The legendary weapons?

Anyway, didn't see a real discussion about this when i quickly browsed the threads and im curious about them.

So right now we had:

Sword of kusanagi
    Sword of totsuka
    Yata's mirror(what i read on narutowiki: a mirror that's considered one of the three sacred treasures capable of reflecting all attacks. What are the others???)

Still not shown but almost sure will: the jewel or necklace of jewels, Yasakani no magatama(owned by the sage of the six paths)

I was wondering if maybe someone can tell me how they are part of a certain mythology(cause they probably are?) Are they part of a certain series of legendary weapons like there are 9 tailed beasts? I hope someone can tell me more about them.

I hate the fact that we don't get to know anything about them and that they just 'pop' up out of nowhere when it's needed to.

Edit: ok just learned that the Sword of kusanagi and Yata's mirror are part of the Imperial Regalia of Japan as well as the Yasakani no magatama but where does the sword of totsuka come from? Can't find it...
    Last edited by Dragonflame; 03-24-2008 at 11:31 PM.

Your best bet is to keep using wiki to find out information on all this stuff.

yakasani no magatama seems interesting. I think the image of the sage of the six paths shows him clearly wearing a 6 jewel necklace. Would be cool if Pain also possesses it.

A god among Man by ~markanubis on deviantART

The Sword of Totsuka is from the god myths. Izanagi, the creator god, used it against his son who had killed his wife. Also he had to purify himself after returning from yomi, the underworld, as he was washing his face that's when Ameterasu was created from the right eye, Tsukuyomi from the left eye, and Susanoo from his nose. The sword of Kusanagi was found when Susanoo defeated the 8 headed serpent yamata no orochi and found it in it's belly.
    Last edited by Rokudaime Sennin ™; 03-26-2008 at 01:19 AM.

Just read up on Susanoo and Orochi and all that, all those weapons are part of that mythology

Quote Originally Posted by godofwar View Post
    yakasani no magatama seems interesting. I think the image of the sage of the six paths shows him clearly wearing a 6 jewel necklace. Would be cool if Pain also possesses it.

A god among Man by ~markanubis on deviantART

The Sword of Totsuka is from the god myths. Izanagi, the creator god, used it against his son who had killed his wife. After sealing/slaying his own son, he went to wash his face, that's when Ameterasu was created from the right eye, Tsukuyomi from the left eye, and Susanoo from his nose. The sword of Kusanagi was found when Susanoo defeated the 8 headed serpent yamata no orochi and found it in it's belly.
    Woohoo thx a lot! I think i get it now

Initiate
    if i remember it well, they are the 3 Sacred Treasures for japanese.

the sword, the mirror, and the jewel.

The Sword (in this case the Kusanagi is the sacred one) was lost in the battle of Dan no Ura (1185)
    The Mirror (Yata no Kagami) is located in the Ise Shrine and it can be viewed only one time at year.
    The Jewel (Yakasani no Magatama) is located in the Imperial Palace, and it's a necklace from Heian period.

hope to be helpful to you all.

Veteran Member What Is My Name?'s Avatar
    what godofwar said; when izanagi (whose wife was izanami) was washing his face clean of the pollutants of yomi, or hell, the 3 main shinto gods emerged from his left eye, right eye, and nose, respectively.
    As for the the kusanagi, susanoo did some sort of strange ritual n using lots of sake, he made yamata n orochi drunk n killed him, thus finding the kusanagi blade in it's blood-stained stomach.

Japanese mythology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I had gotten a fact wrong, this is a great page that links it all together. And i have to say Kishi has thus far weaved the mythology into his manga brilliantly.

Pein (Yahiko's body) has something around his neck, that could be the necklace, or a tattoo or something that looks like the necklace. I would go and find a good picture of him that shows it but I can't be arsed at the moment