Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggyjebus View Post
    I think that perhaps when people search for something to use to judge a fellow poster, they use the post count because that's the only thing everybody can see. So, if one poster says something that another poster doesn't like, the annoyed poster may look at the other's small post count and use that as an excuse to say, "You're just a stupid n00b." The same goes with age, I would say.
    Yeah I guess, but that doesn't make it less lame, behavior-wise. And besides, I was more disappointed that an admin or mod would take a post count into consideration in terms of "we might be nicer to them." Post count has nothing to do with whether or not someone's a n00b, nor should it have any relevance to how he or she should be treated - I'm not one, I just simply don't post that much (although this thread appears to be increasing my post stats a bit. lol).

Sen, assuming your post was directed at my message, I think maybe I said it wrong and you're misunderstanding here, post count has never mattered much for any of the administration for the respect we hand out. The whole situation I cited in my previous post was that his FIRST post on the whole forum after being a member for over a month is a complaint demanding changes because a word used in a scanlation (nakama) annoyed him.

We don't go around saying, oh there's an argument here between a 250 poster and a 5 poster, let's side with the 250. This community belongs to its members, it's the same with any forum, if somebody who's made no contribution at all comes in here stamping his feet demanding unreasonable changes, the community will drive him away. This doesn't mean that just because someone is brand new they won't get respect, they're just bigger targets if they make stupid posts.

Retired Administrator
    *Woofcat sighs*

Ok, post count is not a determining factor. Community involvement is. If someone with 1 posts joins and posts a huge rant about uhh. slight downtime. How serious would you take it?

Would you craft a paragraph about how things are not always in your control and that we are working to prevent further downtime?

I mean, yes it makes sense but how much time should you spend on someone who posted for the sole purpose of complaining about something that they contribute nothing too? I am not saying i will not listen, but if a long standing member of the forums raises the same concerns. It is felt with more weight and gravity.

Think of it as this. You are walking down the street and some random guy insults you. You brush it off saying who the hell was that? It doesn't mean you did not hear them. But if your significant other or close family member insults you. You feel it more and are more concerned.

Edit: Whoa bluds beat me to the punch.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    PGP Key Here

Queen Most
    Likely To Be King
    Post count only shows one thing - How many posts you've made.

Now people can benefit the forum in different ways, they can suggest ideas, they can expand the reading material (fancy way of saying post) and they can become valued, and

In basic terms - Posts are contributions to a forum, since a forum is a large number of posts, people making posts essentially make the forum. Now I'm not saying if you don't post you're not a contribution, I'm just saying that those who are actively posting, help develop and expand the forum. Now don't tell me all this quality of posts stuff - Quality is relative, and people are going to want to say what they want in a community they're a part of, and I say let them. If you don't have time to make posts, or if you're not interested, then that's fine, but I wouldn't say you should mock those who are on their "quality of posts".

Now don't think this means i advocate Spam. I don't. Spam is not posting, spam is spam. Spam is not valued, and spam does not expand a forum - It hinders it. If something is spam, feel free to mock it's quality all you want. But don't believe for a second that any of the moderating team will ever advocate it. Ofcourse, what is spam, is relative aswell, infact, it's the exact same argument as quality, for what is spam other than a low quality or irrelevent post - But basically, let me say this. Spam is whatever the moderators say it is. You just have to trust that we won't go on a rampage deleting random posts complaining about spam. So as long as you trust our benchmark, nothing more needs to be said.

Either way, the points raised by Woofcat and Bluds, although good, are entirely irrelevent. Had the person requesting been an active poster, yes, we would have felt more "weight and gravity" from the request, but we still would have declined.

In the end, the only way to analyse it is this.

If it's a good suggestion, we'll make an attempt.
    If it's a bad suggestion, we won't.

The above statements are completely fucking irrelevent of Post Count, and if anyone had read Bluds statement, it raises the exact same bloody point. As far as how this benefits the user - We're not gunna accept an idea we think is bad. If the whole community is weighed against us, begging for a bad idea to be implemented, we would ofcourse bend, but the fact of the matter is, we're just here to represent and manage the community.

