what do you think naruto is based on?

you know when i took mythology in school there was a religion called Shinto.
    here is some shit that has lead me to belive that naruto has a lot of different types of mythology in it.

Amaterasu

Amaterasu is a sun goddess of the Shinto religion. It is believed that Amaterasu sent her grandson Jimmu to Earth 3,000 years ago to be the first ruler of Japan, beginning the divine family of Japanese emperors.

Amaterasu was given rule over the sky by Izangi when he handed to her his holy necklace.

Later, in a competition with her brother Susano, Amaterasu gave birth to three goddesses, who with Susano's offspring, are collectively the ancestors of Jimmu.

During this competition, Amaterasu was unwilling to admit defeat. This caused Susano to furiously wreak havoc throughout the heavens and the Earth. Amaterasu fled into a cave, and her absence caused darkness throughout Japan.

Amaterasu's absence caused much dismay on Earth. As the crops died off and the people suffered, the gods decided they needed to return Amaterasu to her position in the heavens. They sought the help of several dieties, and performed ritualis and sacrifieces outside of Amaterasu's cave. They also hung a mirror from a tree outside of the cave.

Hearing all the commotion, Amaterasu came forth and asked why the gods seemed to be rejoicing. They replied that they had found a new mistress who would be the sun goddess' replacement. Amaterasu came forth in curiosity, and peeked out of her cave. She immediately saw the mirror and was drawn to it. Having never seen her own reflection, Amaterasu thought she was looking at her majestic replacement. As she stepped forward to examine it, she was caught by one god and the cave was blocked by another. Amaterasu's presence illuminated the fields and life returned to Japan's land.

Yamata no Orochi

Yamata no Orochi is a serpent-dragon in Japanese myth. The Orochi has eight heads and eight tails, and its enormous body reaches across eight valleys and eight hills. (You're probably noticing a pattern here.)

When Susano is in exile from the heavens, he finds a couple and their daughter crying by the river. They explain their sadness to him — that every year, the Orochi comes to devour one of their daughters. This year, they must give up their eigth and final daughter, Kusinada.

To save her, Susano proposes marriage to Kusinada. When she accepts, he transforms her into a comb which he can then carry in his hair. Kusinada's parents must brew sake, he explains, and refine it eight times. They must also build an enclosure with eight gates, each of which includes a vat of sake.

When the Orochi arrives, he is lured in towards the sake, and dips each of his heads into one of the vats. The drunken beast is now weakened and disoriented, allowing Susano to quickly slay it.

As Susano cuts the monster into pieces, he uncovers a great sword that had grown inside the Orochi. This blade, the Kusanagi, is presented to Amaterasu as a gift to reconcile their dispute.

dont know about you but starting to sound familiar Orochimaru
    Death is not the biggest fear we have; our biggest fear is taking the risk to be alive -- the risk to be alive and express what we really are.

you're too troublesome Shikamaru-sensei's Avatar
    yeaa theres a load of mythology in naruto. Lots of is is distorted from actual myth. Usually the names are used from stories n such.

Quote Originally Posted by deathswinger View Post
    you know when i took mythology in school there was a religion called Shinto.
    here is some shit that has lead me to belive that naruto has a lot of different types of mythology in it.

Amaterasu

Amaterasu is a sun goddess of the Shinto religion. It is believed that Amaterasu sent her grandson Jimmu to Earth 3,000 years ago to be the first ruler of Japan, beginning the divine family of Japanese emperors.

Amaterasu was given rule over the sky by Izangi when he handed to her his holy necklace.

Later, in a competition with her brother Susano, Amaterasu gave birth to three goddesses, who with Susano's offspring, are collectively the ancestors of Jimmu.

During this competition, Amaterasu was unwilling to admit defeat. This caused Susano to furiously wreak havoc throughout the heavens and the Earth. Amaterasu fled into a cave, and her absence caused darkness throughout Japan.

Amaterasu's absence caused much dismay on Earth. As the crops died off and the people suffered, the gods decided they needed to return Amaterasu to her position in the heavens. They sought the help of several dieties, and performed ritualis and sacrifieces outside of Amaterasu's cave. They also hung a mirror from a tree outside of the cave.

