Question Personal "tricks of the trade"

Well, I know what it feels like to not have a clue what you're doing with an image manipulation program (Photoshop, GIMP etc.), and I know this is the first place I came lfor help when this feeling set in. Because of this, I decided to (try) and make a thread containing all your little tips and tricks that people may not know about your preferred image manipulation program. These can be anything, and can be as long (full step by step guides) or short (quick tips) as you decided you want them to be.
    This could be a really useful library of knowledge if it gets working, so i hope it does =D
    Ok, i'll post the first tip:

When cleaning, if using a flatscreen monitor, tilt it backwards and you can see where all the smallest colour differences are on your image. This makes it easier to get a perfect image, and takes a considerably smaller amount of time.
    Now, most people used to programs will be used to this, but newbies won't so... yeah, thats also good example =]

Quote Originally Posted by Otogakage View Post
    When cleaning, if using a flatscreen monitor, tilt it backwards and you can see where all the smallest colour differences are on your image. This makes it easier to get a perfect image, and takes a considerably smaller amount of time.
    Now, most people used to programs will be used to this, but newbies won't so... yeah, thats also good example =]
    You might not catch all of the dust.

Do this.

Make a new layer on top of that, clean the dust. Once you're done, hide/delete the "Levels" layer.

Also, working on fullscreen is best (for me) [press F once]... to move around, hold the spacebar and drag with the mouse.

Clean Line Art

I'd like to know how to make clean line art. When making originals, I realize it's important to make clean original line work. However I work pretty messy. There has to be a way to use photoshop to get a good result. Even when I have a realitively clean inital line art I can't seem to get the lines to maintain integraty. (I even scan at 300 dpi) If someone could guide me through to get good clean line art i would be eternaly greatful. This is my biggest problem for making good stuff.

When using photoshop, remember these shortcuts (on windows), it makes working more fluent (i know there are more, but these are the main ones that I use):

Go Backwards(better than undo): ctrl alt Z
    Duplicate: ctrl J
    Apply Image: ctrl alt shift E
    New Layer: ctrl alt shift N
    Select All: ctrl A
    Cut (only after select): ctrl X
    Transform: ctrl T
    Zoom in/out: ctrl +/-

Also you can play around with this, but personally I think its a bit too over the top.

Shift "letter"
    will select a specific tool, for example shift b will give you brushes. but I don't want to be that fast lol

Thanks for the tip Cross. I'm trible at remembering short cuts, but if i get better my speed will increase for sure.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by [Cross] View Post
    Shift "letter"
    will select a specific tool, for example shift b will give you brushes. but I don't want to be that fast lol
    shift+letter change the type of tool
    ex. burn-->dodge, Sharpen---> blur

just pressing the button will take you directly to that tool
    b--->brush, u--->line, o---->burn, r--->blur, etc.