Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I reckon you're over reading it. Mashima didn't even think of Susano back 10 years ago when he wrote those lines. From my perspective, have read it as it goes, instead of reading in bulk, I reckon what Itachi meant then was based off their reputations. A Sanin >>>> mist swordsmen and Uchiha.

Also, based off your theory, you said Akatsuki consist of 6 members at that time, but weren't all the members present when Jiraiya told Kakashi about Akatsuki? Did he not say that there were 9 members at that time (+Oro)?

http://read.mangashare.com/Naruto/ch...3/page005.html

As for Itachi knowing about Jiraiya's abilities, that I doubt even more. I mean even Pain wasn't that knowledgable about Sage Mode and he studied right under him. If Jiraiya hadn't lost his arm due to his carelessness, who knows, perhaps he may have won against Pain, eventually.

well, afaik pain said that if jiraiya had known his secrets then jiraiya would have won, thats a high praise from him. as for the whole itachi vs jiraiya thing, i would say that jiraiya had a small advantage due to his full sage mode that would essentially negate any genjutsu eliminating itachi's strongest weapon, and then take into account that itachi was quite ill, it would be to jiraiya's advantage, so i would say he would win, also the fact that jiraiya in terms of battle experience was several times ahead of itachi also speaks in his favor.

Itachi's illness back then most likely wasn't as bad as what it was when he battled Sasuke. I doubt it'ld play that much of a factor. Having said that, if Itachi was forced to use Susano, which would have been very likely, it's questionable about how long he would have been able to hold it as it's very demanding on one's body.

"The point to Itachi even coming back to Konoha was for sasuke's sake to begin with but choose to go after Naruto to get the nine tails, this why I love it when Itachi fans still say Itachi spared Jiraiya for Konoha' sakes dispite his plans were only to protect Sasuke at this point."

Itachi personally wanted to come to Konoha to check up on Sasuke, but his mission for the Akatsuki was to capture Naruto. So Itachi had to make an honest effort at capturing Naruto, or his role as a double agent would be revealed to Akatsuki.

With regards to this Itachi vs Jiraiya matchup, Jiraiya may have had more options than most give him credit for against Itachi. I still don't see what he'd do against Susano'o, and I think he'd have trouble avoiding Amaterasu as well, but he may have given him a good fight. I think with Kisame on his side it'd be a landslide victory for Itachi, but since Itachi was the more powerful of their duo, he called the shots. Kisame basically had no choice but to follow Itachi's order to retreat.

Slovakia, not Slovenia - LEARN THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE !!!
    It doesnt really matter what Itachi thought about Jirayia as an opponent. If he overrater or underrated him, it still doesnt mean its true. Neji severely underestimated Naruto and look what happened. Going up against an unknown ninja you have never seen fight or never directly fought with is a big gamble. You never know what kind of power he comes attacking or defending with.

BUT, I can give you my personal opinion, which is highly subjective .. if it would be Jiraiya against only Itachi, then I would say that as soon as Jiraiya unleashes Sage Mode, Itachis chances of vicotry would fall rapidly short. Plus, Itachis jutsus while being extremely powerfull, are also extremely damaging to his own overall health and stamina. While on the other hand, we have a physically superior ninja who also can use Sage Mode, a jutsu that grants you even more of that ! Durability would have been the most decisive element. But hey, as I mentioned earlier, you never know ..
    FAVOURITE MANGAS
    Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Claymore, Ao No Exorcist, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Gamaran, Toriko, Vinland Saga, Gantz, Wolf Guy, Deadman Wonderland, Vagabond, Blade of The Immortal, Battle Royale, Zettman

as i see it, the moment jiraiya would go sage mode, it would pretty much be all over, as the only 1 that would be able to fight effectively against jiraiya would be itachi and he wouldnt be able to fight 100% due to illness, and with the sage mode it pretty much negates kisame's greatest advantage of using his sword to absorb chakra, since doing so would turn the sword to stone and render it useless for kisame but on a 2 vs 1 fight, i think it would be a cointoss who would win, on a 1 vs 1 jiraiya would win.

