Hybrid View

Dragon Guard Boss

HQ Cleaning Tutorial

Hi, firstly, I did not make this, my scanlation group's cleaner did. All credit should go to Aterin. I just thought I'd post it so people knew this skill.
    Also, I'm going to post in steps. Please comment on each step, as I'll be adding them one after the other but not necessarily all at once, ok?
    Now let us go on a Journey through time and space,
    To the World of the Mighty Boosh....

HQ Cleaning Guide
    First Released: Jan. 15th, 2008
    Last Updated: Jan. 15th, 2008
    Revision Version: 1

Hey there, I'm Banana_Samurai but this is Aterin's guide, you may know me as the guy who runs Dragon Guard- the group that releases HQ Rave Master.

STEP 1

Open your RAW page, if it's in jpg or any other file format form convert it to .png. Note: Be sure you do your cleaning with a .png file.

Next if the page isn't straight go to the Image tab, then down to Rotate Canvas and click on "Abitrary". Depending on which way the page needs to rotate you either use cw or ccw. NOTE: It's important that you do this step now because if you do it in later steps it will mess up the quality of the page.

Go to the image tab, then click on "Image Size". A box like the one in the picture should come up.

Change the resolution from 300 or whatever it may be to 150; be sure to change the resolution before changing anything else in that box. Next change the width in "Pixel Dimensions" to 754 pixels. Click okay and exit the box. Now go back to the Image tab; this time go to Canvas Size. Change just the Height to 1150 pixels. Make sure also that it's in pixels and not in inches.
    Come with us now on a Journey Through Time and Space...
    To the word of the Mighty Boosh!!

Latest Scanlations by Dragon Guard Scanlations:

+++++
    [I]Monster Hunter Orage Chapter 2I]
    Rave Master Chapter 211
    Monster Soul Chapter 2
    Pokemon Special Chapter 77

Possible Cleaner for hire Artcore's Avatar
    Texas, making other states jealous since 1845
    Is this the full tutorial? It seems like its been cut off...

SotW Record:
    1st: 1 - 2nd: 1 - 3rd: 2
    Entries: 5

Dude AH-MAH-GAWD .. I learned so much!

THANK YOU FOR THIS AWESOME TUTORIALZ O_O

Dragon Guard Boss
    Step 2:

Zoom in onto a white section of the image, you zoom in by pressing CTRL and the + button. I usually zoom to around 500%. Now this is where the main cleaning begins, we want to get rid of the gray "dust" spots that are seen on the white's of the manga. The quickest way to do this is to open up the Levels box by pressing CTRL L. Move the white marker on the top grid to the left until you cannot see any of the dust anymore. Also it's a good idea to go around the rest of the image and make sure most all the dust spots are gone there as well, if not just move the marker just a bit more over. Be careful not to overdo it, usually the input levels on all my scans do not go below 238.

Step 3:
    Now to the blacks. As in step two, find an area of black spots and zoom in there. Now move the marker gray marker over to the right until the black area is solid black. NOTE: When leveling blacks, be sure that you don't overlevel. I'll give you an example.
    How it should look aka THE RIGHT WAY.

How it shouldn't look aka DON'T MAKE IT LOOK LIKE THIS!

A lot of times even after doing that there are still some black lines that need to be redrawn over, if that's the case then simply click the "Line Tool" and set it to 1 px weight and make sure the ANTI-ALIASED BOX IS CHECKED!

Step 4:

This will probably be the most aggravating part of cleaning any manga.....the grays. While there are a lot of methods to do grays, this one to me is the easiest. First use CCCCCC gray color, now click the Magic Wand tool and click the gray area. Now click on Paint Bucket (with the CCCCCC color selected) and fill in the area. Also while you still have that area selected with the Magic Wand go to the Filter Tab, then to "Add Noise". Use 4% Amount with Uniform Distribution. Also, most likely you will have to redraw the black lines on the grays as well, because most times when you use the Paint Bucket some of the color spills over on the lines. If you can make grays look good then your cleaning skills are top notch...

Step 5:

Borders....they seem hard to do, but in reality they are not. First off use the Line Tool set at 3 px weight and the ANTI-ALIASED BOX UNCHECKED and draw a straight line down the borders that are straight. To draw a straight line simple hold down the Shift button and it will keep the line straight. Now that you have a clean line drawn select the Rectangle Marquee and highlight the area outside your new border. Then (make sure your background is set to White) push the Backspace or Delete button and the old border will vanish leaving you with the clean one. For borders that aren't straight, use the 3 px Line Tool, but this time make sure the ANTI-ALIASED BOX IS CHECKED and simple retrace the border. Also, if a text bubble or SFX extends outside the border, simply stop at the edge of the text bubble or SFX, then start the line again at the bottom of it. See, borders aren't that hard are they? lol

Before and After Pages

Here is a typical RAW page that you would be cleaning for DG, and beneath it is the same image that has been cleaned with the method above.

Before Cleaning

After Cleaning

Well that about does it for this tutorial.

THATS THE FULL VERSION, NO NEED FOR SARCASM, I'M SIMPLY LAZY AND, aw screw it, I'm too lazy to continue

+++++
    Rave Master Chapter 211
    Monster Soul Chapter 2

Thanks for the informative tut Banana. Ignore fxu, he's just bitter because I stole his sandwich...
    "Hey thanks for emailing me. Why you dropping Fairy Tail again?????? It is one of the most awesome manga so please please keep doing it because I do now want to add other scans to my collection since it is not so good. If you need help I can help out with anything except I don't know how to do the manga typing and that kind of stuff. By the way, are you thinking about Code Breaker? If so, I can also maybe help with that too. Also, next time if you will drop the series don't email me. It is depressing news and I will rather just not know this time. Thank you."

So how long would it take for you to go through a full HQ scan of a chapter of One Piece? Hypothetically?
    Last edited by Agung; 01-20-2008 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Because I worded the sentence wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Agung View Post
    So how long would it take for you to go through a full HQ scan of a chapter of One Piece? Hypothetically?
    A while I suspect, One Piece is the most demented thing to clean I've ever seen.

Dragon Guard Boss
    Err, I dont know ^^;;

@thatbabo: I know the pain of having a sandwhich stolen, the guy didnt live to apreciate the wholemeal goodness...

After reading that, would anyone like to join Dragon Guard Scanlations and clean Rave Master scans, most of our raw scans are better quality than that so the cleaning may not even take as long.

+++++
    Rave Master Chapter 211
    Monster Soul Chapter 2

Possible Cleaner for hire Artcore's Avatar
    Texas, making other states jealous since 1845
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana_Samurai View Post
    After reading that, would anyone like to join Dragon Guard Scanlations and clean Rave Master scans, most of our raw scans are better quality than that so the cleaning may not even take as long.
    If it was for Air Gear, FMA, or Psyren Id volunteer. But Rave master isnt one that I really have any interest in, and its not like I have the spare time to throw around.
    sorry.

Good tut though, thanks.

SotW Record:
    1st: 1 - 2nd: 1 - 3rd: 2
    Entries: 5

Dragon Guard Boss
    Thats ok, thanks for looking ^^

+++++
    Rave Master Chapter 211
    Monster Soul Chapter 2