Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

howto keep your pc clean of crap and safe

as the title says..

download "ccleaner" at www.ccleaner.com
    ccleaner stands for "crapcleaner"
    it has easy options on how to keep your pc clean of cookies log files and other crap which isnt neccesary on your computer.. i use it mostly everyday..
    i once hadnt cleaned my pc with ccleaner in a period of 3 weeks, and i thought.. time to clean the crap.. so i ran ccleaner and to my surprise in 3 weeks my computer collected over 1,2gb crap.. it really comes in handy..

it is a recommended program, even the ICT teachers on my school say so..

even if you do not trust it "yet".. scan with whatever anti virus you want..

another good program is hitmanpro for the pc.. it automatically deletes threats on anti spyware.. there are several free anti spyware programs included in it.. and some trials.. http://www.hitmanpro.nl//hitmanpro/
    shame it's dutch so if you want me to translate some text of the site.. just post the piece of text into this thread and i happily will translate it for you.. even if you want me to translate some of the buttons or text inside the program hitman pro.. all you have to do then is post a screenshot of what to be translated to english and i'll edit the screenshot for you into english..

anyways.. hitmanpro runs several kinds of anti spyware programs one after another.. the program automatically clicks out of itself. so you dont have to click when all those kinds of anti spyware pops up..

another good program is xp-antispy http://xp-antispy.org/component/opti...mid,1/lang,de/
    this program can be downloaded in several languages available to choose at the download section.. the site is in german unfortunately.. i cant speak german.. so i guess you have to find someone else to translate.. either just try to translate it with babelfish and hope you can understand something out of the crappy translation machine..

xp-antispy is handy for security matters on your computer, you can de-activate some annoying functions of your windows xp like fault reports..
    you can hide yourself from networks.. it has some little functions but they can come in handy..

avg anti virus/spyware.. this is a well known free anti virus/spyware.. a highly recommended one.. i use it often and keeps my computer clean.. www.grisoft.com

if you're a mozilla firefox user then you try NoScript plugin for firefox which allows you to block nasty content like some scripts, i dont exactly know what kind of scripts but it blocks java script though.. theres an option bar which allows you to allow content and block content..

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722 is the link to the NoScript plugin..

http://noscript.net/ is the official site
    ------------------------------------
    I hope you this was helpfull for all of you here on Mangashare..

Enjoy the programs and a clean computer!
    Last edited by Jinoh; 07-24-2007 at 05:51 PM.

Retired Administrator
    On the other hand, you could install Linux, and not have these problems.

check out www.ubuntu.com
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    PGP Key Here

Quote Originally Posted by Woofcat View Post
    On the other hand, you could install Linux, and not have these problems.

check out www.ubuntu.com
    thanks for the advice

on the other hand.. there are more windows users so lets just consider this for the windows users , unless they want to install linux right now xD

I have my PC clean and safe, and I have no antivirus.

All I do is:
    - Scan the whole PC with CCleaner often (once a week).
    - Scan the whole PC with Online Antivirus Scaning (www.ewido.net).

Since I installed CC and started using that website, I never had another problem with my pc. No need to install Panda or whatever...

PS: I have Windows XP.

Just AnotherGeek
    Any guide for keeping your PC "physically" clean?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by r3born View Post
    Any guide for keeping your PC "physically" clean?
    Cloth....tissue....towel..... duster.....vacuum cleaner.....and other various random cleaning utensils when used incorrectly or too much will damage your computer and hamper your ability to access manga

Spoiler!

Why don't more people read these mangas?

Hmm, I use zonealarm, AVG antivirus, Windows defender

Umm..yeah. Why don't you just stop the crap from the collecting instead of cleaning it?
    In any event, I rarley ever use windows unless I want to play a game, which is rare these days. Ubuntu wins.

More important is how to get off crap from keyboard))))

Dudes, this all you need on a computer:
    Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, and a Registry Cleaner

You don't need a firewall unless you really think you do, but firewalls slow down download speeds a lot even though you use port forwarding. This is my recommendations:

AVG Anti-Virus
    Webroot Spysweeper
    jv16 PowerTools

These 3 have been rated the top from Gizmo's Top Picks. It's the most user-friendly, doens't slow down your computer and doesn't interfere with other programs. The best part is that all of them are FREE, and as good as any software you pay for. Use BitTorrent to find and download all of them or just search them up in google. If you have any questions, then post.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...ilities.htm#27

As for cleaning your computer. I suggest (if you're experienced), open it up and use a mini-vacuum cleaner. Clean your fans. That's all there is to it. I've never had any major problems with my computer, and I can play basically any game out there on the market.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Currently reading/watching:
    One Piece, Naruto, Shingeki no Kyojin, Kenichi, Hajime No Ippo The Rising, Hunter x Hunter