The question is if Kisame and Itachi would allow Jiraiya enough time to get into Sage mode. Having said that, Gamabunta would buy quite a lot of time for him, I would think.

Itachi goes Susano'o...Totsuka blade like he did with Nagato and Jiraya is done. You are saying he is sennin , has sage mode and all,but he is still an old fart compared to Itachi. The very idea of older ninjas surpassing in terms of genjutsu,taijutsu and ninjutsu is totally wrong between those two guys (and also the theme of the manga is the next generation surpassing the previous).

Quote Originally Posted by Yondaime123 View Post
    Itachi goes Susano'o...Totsuka blade like he did with Nagato and Jiraya is done. You are saying he is sennin , has sage mode and all,but he is still an old fart compared to Itachi. The very idea of older ninjas surpassing in terms of genjutsu,taijutsu and ninjutsu is totally wrong between those two guys (and also the theme of the manga is the next generation surpassing the previous).
    Itachi would be hesitant to use Susano. Unlike Sasuke who just spammed it, Itachi knew that it'll kill his eye sight really quickly, and also make a huge drain on his body. I'm not saying he won't use it, just saying it wouldn't be his first option. Saying Jiraiya would lose that easily, like Nagato is a bit off, I mean Nagato was hardly mobile, Kabuto made that clear. To counter Susano, Jiraiya could have summon those 3 giant toads. We've seen Gamabunta use ranged water Jutsu's which would allow him to keep Susano at bay. Don't forget that Susano is hardly mobile, so it's not like Itachi could chase after him, and from a distance, Jiraiya could use his Sage mode sonic Genjutsu to get Itachi. It's not as straight forward as you think.

Honestly I don't really see how Jiraiya can be on an equall playing field with Itachi. Just looking at their abilities alone, Itachi's seem superior in almost every instance. For example, Jiraiya's fastest ranged attack is his hair needle attack, compared to Itachi's Amaterasu. In a side by side comparison Itachi seems to be better in almost everyway aside from stamina but that hasn't been much of a problem for him because as explained his chakra and combat efficiency is so high.

When you look at their battle records Itachi has totally dominated some of the same opponents that Jiraiya had trouble with (look at how Itachi dealt with Orochimaru and Nagato compared to how Jiraiya did). I could, and have in the past, listed dozens of reasons why I believe Itachi is more powerful so at this point I think it would redundant to go into a lot of detail but it comes down to the basic concept that Itachi has shown many abilities that should, by all indications, be very difficult for Jiraiya to counter. Jiraiya on the other hand hasn't really shown anthing that Itachi wouldn't be able to counter. Jiraiya struggled against 3 of pains bodies, yet when Itachi took on Nagato (who Naruto admitted was using his abilities on a higher level than ever before, Itachi took him down with apparent ease. Jiraiya had quite a bit of trouble finding Pains blind spots and disabling them, Itachi did it easily. Of course Itachi had the advantage of having Naruto and Killerbee to distract Nagato, but that doesn't change the fact that Itachi was able to hit Nagato multiple times with attacks that would have been fatal or disabling if Nagato did not have the Edo Tensei to regenerate him. Itachi also didn't take a single hit during that entire confrontation.

It is true that Jiraiya and Orochimaru are very different in their fighting styles and that could affect the outcome of the battle somewhat but the simple fact remains that Itachi totally destroyed Orochimaru and was able to counter all of Orochimaru's abilities easily. Jiraiya might do things different but just like Orochimaru he relies heavily on powerful Summonings, based on what we have seen Itachi would be able to defeat summonings in a multitude of ways. For most he could simply use genjutsu and control them much like how Sasuke controlled Manda. Other summons would be cannon fodder for Amaterasu, if it worked on a tailed beast it will doubtlessly work on even the most powerful summons. Then there is always Susanoo. Based on what we have seen Itachi should be able to avoid most of Jiraiya's attacks easily. As we saw in his latest ecounter with Naruto he seemed to be going toe to toe with Naruto and Killer bee in tai-jutsu and that is one of the strong points of both of those characters.

It seems to me that all of the evidence points to Itachi as being more powerful.
    Last edited by artifice; 02-07-2012 at 12:08 AM.