What do you think of the future of technology?

We are always hearing about the future and all these new things like robots that can do any human task to a method of using nanotechnology to eliminate all cancers. What are the inventions of the future and effect on society?

For instance, we will make robots do all work for us, and only researchers, programmers, and maintenance staff will make up anybody who works.

Computer technology, in my opinion, will continue to dominate future tech as we make computers smaller, faster, and capable of handling more tasks. Some people in academic communities credit genetics as being the most important discovery of the twentieth century, but I think that is ridiculous. Maybe biological discoveries will enable us to create our own organisms to do our bidding.

Well, the way that you just put it, it seems like the human race will be pretty much useless, because if we can make robots that can do work more effectively and efficiently, then who needs humans (except for making the robots =P).

Oh yeah, Morlocks and Eloi caste system, here we come.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Probably some of the most important technological breakthroughs in the near future will come from energy related fields. Lets be honest with ourselves, fossil fuels like coal and oil come from millions of years of decomposing and the reserves will eventually runout. In this respect, considering the growth of developing/industrializing nations bound to increase in the next 100 years, will humanity come up with an effective way for meeting our energy needs consumed by our current standard of living?

This question is really dangerous since if it isn't answered within the noticable near depletion of these sources, wars will break out to control them. From what I've observed, the ultimate source of energy in our solar system comes from the sun. Think about it. Dinosaurs ate plants that produced energy from the sun. All the materials in our planet, such as potassiumm and nitrogent (plant food), come from the sun. Our planet used to be a very small chunk of the sun, and fusion created all these chemicals we see around us today. Hence, in the end, we will have to get our energy from the sun. Looking over physics and chemistry, energy really is no more than the movement of particles. Temperature is a means of measuring particle movement; the hotter something is, the faster the particles are moving in it. Its the same way with light, gravity, and other things I can't think of. The more light or gravity, the more energy. All we have to do is figure out how to wield the movement of particles to our will.

Electricity is the greatest example of controlling energy. Your computer really is nothing more than electricity flowing at extreme speeds through mazes of circuits. The millions of tiny lights on your monitor change in brightness as different magnitudes of electricity flow through them. Electrical force also is stronger than gravitational force, and so it is quite an efficient tool for humanity.

The next technological breakthrough in energy will most likely try to do something to the effect of what I've explained. Ethanol has been promoted as the energy savior, but I have my doubts. Ethanol can work, but under present management, ethanol is extremely ineffective as an international means of energy production. Furthermore, it has been raising prices of food, which pressures very poor people to decide whether to eat today or not. Also note, oil produces fertilizers that greatly amplify harvest yields. When oil goes, a substitute for fertilizer will need to come out. New fertilizers can and already have been implemented, but they are widely unpopular despite being cheaper than fertilizers produced by oil (that's what i heard at least).

Anyways. I went on too long here. But. Energy is important, especially alternatives today.