Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: King Eneru

  1. #1

    King Eneru

    Anyone else feeling the nerdrage at the latest episode of One Piece? Changing Enel from a living god into a king pretty much ruins every epic moment in this arc. Blasphemy becomes treason, there's no initial explanation for why he's omniscient, Zoro's no longer an atheist and his disdain for royalty makes little sense considering on of their nakama is a princess, the significance of the Norland flashback story is trivialized, and at the end when everyone prays for the island to be saved is going to zero sense.

    Bah.

  2. #2
    Scanlator [Cross]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,962
    If they mentioned him as a god, one piece would have gotten canceled due to religious groups going mad. So better this than the alternative, there is a reason that they changed it, and I think considering that there is no other option besides king (unless you can find one, I'm sure there are others I'm just too lazy to think of one) then we shouldn't blame the dubbing, but blame the sensitive society that we live in, where people get offended over every little thing.

  3. #3
    The Patriot Kendoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    1,327
    If they mentioned him as a god, one piece would have gotten canceled due to religious groups going mad. So better this than the alternative, there is a reason that they changed it, and I think considering that there is no other option besides king (unless you can find one, I'm sure there are others I'm just too lazy to think of one) then we shouldn't blame the dubbing, but blame the sensitive society that we live in, where people get offended over every little thing.
    What? Enel was refered to as a God, and there's plenty of other anime/manga that have "Gods" in them.

  4. #4
    The Irish Cougar MountainLionLink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mission, KS
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossXD View Post
    we shouldn't blame the dubbing, but blame the sensitive society that we live in, where people get offended over every little thing.
    Yeah, its because of stupid religious groups like Christains who get offended when something else is called a god, but then all the do is bitch. Look at the Muslims, don't just bitch, take action you fools! Make your point know even more!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsurmon View Post
    Anyone else feeling the nerdrage at the latest episode of One Piece? Changing Enel from a living god into a king pretty much ruins every epic moment in this arc. Blasphemy becomes treason, there's no initial explanation for why he's omniscient, Zoro's no longer an atheist and his disdain for royalty makes little sense considering on of their nakama is a princess, the significance of the Norland flashback story is trivialized, and at the end when everyone prays for the island to be saved is going to zero sense.

    Bah.
    And? 4 Kids was going to go the same route. We all know that from here on out that the series is going to suck here in America, since what will happen with Water 7/Enies Lobby? The Straw Hats can not go up against the government, since that will be un-American to some redneck idiots.
    HALO
    It's just the Metroid series remade for the Xbox crowd.
    However Samus Aran is now some unknown low ranking military personal.
    Also the space pirates worship some giant doomsday hula hoop machine.

    Currently Reading
    Karakuri Circus, Mx0, Red River, Rosario+Vampire, One Piece

    Nintendo Wii Friend's number
    3432.6005.8978.2772

  5. #5
    Scanlator [Cross]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendoki View Post
    What? Enel was refered to as a God, and there's plenty of other anime/manga that have "Gods" in them.
    -_- we are talking about the dub in America. Enel is referred to as a king here in the Americas. Other shows get away with God, because they are on late times, so it does not count. i.e. on Adult Swim. Otherwise, any anime that is shown during kids times do not mention God, and references to religion are usually taken out.

    Quote Originally Posted by MountainLionLink View Post
    We all know that from here on out that the series is going to suck here in America, since what will happen with Water 7/Enies Lobby? The Straw Hats can not go up against the government, since that will be un-American to some redneck idiots.
    LOL I doubt they will take that away, its drilled into our minds that the whole foundation of America was to rebel against a corrupted government. So I don't think anyone will mind, nor will they take notice that it is anything special. If anything, some people might like it lol.

  6. #6
    The Irish Cougar MountainLionLink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mission, KS
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossXD View Post
    LOL I doubt they will take that away, its drilled into our minds that the whole foundation of America was to rebel against a corrupted government. So I don't think anyone will mind, nor will they take notice that it is anything special. If anything, some people might like it lol.
    Notice how odd your statement is, mainly because, yes this country was founded by terrorist. However now we are fighting against terrorist who are trying to change the order of things. Just like the founding fathers did almost 200 years ago.

    Anyways beyond my smart arse comments of how ironic the USA history is, the Water 7/Enies Lobby will be changed to make the government not look as evil as Oda present it to be. If anything the backstory of the CP9 being a separate part of the government will be enforced more so its only the CP9 that are evil, not the government in whole.

    My theory is that Water7/Enies Lobby will just be home to the CP9 "group" instead of a purely government facility. With the government coming in at the end of the arc to investigate what is occurring at the facility after S.O.S calls.
    HALO
    It's just the Metroid series remade for the Xbox crowd.
    However Samus Aran is now some unknown low ranking military personal.
    Also the space pirates worship some giant doomsday hula hoop machine.

    Currently Reading
    Karakuri Circus, Mx0, Red River, Rosario+Vampire, One Piece

    Nintendo Wii Friend's number
    3432.6005.8978.2772

  7. #7
    Scanlator [Cross]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,962
    Yeah i know my statement is odd, I can't defend the history, or rather I won't. In any case, this would be the first instance in something like this has happened (government being made to look bad in an anime) enough that it might be edited because of the time slot for children. Its gonna be interesting to see, and I can't say that they won't edit it with complete certainty because I haven't seen it happen before.

  8. #8
    There have been "gods" in other shows, but Eneru isn't exactly called "a god." He is "God." That's quite a bit different from the Gods of Death found in Death Note. In Western society, there is typically one God, the supreme ruler, because Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are most prevalent. In Eastern society, there are usually many gods, most of which are not all powerful, because of the influences of Buddhism, Hinduism, Shintoism. Simply speaking, Western culture is more used to seeing things from a monotheistic approach, while Eastern culture is more used to seeing things from a polytheistic approach. So, in Japan, when Eneru is called a God, it isn't as big a deal as it is in America.

    As for people in America being redneck idiots, some of the people are, but most of the people who make the decisions concerning censorship aren't redneck or idiotic - they are either afraid to show anything that might get them sued or boycotted by a small collective of idiots or are restricted by censorship laws, such as the one that forces Funimation to remove Sanji's cigarettes when shown during children's programming.

    But who the hell cares? If you're a fan of One Piece, chances are you're going to watch the fansubs online (for free), and if you want to watch it legally, you'll want to buy the DVDs because it's better in the original Japanese, with no edits, and they're a better buy than most of the crap that comes out of DVD.

  9. #9
    Scanlator [Cross]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,962
    Good point, (though you can't really use death note since it airs on Adult Swim, which doesn't account for any censoring at all). Its just that because of our culture or rather vast diversity of it, dubbing anime is like walking on egg shells, we have to stay politically correct. Though that is true that people who normally watch One Piece shouldn't mind, since currently in Japan they are miles away from the dub. If anything, I'm interested in seeing how Funimation handles tough situations like this, it makes watching the old episodes more interesting.

  10. #10
    Black and white sunshine Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    <.<
    Posts
    360
    I watched the Funi version, I could of swore I heard Eneru utter the word "God" in reference to himself plenty of times. (I may have been watching the uncut version though)
    And the CP9 arc will turn out just fine, you guys worry to much.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •