Senjogahara Fascination ReshenKusaga's Avatar

D.Gray-man First try at cleaning + typesetting

Not very good, I know i overdid the blacks on the akuma, and I think I sorta overleveled.

And I know, I know, crappy font, but since my photoshop is currently a trial, I haven't bothered to grab some nice anime/manga fonts...

tips? suggestions? constructive criticism?

the orig page was in pretty good shape, but now it doesn't look much better >_<

in case you were wondering, it was the test page from the "Blinktopia is Recruiting" topic

Spoiler!
    Last edited by ReshenKusaga; 02-04-2008 at 03:03 AM.

Center the fonts, is all I can say.

alrite,

any fonts you would recommend?

I think the MS standard is Animeace

JOIN THE GINTAMA FAN CLUB.. "Just do it" *click here*

D.Gray-man FC Members List

My Anime List

how do i add that font to my photoshop fonts?

go to start>control panel>fonts Copy the font file into Fonts. Oh and we don't use anime ace anymore.. but anime ace is used by alot of scanners.

ah...

what fonts do you guys use?

added in an edited version with anime ace + centered fonts

any other comments?
    Last edited by ReshenKusaga; 02-04-2008 at 03:03 AM.

Cleaning is very good, uniform grays and solid blacks. Our pre-cleans tend to be pretty damn good, but some RAWs make things trickier, if you can do one page you can do them all though, since the things that need to be done will always be the same.

Generally when type-setting, you want to go for a diamond shape in terms of how the text is presented, this is probably the hardest thing to get down, but it really helps in terms of overall presentation because of the way the speech bubbles are shaped (Taller and thinner than those in Western comics). This isn't something that's particularly easy to get down, but basically you're generally looking for less text on the top and bottom lines with more in the middle. Here's an example:

You're actually pretty much doing that at present, but I just felt I should mention it. The last bubble is a good example of a situation where you could use the Character Window (Window -> Character), for the line "Better get back" I would highlight that line and then open the character window and if you look where it shows a T with an arrow pointing horizontally, you can change the width without altering the font size, in this example, something like 85% or 90% would give the line more room in the bubble without making it look too small compared to the other lines. The only other thing I would say is that you should maybe use the Pen tool to totally whiten the speech bubbles before you Typeset.

P.S. Our fonts are top secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    Cleaning is very good, uniform grays and solid blacks. Our pre-cleans tend to be pretty damn good, but some RAWs make things trickier, if you can do one page you can do them all though, since the things that need to be done will always be the same.

Generally when type-setting, you want to go for a diamond shape in terms of how the text is presented, this is probably the hardest thing to get down, but it really helps in terms of overall presentation because of the way the speech bubbles are shaped (Taller and thinner than those in Western comics). This isn't something that's particularly easy to get down, but basically you're generally looking for less text on the top and bottom lines with more in the middle. Here's an example:

You're actually pretty much doing that at present, but I just felt I should mention it. The last bubble is a good example of a situation where you could use the Character Window (Window -> Character), for the line "Better get back" I would highlight that line and then open the character window and if you look where it shows a T with an arrow pointing horizontally, you can change the width without altering the font size, in this example, something like 85% or 90% would give the line more room in the bubble without making it look too small compared to the other lines. The only other thing I would say is that you should maybe use the Pen tool to totally whiten the speech bubbles before you Typeset.

P.S. Our fonts are top secret.
    thanks for the tips

not even a littttttle clue D: XD