Goten&Trunks Dragon Ball GT

I know GT is not canon .. but still it was written by professional writers who wanted to keep earning a pay check lol.. My question is.

Why did Trunks/Goten never fuse? In DBZ Trunks/Goten who could only go SSJ 1 (still a huge feat for them, I think Goten was 7 and Trunks was 9 ) fused and had the power to go SSJ 3 - in terms of power SSJ3 isn't even comparable to SSJ1.

Now in GT they SHOULD be stronger then what they are - at the end of DBZ after 10 YEARS of training Goku wanted Goten to fight Majin Bu in the tournament so at age 17 he was strong as one of the strongest villains ever in DB history. Trunks also had been training with Vegeta in the gravity chamber if I remember correctly.

But say they got weak and can only go to SSJ 2 in GT (which makes no sense, if Goten could match with Bu he would need to be stronger then SSJ 2) why couldn't they fuse and be effective?
    Click to see what RPG personality you are.
    (It's funny because I ALWAYS use a bow if its available in a game lol)

LOL, how much time have flown since I saw GT... anyway, no, IIRC in one of the 'space missions' - in search for the universe-whatever dragon balls, Trunks admits that he is in no shape and that he is weaker than what he was at end of Z/in buu saga.

They are out of sync so they can't fuse (you need to match your partners power level... etc.) ? Their fusion wouldn't make much a difference in those fights on the earth... well originally Goten was supposedly go with Trunks and Goku, but he didn't went with them and whey they came back, their power level, even after fusion wouldn't be enough to even make a dent in the enemy.

The Fat Buu, got weaker after he separated from the thin - real buu and thus it seems that he could be bested by a SSJ.

Goku had to go SSJ 3 to fight the fat bu (so by the tournament at the end of DBZ Goten must had at *least* been a strong SSJ 2) - while he only had to go SSJ 2 to beat Majin Vegeta.

Also like, I vaguely remember but I thought a fusion could still work if 1 person brought their power down, it's been so long since I watched DBZ but I thought Trunks had to bring his power down a little to fuse with Goten.

I only ask the question because my little brother is watched GT now they are showing it on Cartoon Networks 2nd channel.
    Click to see what RPG personality you are.
    (It's funny because I ALWAYS use a bow if its available in a game lol)