

Quote Originally Posted by roguej2 View Post
    .... you'll actually miss a lot of the characters.
    You mean comic relief? I don't know if that equals to character development... and considering one manga is like 100 episodes ahead.... And yes, you get my point. The time and effort in explaining that is quite minimal and if you're comfortable in accepting those vagueness, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by luimac
    Ahh yes.. remembered that part. I just don't get the same feeling you get out of the story. I felt it was a touch bit of unrealisticness in the whole scenerio but I agree the right word to describe that isn't childish. I do get entertained by OP from the little comic reliefs more often than the short story's plot most of the time TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by luimac View Post
    ... really dont mean to flame anyone, this is not directed towards anyone but how can people say that OP is childish? I mean, have any of this people read the tragic stories behind all of the SH crew? There is nothing in Naruto, until recently (Itachi mission), that comes close to the lvl of mental distress this characters have gone through.
    I just re-read the Sanji/Hawk/Don Creek arc (starts here) and Robin's backstory (here). You're absolutely right, nothing trivial about the storyline at all. And maybe it's just me, but I see a lot more in OP which reflects on the world today, especially in recent chapters: censorship of knowledge, eradication of indigenous cultures (Ohara), popular revolt (Alabasta), worship of false gods (Enel), discrimination and prejudice (against fishmen), an oppressive government protecting the rich...

Naruto's great, but One Piece's story seems more emotional and relevant, not less, while being entertaining with lots of humor.

Lord of the Boredom zone Pakkun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hakomasong View Post
    I just re-read the Sanji/Hawk/Don Creek arc (starts here) and Robin's backstory (here). You're absolutely right, nothing trivial about the storyline at all. And maybe it's just me, but I see a lot more in OP which reflects on the world today, especially in recent chapters: censorship of knowledge, eradication of indigenous cultures (Ohara), popular revolt (Alabasta), worship of false gods (Enel), discrimination and prejudice (against fishmen), an oppressive government protecting the rich...

Naruto's great, but One Piece's story seems more emotional and relevant, not less, while being entertaining with lots of humor.
    Im so proud of u right now, you've grown up!!!