Hearing all the commotion, Amaterasu came forth and asked why the gods seemed to be rejoicing. They replied that they had found a new mistress who would be the sun goddess' replacement. Amaterasu came forth in curiosity, and peeked out of her cave. She immediately saw the mirror and was drawn to it. Having never seen her own reflection, Amaterasu thought she was looking at her majestic replacement. As she stepped forward to examine it, she was caught by one god and the cave was blocked by another. Amaterasu's presence illuminated the fields and life returned to Japan's land.

Yamata no Orochi

Yamata no Orochi is a serpent-dragon in Japanese myth. The Orochi has eight heads and eight tails, and its enormous body reaches across eight valleys and eight hills. (You're probably noticing a pattern here.)

When Susano is in exile from the heavens, he finds a couple and their daughter crying by the river. They explain their sadness to him — that every year, the Orochi comes to devour one of their daughters. This year, they must give up their eigth and final daughter, Kusinada.

To save her, Susano proposes marriage to Kusinada. When she accepts, he transforms her into a comb which he can then carry in his hair. Kusinada's parents must brew sake, he explains, and refine it eight times. They must also build an enclosure with eight gates, each of which includes a vat of sake.

When the Orochi arrives, he is lured in towards the sake, and dips each of his heads into one of the vats. The drunken beast is now weakened and disoriented, allowing Susano to quickly slay it.

As Susano cuts the monster into pieces, he uncovers a great sword that had grown inside the Orochi. This blade, the Kusanagi, is presented to Amaterasu as a gift to reconcile their dispute.

dont know about you but starting to sound familiar Orochimaru
    Orochimaru is based off of the Gallant Jiraiya story. Jiraiya was a great demi-god who was very skilled in frog magic. He fell in love with a princess named Tsunade who was also very skilled in slug magic. His disciple was drawn in by an evil serpent was reborn as Orochimaru. Orochimaru killed Tsunade and then went off against Jiraiya. Jiraiya slayed Orochimaru, but at the cost of his life.

Naruto was supposed to be based off of Shinto lore, not ninjas. In the pilot Naruto was in fact a Nine-tailed fox demon, and his father was killed by the headman of the village which Naruto lived in.

It's not only these aspects of Naruto that make it very "Shintoist." The 2 tailed demon cat is based off of the Nekomata. Itachi meaning weasel, are the bad omens, creating misfortune whenever they appear.
    Last edited by Tenrow; 03-01-2008 at 08:06 AM.

so basically

when itachi uses susasou
    Sasuke maybe hypnotised,
    then be cut into pieces or be devoured by something that is summoned.
    I also think that itachi can only use it once a year.
    Also, sasuke has the sword of kusanagi now, so... itachi will find a sword after he kills sasuke... lol
    also i think itachi will use his nose to do it.

[quote=

Naruto was supposed to be based off of Shinto lore, not ninjas. In the pilot Naruto was in fact a Nine-tailed fox demon, and his father was killed by the headman of the village which Naruto lived in.

It's not only these aspects of Naruto that make it very "Shintoist." The 2 tailed demon cat is based off of the Nekomata. Itachi meaning weasel, are the bad omens, creating misfortune whenever they appear.[/QUOTE]

i know that there is more than just one myth that it is based on i have already found four other myths that would apply to crap that is in naruto
    ------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenrow View Post
    Orochimaru is based off of the Gallant Jiraiya story. Jiraiya was a great demi-god who was very skilled in frog magic. He fell in love with a princess named Tsunade who was also very skilled in slug magic. His disciple was drawn in by an evil serpent was reborn as Orochimaru. Orochimaru killed Tsunade and then went off against Jiraiya. Jiraiya slayed Orochimaru, but at the cost of his life.
    i was wondering where you got this it sounds kind of interesting i would like to read about it if you could give me a link to it
    Last edited by deathswinger; 03-01-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Death is not the biggest fear we have; our biggest fear is taking the risk to be alive -- the risk to be alive and express what we really are.

wwoh! the myths are a little funny and as an American it was the first time i heard of something like this. am I the only one who doesn't no anything about this!
    Anyways i HATE HATE HATE mythology! It's pointless and dramatic.

Kishi puts in these myths to create a story line(that's wat inspirates him).
    I know something about it. I'm creating a manga story too and I wouldn't do so without myths.
    I think this manga's about friendship and the capacity of forgiving

though kishimoto has been twisting those myths like crazy...
    oh.. and moved to the appropriate section as this is no theory thread.

I believe there was a thread containing all folklore tales of the bijuu and the folklore tale of jiraiya the gallant in one of the naruto sections... you could find them with the search function. it helps alot to understand those folklore tales.