Dearly Devoted Dexter
    Consider Phlebas (4th time)
    Dexter In The Dark
    Excession
    The Player Of Games
    Use Of Weapons
    Inversions
    The State Of The Art
    Matter (If it's out by the time I'm done with the books before it.)
    The Men Who Stare At Goats
    Them: Adventures With Extremists

The italicised ones are by Jeff Lindsay, the normal ones are by Iain M. Banks and the emboldened ones are by Ron Jonson.

</sci-fi whore>

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    blood is thicker than water. luffy cant swim in water. theres some logic in there
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy
    coincident

Reading now...
    - Recopilatory of Young American Novelists' new stories

On hold...
    - Don Quixote (Cervantes)
    - The Merchant of Venice (Shakespeare)

Plan to read...
    - World Without End (Ken Follett)

Quote Originally Posted by damnz View Post
    - Don Quixote (Cervantes)
    Man, you'll have lots of fun reading this book. I'm like almost finished with it, and I like it a lot. It's veryy veryyyy funny. The best moments while reading this book were the times when Don Quixote gets beaten up and pwned from others and then he says he was unlucky and stuff...

Books I've read and enjoyed are the Alex Rider series, Artemis Fowl, Diana Wynne Jones, Terry Pratchett, Charlie Bones, Storm Thief by Chris Woodling, the Eragon trilogy, the Key's to the Kingdom Series, Barry Hughart's novels, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Harry Potter, the Grimm Brothers etc.

Mostly fantasy, a little bit of sci-fi (twice a decade maybe) and none with outright mature details. Pure noir, thrillers and horror just can't hook me and there's no way I'd pick up a full-on Romance novel. The same goes for bibliographies and war stories. A majority of humourous books just annoy the heck out of me.

You can tell by now that I'm really picky and partly because of that I find it hard to pick up books over the past few years. Now I just look at the summaries and think 'It doesn't seem very intriguing.' or 'I've seen these a dozen times already'. I love well-developed characters, great plots (action, adventure and humour included), unexpected twists and a potential for catharsis but I'm also looking for those that are... unique. It's easier to find Manga with these traits compared to books and manga also has a very strong appeal for visual types like me.

The reason I've ranted so much in this post is because I would appreciate some recomendations for books that I would be interested in. I miss curling up in a corner and reading a good book.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Solitaire; 10-28-2007 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Typos
    Good image hosting at http://www.imageshack.us
    Credit for reticle brush used in avatar goes to: http://gnash05.deviantart.com

Queen Most
    Likely To Be King
    I am aswell currently pushing through the Ice and Fire books, there s'ok.

But all that can be said is...

DAN. ABNETT.

Anything by him will blow your socks off - That being said, the Ravenor trilogy wasn't too brilliant.

But my fave book ever? Comte de Monte Cristo - Alex Dumas, just superb.

Also, if anyone wants to get their brain into gear - Get reading Q.E.D by Richard Feynman.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post

The reason I've ranted so much in this post is because I would appreciate some recommendations for books that I would be interested in. I miss curling up in a corner and reading a good book.

Thanks in advance.

You may like the A Song of Ice and Fire series the characters aren't to bad its fantasy based book. But you should like it.

I know You said you didn't like biographies , I would recommend The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer by Philip Carlo. It tell the life story of mafia hit-man Richard Kuklinski and some of the murders he has committed.

Right now, I'm working on The Canterbury Tales (Chaucer), Paradise Lost (Milton), and Fear and Trembling (Kierkegaard). I just finished I and Thou (Buber), Samson Agonistes (Milton), and Troilus and Criseyde (Chaucer).

All for classes. I can't remember the last time I was able to read just for pleasure.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by Dabarnes View Post
    Right now, I'm working on The Canterbury Tales (Chaucer), Paradise Lost (Milton), and Fear and Trembling (Kierkegaard). I just finished I and Thou (Buber), Samson Agonistes (Milton), and Troilus and Criseyde (Chaucer).

All for classes. I can't remember the last time I was able to read just for pleasure.

The Canterbury Tales, I think I had to read that back in my Freshmen year of highschool, not to sure,

Queen Most
    Likely To Be King

I feel sorry for you.

All completely illegible.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Ah lets see, the last six books I've read, and the next six books I will read.

Last 6:

The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald
    The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time- Mark Haddon
    The Husband- Dean Koontz
    Critique Of Pure Reason- Immanuel Kant (actually haven't finished, this thing is driving me crazy).
    The Republic- Plato
    I Am Legend- Richard Matheson

Books on the list:

Treatise of Human Nature- David Hume
    Wheel Of Time Book 12: A Memory Of Light (when it comes out)- Robort Jordan
    La Nausée- Jean- Paul Sartre
    War and Peace– Leo Tolstoy (can't believe I still haven't gotten around to it yet)
    Thus Spoke Zarathustra- Friedrich Nietzsche
    Kurt Kobain's Journal's (I was only able to read a bit, so I still haven't finished it).

Really, good luck with Paradise Lost, it's just really.....
    Last edited by Archiel; 11-01-2007 at 01:39 AM.

Spoiler!

Why don't more people read these mangas?