Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

An Intensive look at the Uchiha Clan

I feel like there are some qualities about the Uchiha clan that need to be discussed, most notably because of the polarizing reactions from people on this board: either people think the Uchiha's are ALL THAT and a bag of potato chips for no reason save "SHARINGAN IS COOL", and people who hate their undeserved popularity both within and outside of the naruto universe - especially when you consider that there seem to be like 3 actually good uchiha ninjas. As a time saver, I will bold parts to make it accessible to tl;dr readers. I think I can help shed some light on some of these issues, so please read and I hope I can explain, and perhaps even get a discussion going.

For those of you who see the Uchiha currently as pretty average ninjas and not that great, you are, for the most part, entirely correct. I say this because not a single Uchiha has risen to any sort of power since the leaf village first came into existence. Indeed, we've seen the entire clan of OH GREAT UCHIHAS destroyed by basically two guys (Madara and Itachi). Still they seem to have this undeserving reputation from characters within the Naruto universe, claims ranging from, "the sharingan should never be fought alone," to, "the uchiha are the most powerful clan and unstoppable." Indeed, they seem to live up to none of these expectations, and to be killed off so easily proves it. So why then do they have this reputation?

The Uchiha, back when Madara and his brother controlled and led them, were far more powerful than when we are first introduced to them in the manga. You know how strong Itachi is? Yea, imagine an ENTIRE CLAN of Itachis. That's who the Uchiha were. I think that example strives home how strong they were. Itachi hints that many of the clansmen would sacrifice their friends and family for the power of the Mangekyo sharingan, the sheer amount of deaths seems to be staggering. Yet when we are first introduced to the Uchiha in Konoha, just before they are killed off, no one seems to even think about obtaining the power of the Mangekyo. In fact they are willing to punish Itachi for killing his best friend, something that in the past was commonplace to gain power. It seems that after a few generations living in Konoha, the Uchiha have become complacent and lost their thirst for power - as Itachi would put it, lacking hatred.

Because the Uchiha have fallen so far and lost their will to gain power, it is not unthinkable that for this reason alone Madara killed them off. To see his clan become such a shadow of its former self, to be such a disgrace, that they had to die in Madara's mind. Just like the people on this forum who are angry with the Uchiha for being so overhyped, so was Madara - and so he punished them ruthlessly. We need only look at the example of Sauske. In Konoha, he grew to be loyal to his friends and was relatively at peace with his surroundings. Had it not been for the hatred of Itachi, he probably would have stayed there and been content. However, because of his thirst for vengence, look at the power he has obtained to combat Itachi. His growth in power over the timeskip is STAGGERING, something an Uchiha in Konoha would never have achieved. Back when Madara controlled the Uchiha, they were in a state of continuous war so they could grow strong, there was no complacency.

To sum it up: The Uchiha were once great and lived up to their title of being amazing, but over time since Konoha was founded, they fell so far that Madara crushed them. There are so many strong ninja, and the Uchiha were not even close to on par, we wonder why we could even consider the Uchiha so great. I've put forth my thoughts, and I think they're pretty good.

Your thoughts?

i keep it simple
    their eys are great, but they are cocky. thats all i can say. sasuke survived till now is cuz of his eyes so is his bro, itachi

Concise and to the point. Can't argue with of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    If Pow wrote the manga it would be accurate as fuck lol. I stand behind Pow(while humping his leg) on this one.
    Troll Tagged by Uzumaki_Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Advocat View Post
    I feel like there are some qualities about the Uchiha clan that need to be discussed, most notably because of the polarizing reactions from people on this board: either people think the Uchiha's are ALL THAT and a bag of potato chips for no reason save "SHARINGAN IS COOL", and people who hate their undeserved popularity both within and outside of the naruto universe - especially when you consider that there seem to be like 3 actually good uchiha ninjas. As a time saver, I will bold parts to make it accessible to tl;dr readers. I think I can help shed some light on some of these issues, so please read and I hope I can explain, and perhaps even get a discussion going.

