Vampire Chronicles -Anne Rice
    cept for the last few, they were pretty gay

made by [DFX]
    Quote Originally Posted by DFX View Post
    you got me what I always wanted \o/
    you're now my favorite person.
    jaeger makes the internet go round

Quote Originally Posted by Archiel View Post
    Really, good luck with Paradise Lost, it's just really.....
    WHHHAAAATTT!??!!??

You don't like Paradise Lost? This is like my third time to read it, it's one of my all time favorites.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Philip Pullman- The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass
    Jonathan Stroud- Amulet of Samarkand, Golem's Eye and Ptolemy's GAte
    Katherine Roberts- The House of the Scorpion

Why am I the only person in here reading Iain M. Banks' novels? All of you. Go read them. Now.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    blood is thicker than water. luffy cant swim in water. theres some logic in there
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy
    coincident

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
    Good murder mystery. Serial killer stuff.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
    Sarcasm done right with beautiful style.

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
    Words cannot describe how awesome this book is. The author quite literally draws picture with his words. If you loved All Quiet on the Western Front check this one out.

Silence by Shusaku Endo
    A religious historical novel set in 16th century Japan. Story about Portuguese missionaries turned martyrs when Japanese Feudal lords try to drive out Christianity from Japan.

And nostalgically:
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
    I actually read this when I was in middle school and recently came across this book again at Borders. I’m sure most have read this one already. If you haven’t-- shame on you --please do so.

There are so many more great books, but this will do for now. >.<
    "The leopard is a cruel lover. His tenderness breaks the gazelle's heart."

Quote Originally Posted by Arrancar Grimmjow View Post
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
    I actually read this when I was in middle school and recently came across this book again at Borders. I’m sure most have read this one already. If you haven’t-- shame on you --please do so.

There are so many more great books, but this will do for now. >.<
    I remember reading that book in my 8th Grade Literature Class, I was a sad story.

Not reading anything at the moment since school is keeping me too busy, but I plan to read Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk. Chuck Palahniuk is a great author who was also the writer of Fight Club. I've already read Choke, Invisible Monsters and Diary and after Lullaby I plan to read Haunted, Survivor and Rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabarnes View Post
    Right now, I'm working on The Canterbury Tales (Chaucer), Paradise Lost (Milton), and Fear and Trembling (Kierkegaard). I just finished I and Thou (Buber), Samson Agonistes (Milton), and Troilus and Criseyde (Chaucer).
    Fear and Trembling is awesome. I fangirl for Søren Kierkegaard. Either/Or is one of the most dog-eared books in my library.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChemist View Post
    Not reading anything at the moment since school is keeping me too busy, but I plan to read Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk. Chuck Palahniuk is a great author who was also the writer of Fight Club. I've already read Choke, Invisible Monsters and Diary and after Lullaby I plan to read Haunted, Survivor and Rant.
    I have this incredible capacity to read just about everything, even shitty Harlequin romances. I just have that predisposition towards finishing anything I start.

Palahniuk's "Choke" is the only book in recent memory that I actually gave up on halfway through. It was filled with unnecessary attempts at being controversial and reeked of him being a try-hard.

I've got a few things going right now:

"On s'habitue au fins du monde" by Martin Page
    "Anti-Oedipus" by Félix Guattari and Gilles Deleuze
    "The Location of Culture" by Homi K. Bhabha

I'm also forever trying to finish Thomas Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow", but it never seems to end.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabarnes View Post
    WHHHAAAATTT!??!!??

You don't like Paradise Lost? This is like my third time to read it, it's one of my all time favorites.

Paradise Lost is all good, it's just I'm not usually a massive fan of the whole poetry thing.

On another note, I went and got myself another book by Tariq Ali this one entitled "Speaking Of Empire And Resistance: Conversations With Tariq Ali", this man really is a genius, and I love his work, "Bush In Babylon" and "Clash Of The Fundamentalists" are great as well if you want to learn something real about history, something which you don't really know about and a very real and different point of view about current events and the state of the world today.

Edit: Forgot to mention, avoid if you're American and deeply patriotic.
    Last edited by Archiel; 11-05-2007 at 10:43 PM.

Spoiler!

Why don't more people read these mangas?

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tiger View Post
    I have this incredible capacity to read just about everything, even shitty Harlequin romances. I just have that predisposition towards finishing anything I start.

Palahniuk's "Choke" is the only book in recent memory that I actually gave up on halfway through. It was filled with unnecessary attempts at being controversial and reeked of him being a try-hard.
    Palahniuk's writings are an acquired taste. His books aren't in any sense what you'd considering normal reading.