Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Retired Administrator

Your December Holiday(s)

Since we have a diverse background of people here I thought it would be nice to hear about some of the December Holiday(s) that some of us may not be very familiar.

I am going to go out on a limb here and assume most people get the concept of Christmas. But what about other denominations. If you are willing to share what your belief is awesome.

To be honest I really don't know much about the religions and their holidays.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    PGP Key Here

Christmas for Extreme Catholics:

I’m almost positive that Christmas isn’t celebrated this way by other Catholics but for a good part of my childhood Christmas was the worst time of the year. My father being extremely religious, really took the whole humble thyself and feel for others pain concept seriously. And ESPECIALLY on Christmas he’d go the extra mile so we’d feel this way.
    His theory was: How dare you complain about gifts and nonsense while children in Africa are dying from starvation. I mean, whatdoya say to that?!

He was also very quick to butcher the whole Santa theory, saying corporations and mass media had taken the good name of Saint Nicholas and transformed it into some monstrosity to generate profit.

It sounds bad written in words but it wasn’t too horrible. With time he’s mellowed out and now we’re able to function as a normal Catholic family in celebrating Christmas.

Hahaha. I’m sorry my post isn’t more cultured.
    "The leopard is a cruel lover. His tenderness breaks the gazelle's heart."

Well I Mexican, enough said.

We sort of have a christmass tradition at my house ...we put give blood stickers on our doors to keep the jehovah's witnesses from bothering us, im sure its a traditiion passed down in many families.

One of my mates used to get dragged around knocking on doors by his mum, i always felt sorry for him b/c he hated it.

if ur really interested
    go to a college and ask a full time history professor
    they should know

islam, christianity, and jews all do their thing during december
    the real history of christmas thing on the history channels website should point you in the direction of many traditions celebrated during december

the whole christmas idea has actually spawned variations of the holiday in every sect of society i have encountered

Retired Administrator
    Yeah, but wikipedia / history channel does not give that personal touch. Compare.

a) Christmas is the celebration of Christs death for all sinners. It is widely celebrated through out the world.

b) We wake up early and build a fire in the fireplace. Then we open our gifts, and eat a very large breakfast. Afterwords we get dressed and go to the 11 Church service.

one is a tad more personal and give you a bit more indepth of the actual holiday.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    PGP Key Here

Alright I will tell ya what my family does,
    We mostly do the Christmas thing on the 24th
    We normally all go to my Grandmas house
    My uncles drink either outside r inside.
    My younger cousin are running around the house or yard waiting until midnight
    to open their presents.

My cousin that are close to my age normally are in my Uncles room playing 360.
    We eat tamales and ham and all sort of crap.

Oh we normally go to my grandmas at 8pm.

I don't go to church.

Pretty boring, honestly. I am Christian, but I don't even go to church on Christmas Day anymore. Its just regular ol' Christmas for us.

Merry Holidays (CAUSE I CANT SAY CHRISTMAS ANYMORE LOLZ)

It's just Christmas for us. We're not like super Christian or anything though.

believe it or not
    i go to church with my parents on christmas
    food is involved
    a few presents, although i have tried to avoid this

although i am a christian, i think it has been turned into a religion and politically charged as well as perversed, or corrupted, to the point of unrecognizably
    ppl, christianity is no more than trying to make yourself a better person in addition to those around you... the teachings of jesus christ as portrayed in the four gospels are suppose to give an idea of what living without damaging other people is like on a physical, mental, economical, and spiritual (this needs definition) level

i might be going a bit too far with this
    but christianity has been misrepresented ever since it was popularized during the roman times when about the time constatine all of a sudden thinks christianity is the way to do things
    ppl, christianity is a way of living
    with all the perversion of this, what i believe to be, ultimate way of approaching life, it is difficult to discern what is christian and what is not
    this perversion, artifice, deception, whatever is just something to be ignored as well as identified

bottom line: don't just ignore christianity or anything someone tells you in life
    actually study it, test it, yield conclusions from deep analysis
    finally, discover what is your ultimate way of living so that you can live most satisfactorily