For those of you who see the Uchiha currently as pretty average ninjas and not that great, you are, for the most part, entirely correct. I say this because not a single Uchiha has risen to any sort of power since the leaf village first came into existence. Indeed, we've seen the entire clan of OH GREAT UCHIHAS destroyed by basically two guys (Madara and Itachi). Still they seem to have this undeserving reputation from characters within the Naruto universe, claims ranging from, "the sharingan should never be fought alone," to, "the uchiha are the most powerful clan and unstoppable." Indeed, they seem to live up to none of these expectations, and to be killed off so easily proves it. So why then do they have this reputation?

The Uchiha, back when Madara and his brother controlled and led them, were far more powerful than when we are first introduced to them in the manga. You know how strong Itachi is? Yea, imagine an ENTIRE CLAN of Itachis. That's who the Uchiha were. I think that example strives home how strong they were. Itachi hints that many of the clansmen would sacrifice their friends and family for the power of the Mangekyo sharingan, the sheer amount of deaths seems to be staggering. Yet when we are first introduced to the Uchiha in Konoha, just before they are killed off, no one seems to even think about obtaining the power of the Mangekyo. In fact they are willing to punish Itachi for killing his best friend, something that in the past was commonplace to gain power. It seems that after a few generations living in Konoha, the Uchiha have become complacent and lost their thirst for power - as Itachi would put it, lacking hatred.

Because the Uchiha have fallen so far and lost their will to gain power, it is not unthinkable that for this reason alone Madara killed them off. To see his clan become such a shadow of its former self, to be such a disgrace, that they had to die in Madara's mind. Just like the people on this forum who are angry with the Uchiha for being so overhyped, so was Madara - and so he punished them ruthlessly. We need only look at the example of Sauske. In Konoha, he grew to be loyal to his friends and was relatively at peace with his surroundings. Had it not been for the hatred of Itachi, he probably would have stayed there and been content. However, because of his thirst for vengence, look at the power he has obtained to combat Itachi. His growth in power over the timeskip is STAGGERING, something an Uchiha in Konoha would never have achieved. Back when Madara controlled the Uchiha, they were in a state of continuous war so they could grow strong, there was no complacency.

To sum it up: The Uchiha were once great and lived up to their title of being amazing, but over time since Konoha was founded, they fell so far that Madara crushed them. There are so many strong ninja, and the Uchiha were not even close to on par, we wonder why we could even consider the Uchiha so great. I've put forth my thoughts, and I think they're pretty good.

Your thoughts?
    I'll keep it even simpler. Individually they pale in comparison to Ninjas such as yellow flash. Collectively the entire clan was defeated by Madara and Itachi. Meaning a ninja of the 1st calibre, or Sarutobi could single handedly lay the smack down. They are great Shinobi, in the sense that they collectively have a sharingan and would win in a fight against most clans because the law of averages suit them. Against the Sarutobi clan, or Yondaime's clan(if he still has one) or the first Hokage's clan, they would lose for the simple fact that either one of these Shinobi (such as Third) could individually take down the Uchiha's, how much more with the backing of their entire clan.

So Uchiha's have 3 good ninja's who probably pale in comparison to the 1st Hokage, the Third hokage, and the Fourth e.c.t.

Collectively they are an above average clan, not yellow flash brilliant, nor God of Shinobi Sarutobi brilliant. But above average. over hyped and above average. Nothing more, nothing less.

Lost in fathomed infinity Freakshow's Avatar
    The uchiaha strength lies in the law of averages. The only things that make`s them seem supirior, is becouse of there eyes, just like Hyuga clan. So they didn`t chose to have the sharingan wich means most part of there eye power is a "gift" nothing more.
    given one the ability to read Genjutsu, Taijutsu and Ninjutsu and then defeat it.
    I find that very unfair and sort of cheting. It`s like some one just gives you something in your hand and tells you "go ahead and defeat them".
    Last edited by Freakshow; 02-18-2008 at 12:57 AM.

haha nice post advocat =P i think the uchihas are overhyped and overrated. dont get me wrong i love sasuke n itachi, but seriously theyr just way too cocky with their eyes.

