Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face Asking for some guidance.

My friend and myself both speak Japanese pretty good (we both used to live there), and wanted to start translating manga for works that others usually wont pick up, you know, just to get some practice.

Any bits of advice, I've got an account on Manga helpers, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips ^^
    Check out my Art Thread HERE
    or Check out my Deviant Art Gallery HERE
    Currently Translating
    None ATM =(

Sounds great that you wanna help out with translations. =) I've got one suggestion as to what to translate, School Rumble. The only one i know who translates and scans this is Townsocks. Although he does a great job, he is a bit slow some times. He's a busy person, I guess. =) There are two raws out he hasn't scanned yet. I dunno how far he is in doing this, but it could be a good way to start with School Rumble. And I need some training with scanlating, so if you decide to go for it, let me know, I'll do a quick scan. Though I'm not all that good. ^^'

Edit: Just found out, the newest chapter's raw is out. But the one before that is nowhere to be seen. =O
    Last edited by Heihouka; 07-19-2007 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimie View Post
    My friend and myself both speak Japanese pretty good (we both used to live there), and wanted to start translating manga for works that others usually wont pick up, you know, just to get some practice.

Any bits of advice, I've got an account on Manga helpers, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips ^^
    My best advice would be to look over their translation forum, take a look the way other translators do it. For example, Xophien's Eyeshield 21. Remember to translate everything related to the chapter, including teaser text, preview text, side text, etc... don't worry about anything unrelated.

The typical format is to label the page numbers, and do a line break every time there's a new bubble of text (even if the bubbles are somewhat "attached" to eachother). This makes it super easy for scanlators to adapt your translation into a scanlation, and for people looking at the raw as well. Add translator notes in brackets beside a line when necessary.

Good luck

I found a quick one shot thing to translate, however, I came across a Kanji I don't know (no furigana) and it's not in any Kanji dictionaries that I find. Are there any resources of that nature that anyone has to help?

[Edit] I found out the kanji, however, the question remains, are there any useful pages/dictionaries tutorials that anyone has?
    Currently Translating
    None ATM =(

Quote Originally Posted by Chimie View Post
    I found a quick one shot thing to translate, however, I came across a Kanji I don't know (no furigana) and it's not in any Kanji dictionaries that I find. Are there any resources of that nature that anyone has to help?

[Edit] I found out the kanji, however, the question remains, are there any useful pages/dictionaries tutorials that anyone has?
    Use IME PAD.. It is a good tool.

one little question. Can you give me links for japanese learning books. I want to study japanese

Your best bet is to take classes, because studying on your own often doesn't provide fruitful returns. If you can, get in contact with your local Rotary club or Kiwanis club or something and ask them about international exchanges, so you can go live in Japan, thats what I did, I lived in Japan for 13 months for only the price of the plane ticket.
    Currently Translating
    None ATM =(

that kind of stuff don't exist in Croatia.

Do you have universities?
    Currently Translating
    None ATM =(

of course.