Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

[Manga] Soul Eater reviewed by Asce

SOUL EATER

Soul Eater is a shonen manga drawn by Square Enix (the makers of final fantasy). The group Manga-rain currently is the only one that scanlates it (chapters can be found on #lurk located on the server irc.irchighway.net (same as #mangashare) because the manga-rain website isn't very clear). There are currently four volumes scanlated, and eight volumes released overall.

Background info
    The story involves students at the academy known as shibusen. At Shibusen, students learn to become better "soul reapers" (I'm not exactly 100% sure how to describe them). The way people fight in this manga (usually) requires partnership. One partner, known as the weapon tech can wield weapons. The weapons the weapon tech wields is usually his or her partner transformed into the weapon. Now then, for these two to effectively battle, they must cooperate, not just in battle but also in their souls. Souls have different wave lengths and for a weapon tech to be able to wield another person, the wave lengths of the two must be synchronized or else the weapon will reject the technician.
    The school of Shibusen was established by "Shinigami-sama" who has a list of evil souls. The teams go out and defeat these people, and the weapon is able to consume the soul. When a weapon consumes 99 human souls and 1 witch soul, it is able to become the godly form of the weapon. This is the goal of every character (so far) in soul eater.

--Intermission-- confused yet? this next part will make it less confusing

Characters
    Soul: One of the main characters. He is a demon scythe meaning he transforms into scythes. He is partnered up with Maka, the scythe technician. As they gain experience together, Soul is gradually able to transform into more powerful forms of the scythe, and Maka is able to utilize him to his greatest capability. After they defeat a person, Soul eats the soul of the person.
    Maka: Soul's partner. She is an obedient girl who usually follows what she is told. She has a bad relationship with her father because he was stepping out on her mother.

Black Star: Black star is a dark blade technician. He is 100% completely obsessed and in love with himself. He believes he alone stands above all; however, at various times, he has shown to be extremely caring towards his partner Tsubaki. Black star is extremely skilled, but his ego often gets in the way of things.
    Tsubaki:Tsubaki is a very well mannered girl. She is a demon blade, meaning she transforms into various types of sword-type weapons. She is most commonly seen transformed as the two kunai chained together.

Death the Kidd: Death the Kidd is Shingami-sama's son. Death the Kidd has is extremely strong in combat. He is versatile, and quick. He is a gun technician and his partner the demon gun sisters, Patty and Liz Thompson. Although he is very strong, he is absolutely obsessed with symmetry. He constantly complains because Patty and Liz aren't exactly the same, and do not have the same cup sizes. Death the Kidd provides great comic relief in the story, but is definitely the strongest of his age. Even so, his obsession with symmetry often affects his performance in battle. For example, he is unable to attack something he finds perfectly symmetrical.
    Patty & Liz Thompson: These two sisters were originally thugs in the city, mugging people to get by. It is implied that they were saved from their life of crime by Death the Kidd. Due to this, Patty and Liz admire Death the Kidd and as a result, their souls being perfectly synchronized.

Shinigami-sama: The creator of shibusen academy. He created a list of people who are evil, and only the people on this list are allowed to be killed and have their souls consumed by various weapons enrolled in his academy.

Blair the Witch(cat): Originally thought to be a witch, Soul and Maka battled Blair and succeeded in defeating her. Soul promptly ate her soul; however, it was revealed she was only an extremely powerful cat with transformation abilities. A cat has various (probably 9) souls and so she still lives. She currently lives with Soul and Maka, and often tempts Soul sexually in a way that makes Soul uncomfortable, and they are usually interrupted by Maka who immediately smacks Soul for being perverted. (Blair is extreme comic relief)

Medusa: Medusa is a witch who is secretly in Shibusen as a nurse. She manipulates those around her in order to fulfill her master plan of creating a monster infused with black blood which one gains after reaping all souls around, despite them being on Shinigami-sama's list or not.

Kurona: Medusa's main tool. Medusa has a spell on Kurona making her fight and take all the souls around her. The result of this ruthless soul reaping is Kurona bleeds black blood, showing signs of evil and may be taken over by it.

Maka's Father: He has achieved the form of Godly scythe (the form Soul is attempting to reach). He used to be partnered with Dr. Stein, but they broke up because of Stein's ridiculous obsessions (to be explored next). Next he was partners with his wife (Maka's mother) but because of his lecherous behavior, Maka's mom left him so he currently has no partner. He is a substitute teacher at Shibusen.

Franken Stein: The strongest student to ever graduate from Shibusen academy. He used to be partners with Maka's dad. Dr. Stein currently fights without a partner (usually). He was able to take down Soul, Maka, Black star and Tsubaki by barely trying. He is very insightful and has even come to suspect Medusa in Shibusen. He is obsessed with learning more about souls and performing experiments. While he was partnered with Maka's father, he would perform experiments on Maka's father. It wasn't until Maka's father actually caught Franken Stein in the act that they stopped being partners (apparently unexplained random scars weren't enough of a hint). Although he is extremely strong, Dr. Stein is also hilarious, simply due to his ridiculous nature.

Overall Ratings
    Art: 7/10 - There really isn't anything to complain about in terms of the art. I suppose it could be clearer at times although I'm not sure if that's the scanlators' faults.
    Story: 7/10 - I couldn't decide between giving it a low score or a high score. Indeed the story starts off confusing, but after you grasp the concept, it becomes extremely well thought out.
    Style: 8/10 - Just the way the manga feels, I'm liking where it's going.
    Comedy: 7.5/10 - There are some extremely funny moments in the manga, none of which seem like they're trying too hard.
    Overall: 7.5/10 - I believe this is a really good manga and I just wish more groups picked it up. I recommend it to everyone.

PS: Sorry if the end seemed a little bit rushed but I can't spend more time on this for now, it may be updated at a later time.

Ravona

Ever wonder why one of your particularly bad posts has been deleted? Feel free to contact me!

Thanks, Asce, it seems very interesting, I will definetely read this one!

I read the first chapter its pretty good.

Did you read the one labeled chapter one or intro one. Since I didn't notice the intro chapters and I jumped right into chapter 1-3, then I realized the other ones in volume 1 actually came before those. Although those intro chapters, some of them don't actually occur (I think), since I'm pretty sure it was stated soul had 99 souls in one of them, but in chapter 1 it's stated he has none.

Ravona

Ever wonder why one of your particularly bad posts has been deleted? Feel free to contact me!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Yeah Asce, I finally got around to reading it, and I did start with the intro ones luckily. Seems good so far, I especially like Black Star, that stupid showoff, I'll be sure to keep up with this series.

Spoiler!

Why don't more people read these mangas?

The Irish Cougar MountainLionLink's Avatar
    This sounds like an interesting approach to a series. However it sort of reminds me of Shaman King as well. Which I liked that series a lot.
    HALO
    It's just the Metroid series remade for the Xbox crowd.
    However Samus Aran is now some unknown low ranking military personal.
    Also the space pirates worship some giant doomsday hula hoop machine.

Currently Reading
    Karakuri Circus, Mx0, Red River, Rosario+Vampire, One Piece

Nintendo Wii Friend's number

thank u asce it seems very interseting

Looks like something ill have to check out, thanks for the heads up.

You can also read it at
    onemanga.com

Thanks for teh review, Asce

I like it but at times it can be a little corny, especially when they have kids going out and beating these suposedly really dangerous witches and immortals and stuff...

I like Blair though, thought I wouldn't at first but then I saw her in action this past chapter and now I like her again.
    A pie in the sky?