On the opposite side, if an idea is good, we will most likely try to implement it. Post counts do not = bad ideas. Ideas can come from anywhere, and anyone.

Try to misquote me now.

A few points and then I'm done with this:

#1:
    Ok, post count is not a determining factor. Community involvement is. If someone with 1 posts joins and posts a huge rant about uhh. slight downtime. How serious would you take it?

Woofcat, I get this - I got it in my previous post when I said:

Yeah I guess, but that doesn't make it less lame, behavior-wise. And besides, I was more disappointed that an admin or mod would take a post count into consideration in terms of "we might be nicer to them."

Basically, I get it that this is how it is. And yeah, I do still think it's lame because I personally don't think post count=contribution, necessarily. It's just my opinion that I was expressing - actually my main issue had been answered by Shaggyjebus prior to my last post. I was actually conceding the point, even though I think it's lame. I think a number of things in life are lame, but I accept that sometimes that's life and get on with it. Voicing that it's lame doesn't mean that I don't get it.

#2:
    Quality is relative, and people are going to want to say what they want in a community they're a part of, and I say let them.

If it's a good suggestion, we'll make an attempt.
    If it's a bad suggestion, we won't.

NPG, in the second statement which I've quoted above, you contradict your own statements about quality being relative - clearly, it's not. Assigning "good" and "bad" qualifications to suggestions/posts is, well, assigning quality, persnickity as this might seem. Far more importantly (to me, at least), I did say earlier as well that:

I mean, people should be able to post what they want, right? Who knows, I think one or two of my posts have been on those lines.

So I wasn't saying that people can't post what they want on a community - I've never said that nor have I implied such a thing. In addition neither I nor anyone else here seems to be "try[ing] to misquote" you. Speaking for myself, I'm just attempting to clarify my position - I'm not out to really hardcore argue with anyone.

#3:
    Regardless of all the above, Blud already cleared everything up nicely with:

We don't go around saying, oh there's an argument here between a 250 poster and a 5 poster, let's side with the 250. This community belongs to its members, it's the same with any forum, if somebody who's made no contribution at all comes in here stamping his feet demanding unreasonable changes, the community will drive him away. This doesn't mean that just because someone is brand new they won't get respect, they're just bigger targets if they make stupid posts.

So to clarify further, I get it. I got it before. I certainly do apologize if this wasn't entirely clear in my prior posts - I thought it was. And I still think the post-count qualifier for someone's contribution level is BS and lame, but I also accept that clearly this is just how the forum is run. "So why bother saying anything at all?" Sometimes it's good to just have an opinion or idea out there. Hence the point of forums and community. *shrug*

The Irish Cougar MountainLionLink's Avatar
    I’ve been on a lot of internet forums in my life since the internet was shown to me and I’ve discovered this so far.

There will always be people that sign up for things just to reap the benefits of said thing without actually contributing to said thing. I've done this multiple times to websites, and easily almost all the individuals here have as well. This is how people are in general. They want to reap the reward without working to make the reward.

As well, a lot of people are like me and they just don't see the point to replying to a lot of the topics here because of the topics discussed. Since people easily have seen the “whose the best _______ from _______ series” hundreds of times and they get tired it, which a lot of the topics here are just based around my last sentence. Or like the classic "school bully theory". Some people will not speak their mind because they do not want to be heckled about their opinions.

Whatever the overall case might is. As long as people are interested in a topic, like manga reading. People will continue to join this website. Which as long as the user base continues to grow, business will be good for the community, since I’ve noticed more various groups posting their releases on this site as well.
    HALO
    It's just the Metroid series remade for the Xbox crowd.
    However Samus Aran is now some unknown low ranking military personal.
    Also the space pirates worship some giant doomsday hula hoop machine.

Currently Reading
    Karakuri Circus, Mx0, Red River, Rosario+Vampire, One Piece

Nintendo Wii Friend's number

Quote Originally Posted by MountainLionLink View Post
    I’ve been on a lot of internet forums in my life since the internet was shown to me and I’ve discovered this so far.

