Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kamiyama85 View Post
    Claymore was released on monthly shonen jump before jump square, and death note comes out in weekly shonen jump, so not really. even though it seems claymore and deathnote wouldnt be aimed at the same audiences as naruto and one piece, this is japan we're talking about
    monthly shonen jump is jump square.. the name changed to jump square

So, is are they seinen or shonen. You made the list, your call.

Whatever you say, I still think they're seinen.

if your calling them shonen or seinen based on content then you cant really split them into 2 groups and label them. the mangas in question and so many that arent, have much different degrees of violence, nudity whatever, you cant slap a m15+ sticker on it just cause you think it goes in the seinen bin. most of these themes are common place in japan.

and to ginova, yeah i remember the transition, it was a scary couple of weeks wondering what would happen to monthly

actually, I don't. They do actually do that though. There are varying degrees on manga. The ones I see most are teen (13+) older teen(16+) and adult only (18+). You could or couldn't base shonen vs. seinen on it. On one hand shonen and seinen are terms fans use, while the ratings are industry. So they are separate things.

I just think seinen is more based on a mature level. Presenting readers with moral issues, or complex mind games that take a more mature mind to process.

Manga is first and foremost, works of art. They are windows into the mangaka's heart, touching on themes and scenarios that the artist have experienced themselves. Yes, as fans we can break them up up into groups based on content, but i believe to do so is to take it away from being the very thing that the mangaka intended it to be in the first place.

Manga should be viewed as individual entities. Having contrast amoung manga is good but when we start grouping and putting labels on them (or anything) all sorts of pre-determined thoughts begin sticking to them.

The social consciousness of Japan is at least 10 year or so ahead of the western world. It is inherent to us that some themes and topics should not be presented to younger or less mature people, but no one truely knows what anyone, young or old, is going through. If one person is truely inspired and helped by an artist's work, the artist will be happy and satisfied with what they have done.

I am sorry but grouping them into these terms turns them into the consumable products that we westerners oh so love

mx0 just got added in the list :3 (it has also been uploaded to the online reader on Mangashare)

* Thread updated with all thew new discussion threads.

Idk if this is the right place to ask but o well
    does anyone know where I can download or read the monster soul chapters because I started reading and I cant stop lol

i heil Binktopia!. *bows* vidzey's Avatar
    maybe blazer drive is a good addition to the list.

-----

thank god i'm an atheist!

hey Rosario+Vampire is shounen right, how come it aint in the list?
    sig by:ImotoChan