View Poll Results: Is Sasuke too simple a Character?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way man!!! He is really deep Character, How dare you insult Sasuke!

19 36.54%
  • He is about as complex as a wet paper bag

33 63.46%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Is Sasuke too simple a Character?

Simple Question

Is Sasuke too simple a Character?

I mean the whole revenge for the death of my family/clan and ill go to any length to do it angle is all well and fine but beyond that he is a typical, lust for power/revenge, don't really show anymore emotion then some bitter old guy. Basically, a single minded person with only one real goal and nothing else.

Simple Sasuke Bashing? Really true?

Agree? Disagree?

Although he's not the main character (well, he's one of them), he has the typical revenge for killing someone story. It's found in Rocky vs Draco for killing Apollo... Ryu vs Akuma for killing his sensei, Braveheart (William Wallace vs King of England) for killing his wife... Gladiator (Maximus vs Cesar) for killing his family... Frank Deux vs ChunLi in bloodsport for killing his friend in the Kumite... and the countless martial arts movies for "killing my master" or "father" or etc.

There's nothing to his character's persona. Yeah, he want's to get strong... but only to get revenge. He's a cool looking and powerful character who has a big part in the main storyline... but there isn't much to his individual persona.
    Last edited by superNES; 01-30-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: posted when i wasnt done with the post.

Er... Well really, Naruto is an even simpler character, and he doesn't even properly conform to his character concept - unlike Sasuke.

Naruto, as the story seemed to be inferring to me for the first hundred or so chapters, was supposed to be a talentless bum who through effort and determination rises to become Hokage, being incredibly annoying every step of the way, a kind of Rock Lee x5. Instead we actually find out he's not only talented, but theoretically the most powerful being in the whole Naruto world = huh? The character has lost his sole reason for existence in my eyes by this point, he's not particularly sympathetic, he's annoying, and cosmically powerful guys are supposed to at least make up for this by being cool, which he isn't - certainly not when compared to those Uchihas over there.

Naruto wrecks one of the key themes of the Manga, therefore, simplistic as he is, Sasuke is the only original character with any room for progression as I believe they were originally intended.

In total fairness, this is also a Shounen, how complicated do the characters need to be? As long as they stick to what they're supposed to be and have decent interactions that's fine, Sasuke does, Naruto doesn't, so Sasuke is a success as a character in my eyes.

He's about as complex as a wet paper bag (Which could be quite complex btw if it had started rotting and what not, but anyhow... ) but I don't particularly mind that.

I think Naruto has a better character than Sasuke. Although he's an annoying lil bum who sucks at everything possible, the reason that makes him unique is the fact that he has this cosmic power... and he still sucks.

It's better than being all power and know how to use it. The fact that he has this obstacle of trying to control the power makes him more unique than let's say... Gaara who started off same as Naruto but knew how to use his power, while Naruto didn't. Although Gaara is an awesome character with incredible powers, Naruto has an even deeper meaning for he can still beat him, when he's not using the full potential of the power he has.

I think Sasuke went through something really horrible, all behind the pretty clear reasons his brother had. He was put through a lot of stuff in the dark, he never knew, until now, why Itachi did what he did. He sold his soul and betrayed his friends. He had to say goodbye to his childhood and feelings to feed his anger, only to find out it was to feed someone's ambition. I think Sasuke was lame before, but he developed into a very human, very cool character. Not my favorite, though.
    Naruto's development is getting interesting. Even Ero-sennin's death is unclear.

Quote Originally Posted by jamr79 View Post
    Even Ero-sennin's death is unclear.

Jiraiya is dead bro...

He's not a very deep character, but not too many in Naruto are. My answer may be a bit biased though, since I don't particularly like Sasuke.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Jiraiya's cetainty of death belongs to another thread, but I can tell you we have yet to see what Pein's relation is with him. Very few good characters remain dead in comics also...

Quote Originally Posted by jamr79 View Post
    Jiraiya's cetainty of death belongs to another thread, but I can tell you we have yet to see what Pein's relation is with him. Very few good characters remain dead in comics also...
    if we compare sasuke to the other characters so far yes he is more complex than most of them so even though he is not my favorite character i will admit this. all naruto is doing righ now is running around screeming sasuke come back or give him back that does not sound complex to me wich is a shame because i really like this character and want to see him grow up since the time skip but that did not happen.

something else... jiraiya is dead for good, he wont come back kishimoto said so in his interview because naruto has to grow up (his words) i think we should listen to the man that writes the manga and take his word for it go to this thread and find out:
    Naruto jump festa 2008 report.

Disagree, its going to be interesting to see what happens after his revenge is fulfilled.