There will always be people that sign up for things just to reap the benefits of said thing without actually contributing to said thing. I've done this multiple times to websites, and easily almost all the individuals here have as well. This is how people are in general. They want to reap the reward without working to make the reward.
    This brings up in my mind a question that, I think, could definitely stand to be answered:

How does one contribute?

If you're in a club or group or team or whatever, you of course do activities for the club and help out other members and, generally, try to accomplish the club's goal. In order to contribute to the accomplishing of the club's goal, you of course need to know what the goal is. So, what is the goal of MS?

There are groups on here that scanlate manga and all the things related to that; they are easily contributing because they offer stuff to be put up on the site. Admins and mods of course help control the site, and that is their contribution. What, then, is the contribution of the average member? Is it simply to post? If that is so, then does the quality of the post matter? (Not talking about or referring to NPG's post at all)

For example, am I a contributing member of MS if I post topics talking about how cool Naruto and Bleach and One Piece are? Am I contributing if I post topics to which a lot of people? Am I contributing if I post topics to which no one replies? Is there any standard there?

If there is no standard, then is posting the only thing needed in order to be a "contributing" member? What if posts are useless or have been done a thousand times before? (Such as, "Who's stronger, Sasuke or Naruto?") If useless posts don't count as contributing, then what does? Where is the line that separates "useless" and "useful"? Isn't it all about perception and taste?

In short, is there any definition of "contributing member"? Are there some members who contribute more than others? If so, what is it they do?
    Last edited by shaggyjebus; 11-06-2007 at 09:37 PM. Reason: lousey school keyboard
    All glory to Haruhi! The one and true God!

The Irish Cougar MountainLionLink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggyjebus View Post
    This brings up in my mind a question that, I think, could definitely stand to be answered:

How does one contribute?
    For me, I just try to be supportive of the site by donating money to help out on the server cost, hanging out in the irc channel, and just trying to stay out of trouble in general. Alas, that is just me though. It differentiates from person to person.
    HALO
    It's just the Metroid series remade for the Xbox crowd.
    However Samus Aran is now some unknown low ranking military personal.
    Also the space pirates worship some giant doomsday hula hoop machine.

Currently Reading
    Karakuri Circus, Mx0, Red River, Rosario+Vampire, One Piece

Nintendo Wii Friend's number

Initiate

Leechers?

Although I'm sure there will always be some of them, but not everybody who doesn't post on forums is a leecher. Many people just read the forums for information and don't get involved into discussions if they know it is either pointless, stupid or just not worth it.

Also, you know how they say, some people look smarter while they are silent.

There's been plenty of talk in this thread about quality vs quantity, post count vs other contributions.

I apparently average 0.32 posts per day. It's not that I don't want to post or that I don't like involving myself in a community, it's just that I don't have time. I work, I attend school full-time, and when I'm not busy with the aforementioned, I'm either studying, sleeping, being a good daughter and visiting my poor neglected mother (as she likes to paint herself), or catching up with friends (the offline sort, thank you).

With the arrival of really fucking cold weather (first snowfall today!), I imagine I'll be online a bit more. And if this community begins to pick up, I might be around more, too. But until the other day, my circumstances weren't exactly conducive to "contributing to the community". Does this make me a leecher, because I'm nonetheless registered and I've been taking advantage of the services provided since the bsmanga.com days?

Or, because I've donated three times, am I not a leecher? Except for some reason I don't have a star under my name. That doesn't bother me, but then, as someone with a low post count and who can't be identified as a donor, will I be looked down upon should I choose to rear my head?

The dichotomy between the number of people who want to read manga vs the number of people who want to participate on a manga message board is pretty big, but it's normal. It's sort of like in high school: It's the kids on Student Council who you can thank for school dances, school outings and prom, but don't hold it against the other students who aren't really one for getting involved in extra-curricular clubs. Some people just aren't cut out for it.