View Poll Results: Do guys read Shojo mangas?

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just yes.

60 18.24%
  • Just no.

56 17.02%
  • Yes. Why not? It’s nothing to be embarrassed about.

182 55.32%
  • No. It's emasculating. *Drinks beer and hammers dry wall*

31 9.42%
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
    If guys like reading shounen with romance, like Inuyasha etc and all those ecchi mangas, I don't see why would they avoid reading shoujo as well.

Colonel of SOS Brigade Kushieda's Avatar
    mostly because they have a preconceived notion that reading shoujo would indicate they are somehow less masculine or even gay. In reality what you read has no bearing on your sexual orientation or manliness.

Hence, AG's first post that her brother was hiding it. He somehow felt shame in one way or another. Most likely one of the 2 I mentioned above.

Index by sangaz - All Hail Suzumiya-dono

I don't have time to read shojo, I'm too busy getting drunk and botching dry wall jobs.

有機の風
    i think nii-san reads more shojo than i do.. and i am the girl after all. why.. i guess it's about the drawing. we agree about shojo being not as well done as shonen and seinen. the shojo-mangaka just seem to draw while doing something else more interesting. at least i've never seen any shojo manga with beautiful background artwork.
    but i'm open for recommendations ^^

Quote Originally Posted by RasenShuriken88 View Post
    Like this
    That's the one. Ooooh, you're so pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by jja View Post
    mostly because they have a preconceived notion that reading shoujo would indicate they are somehow less masculine or even gay. In reality what you read has no bearing on your sexual orientation or manliness.

Hence, AG's first post that her brother was hiding it. He somehow felt shame in one way or another. Most likely one of the 2 I mentioned above.
    Once again, you've hit the nail on the head. Totally agreed.
    "The leopard is a cruel lover. His tenderness breaks the gazelle's heart."

Quote Originally Posted by organicstorm View Post
    i think nii-san reads more shojo than i do.. and i am the girl after all. why.. i guess it's about the drawing. we agree about shojo being not as well done as shonen and seinen. the shojo-mangaka just seem to draw while doing something else more interesting. at least i've never seen any shojo manga with beautiful background artwork.
    but i'm open for recommendations ^^
    Yea... I agree =] I'm really picky at the drawings. I read w/e manga if the manga has my style of drawing =P

I do read shoujo sometimes =P It all depends on the drawing

from shojo i only read yaoi......i find them really cute >.>

About the art style, I just recently bought the first few volumes of Fruits Basket and I think the art is really cute in it, Tohru's character design just makes me smile with her big cute adoring eyes.
    There are of course the typical male character designs, where they all look very feminin with narrow pointy chins and basically the bone structure of a woman, but in the case of Fruits Basket, It's kind of grown on me.

I think the typical shoujo art style just adds to the feminin feel, As it obviously should with its target audience being female and its not really something I'm uncomfortable with.

I think its just all about story and character development, If those suck then so does the manga, regardless of it's target audience. But I really find nothing wrong with shoujo in general :3

Master is My First Name Arisato-kun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangaz View Post
    About the art style, I just recently bought the first few volumes of Fruits Basket and I think the art is really cute in it, Tohru's character design just makes me smile with her big cute adoring eyes.
    There are of course the typical male character designs, where they all look very feminin with narrow pointy chins and basically the bone structure of a woman, but in the case of Fruits Basket, It's kind of grown on me.

I think the typical shoujo art style just adds to the feminin feel, As it obviously should with its target audience being female and its not really something I'm uncomfortable with.

I think its just all about story and character development, If those suck then so does the manga, regardless of it's target audience. But I really find nothing wrong with shoujo in general :3
    I agree that a story makes a manga, regardless of genre. But art is the first thing I look at. I've seen Fruits Basket's art and I like it. The shojo style for characters has really grown on me. Now I only need to get some cash and pick up a few copies.

Props to Ravona for the awesome sig! Noel is the greatest and I challenge you to prove me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by minidevi View Post
    Draciel's more hardcore than you, I bet he's out killing people now, while cosplaying nude Kyon.
    Check me out on DeviantART!

MyAnimeList MyMangaList

When I first started reading shojo I didnt even know that it was ment more for girls. Even so I read what I want when I want regardless of who it's supose to be for.
    I LIKE SHOJO AND I'LL ADMIT IT TO THE WORLD!!!!