Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Retired Administrator

How Foolish Woofcat is..

... in his computer adventures.

Warning, many Linux and BSD installs are much easier than this. This only happens when you want to do odd and funny things

Ok, i decided to start this post just in case someone was wondering where i went. Feel free to leave comments such as "Why do you do this?" and "You are a fool!"

I was on irc chat Tuesday night and was talking to some people in #linux. Some of you may know i am paranoid about security.

My previous operating system was a slim install of Gentoo with hardened kernals, with some heavy hard disk encryption in the event of physical theft.

So while on #linux i was talking to a FreeBSD user. He pointed out that i should use OpenBSD.

So, i set off in my adventure of installing OpenBSD. I download the bootable iso image and go to burn it. Crap. I have not burned a disk yet thus don't have any software. So i set down, and start compiling some burning software. This reqired 8 programs (40~mb) of code to be compiled. So i sat and waited for 30ish minutes to compile all my burning software that i was going to format moments later.

So i get the iso burned, and someone in the #openBSD says "Wait! Don't reboot yet. Make sure to read the FAQ" I shoot back a "Is it not pretty straight forward?" ohh how wrong i was.

I restart my computer with the OpenBSD install disk in and fly through the first few prompts.

What keyboard layout. What language. etc.

I get to the partitioning, now for Windows users, you most often have everything on one partition, C. In my Linux installs i have ran 2 or 3 (/ and /swap or / /home /boot) For OpenBSD they recommend 5, i went with 6.

The disklabel tool starts up and i see to partitions. A and C. This confuses me. I had expected no partitions. so i try to make my partitions and i hit save and quit.

"Invalid paritions please retry install"

Shit!

So try a few more times with no luck, so i fire in my Gentoo install disk and reboot. It loads up and i hop on IRC. I jump into #freeBSD to talk to the person who suggested this adventure. He explains how i should do this.

So it turns out A is / and C is left over space. So i shrink A and create the rest of my partitions, and it ends up like this.

A / 512M
    B /swap 512M
    C unused 12G
    D /tmp 1G
    E /var 1G
    F /usr 5G
    G /home 20G

So it finally accepts my partitions and starts to install. Now OpenBSD like many installs via the internet. So i am trying to get it to install, and it can't find the propper files. I tell it to show a list and it does of 70+ servers. Then in the next prompt it says [server list# IP] so i keep typing in "list23" now its 4 in the morning and it takes me about 10 minutes to notice its trying to connect to http://list23/pub/openBSD/4.1/i386 I scream shit, and put in the propper url and go to sleep. It is now 4:30 am.

Will update with today fun later.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    PGP Key Here

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Nice one Woofcat...hope you get back up soon and seriously quit playing with your *ahem* computer!

And for those of you that don't know, this is Woofcat's computer...cheap ass!

Last edited by Franky; 07-25-2007 at 05:50 PM.

^nice pic

I didnt understand most the computer talk >.> so yea
    Last edited by Muzikage; 07-25-2007 at 06:20 PM.
    Guardian of Rain
    Yamamoto Takeshi

Queen Most
    Likely To Be King
    Why the hell did you bother switching?

Quote Originally Posted by noodleplugerine View Post
    Why the hell did you bother switching?
    Cause Woofcat's a fool. I thought he established that.

Retired Administrator
    Why? Security!

Our efforts emphasize portability, standardization, correctness, proactive security and integrated cryptography.
    PGP Key Here

aha you fool
    Guardian of Rain
    Yamamoto Takeshi

I understood most of what he was saying, I had to play around with linux when I was staying in a home where the only operating system they had was linux.

Oh, I forgot to include the top of his computer:

Retired Administrator
    Really one of my best idea's was going to liquid cooling then filling the box with packing peanuts. Now it is even drop resistant.
    PGP Key Here