Give them credit for being Konoha's police force, for that fact alone they must have been better than average.

At the time of their demise, the Uchiha had learned to forsake the worst parts of their heritage, ie Fratricide for power. This was not a weakness because no clan can long survive if they killed and cannibalized each other.

Unlike Itachi and Madara, the Uchiha in Konoha had learned to live a normal existence with honor.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

Kakashi and Itachi made the Sharingan cool lol.

Quote Originally Posted by afro thunda View Post
    Kakashi and Itachi made the Sharingan cool lol.

LOL

They are great Shinobi, in the sense that they collectively have a sharingan and would win in a fight against most clans because the law of averages suit them. Against the Sarutobi clan, or Yondaime's clan(if he still has one) or the first Hokage's clan, they would lose for the simple fact that either one of these Shinobi (such as Third) could individually take down the Uchiha's, how much more with the backing of their entire clan.
    The uchiaha strength lies in the law of averages. The only things that make`s them seem supitior, is becouse of there eyes, just like Hyuga clan.
    I keep seeing this "law of averages" arguement appear, and I'm not entirely sure on how people can use it.

Firstly, I fail to see how the Uchiha could have be crushed in their prime by the Hokage or so alone, or any evidence that it was possible. I would agree that in their current state, after giving up the source of their power and living happy complacent lives and becoming weaker, that they would easily be destroyed by a single Hokage. After all, Madara basically did just that. But when the Uchiha clan was in a state of war with many other clans, before they met the Seju and created a village, they could not be done away with so easily. Hell, if that was the case, why didn't the 1st wipe them out? Or any other really strong ninja? Probably because they couldn't, the Uchiha were really at one point just that strong.

Secondly, if the Uchiha's truly are just an above average clan, why do they seem to have such a feared reputation across the entire Naruto universe? Early on, the sheer fact that Sauske was an Uchiha was a REALLY BIG DEAL to a lot of people in the manga. Even in earlier chapters, the Uchiha were well known for being outstanding and the pride of the Leaf village. Lets look at the Chunnin exam, when the tournament begins, people want to see the genuis Uchiha and no one else, considering how powerful the supposedly are.

I don't see the Hyuuga having this reputation. Yet the difference is the same, an eye technique. Still the Uchiha and the Sharingan take many people aback, and instill a sense of fear and awe into their opponents. Yet techincally, all the sharingan does is give a ninja a slight upper hand. So what gives? I'll repeat my point, th Uchiha were once a really crazy powerful clan, and now they are not. They gradually declined in terms of power once they embraced peace. Before they were killed off, they prided themselves on being slightly better than all the other clans in Leaf, and never lived up to their hype. They really were once just as powerful as some characters indicate in the manga, else they would not have such a fearful reputation preceeding them.

The more the past of the Naruto universe is revealed, the more we can see just how powerful other clans were. To be a clan that survived, was undefeated, and feared as having a leader who was praised as the strongest in the world - that's not "above average."

At the time of their demise, the Uchiha had learned to forsake the worst parts of their heritage, ie Fratricide for power. This was not a weakness because no clan can long survive if they killed and cannibalized each other.

Unlike Itachi and Madara, the Uchiha in Konoha had learned to live a normal existence with honor.
    When you live in "only the strongest survive" mentality, you tend to have a really fearsome group. If you recognize that half the clan is going to kill the other half, its really easy to avoid by simply having more children. A clan can survive with that mentality. Of course, the question remains "do you really have to kill your best friend to get the Mangekyo?" Especially considering Madara and his brother were best friends yet they both obtained it, Kakashi got his without killing anyone, and only Itachi has recieved his through this method. For all we know Madara fooled the hell out of Itachi. But that's another discussion.

I can't see how the Uchiha could have not weakened over the years under Konoha. Sure they lived in peace and had much better lives, but the cost was most definitly raw power since they no longer strived for raw power over everything else. Whether or not that is right or wrong is fair to discuss, but I think factually they lost a lot of their strength.