Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Meat From Cow Stem Cells

OH WOW!, One year Later (from the last Post).

Well I ran into this story today:

What does a stem cell burger taste like?

Every now and then something well...interesting caches my eye from the world of science. This time its the fact that scientists are hard at work growing Cow meat in the lab, and they are at the point of taste testing the stuff.

The reason this is significant (to me) is not just because it is meat, it's because I have long thought that Mankind will find its way forward based on what we make, and that is not limited to machines. Theoretically, we should be able to make ANYTHING by combining Knowledge, with Energy and base materials.

With today's knowledge it may not be advantageous to make Corn in the Lab, but what about 50yrs from now? We may have enough understanding of bio systems and genetic engineering, so much so that hunger and starvation would no longer need plague our peoples. We certainly have way to go yet, but I am an optimist.

The key to the future lies in Knowledge first and foremost. So to you younger folks out there, study well, be scientists, learn what you can, do research, apply yourselves and pass on what you've learnt to the ones who will follow you.

Our future lies in your hands. (And Oh Yeah Read a lot of Mangas and watch anime too...how else would you get all the good ideas, eh?.

LOL,

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

One Piece

Is the stem cell burger healthier to eat? I can't wait until they figure out how to make us live forever, I want see the future forever!

Here's another topic : http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog...r-system-.html
    Last edited by FenixMarco; 08-05-2013 at 09:17 PM.

^ I seriously doubt we can cheat death, extend life sure but live forever is probably just fantasy. Everything ages and dies that's just one of the immutable laws of the universe.

We may have enough understanding of bio systems and genetic engineering, so much so that hunger and starvation would no longer need plague our peoples.

We already have the technology to end starvation in the world it's a matter of do we have the will. The answer to that is obviously no as even in America the richest country in the world we have children who don't get enough food not because there is lack of it just access to it.

Fire type

What chakra type are you?
    http://www.quizilla.com/quizzes/4038...lement-are-you

Quote Originally Posted by POW View Post
    ^ I seriously doubt we can cheat death, extend life sure but live forever is probably just fantasy. Everything ages and dies that's just one of the immutable laws of the universe.
    I don't know about that check this out.
    http://discovermagazine.com/2012/oct...or-immortality

Ah, this talk about longevity and immortality reminds me of Eternal Sabbath.

Anyway, even the current humans don't utilize their potential life span, since technically, a human should be able to live for 200 or more years IIRC, but that doesn't happen (I no longer remember why ).

There are organisms that live on earth that technically have the potential to live eternally, thought they are limited by resources and other outside interferences.

Let's also not forget that humanity's greatest predator would also have extended life, since it is humanity itself (not only other subjects, but even the individual tends to be dangerous to itself), thus even with potentially over 1000 years to live, the average lifespan might not even surpass 200 because of human mistakes, genocide, wars and the like (the resources are limited, thus people living longer and still being capable of reproducing in a similar manner would turn out to be a grave problem, unless at that time we would be able to find other resources in space, or other ways to live). This race is still simply immature as a sentient beings and have other problems to take care off before they consider living eternally (not to mention that if at some point in time, someone were able to prove that an immortal soul exist, could potentially turn meaningless the whole chase after bodily immortality).

Also, achieving immortality at the cost of our humanity might also be meaningless, since we no longer would have been humans, thus technically humanity would never had the chance to be immortal, since it would cease to exist (it's pretty funny that the whole chase after immortality might end humanity ).

Also, even if humanity at some point were to gain immortality, it still wouldn't be immortal, because the universe itself has a time limit, unless they would prove capable of surviving the end and beginning of the new world.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Ah, this talk about longevity and immortality reminds me of Eternal Sabbath.

Anyway, even the current humans don't utilize their potential life span, since technically, a human should be able to live for 200 or more years IIRC, but that doesn't happen (I no longer remember why ).

There are organisms that live on earth that technically have the potential to live eternally, thought they are limited by resources and other outside interferences.

Let's also not forget that humanity's greatest predator would also have extended life, since it is humanity itself (not only other subjects, but even the individual tends to be dangerous to itself), thus even with potentially over 1000 years to live, the average lifespan might not even surpass 200 because of human mistakes, genocide, wars and the like (the resources are limited, thus people living longer and still being capable of reproducing in a similar manner would turn out to be a grave problem, unless at that time we would be able to find other resources in space, or other ways to live). This race is still simply immature as a sentient beings and have other problems to take care off before they consider living eternally (not to mention that if at some point in time, someone were able to prove that an immortal soul exist, could potentially turn meaningless the whole chase after bodily immortality).

Also, achieving immortality at the cost of our humanity might also be meaningless, since we no longer would have been humans, thus technically humanity would never had the chance to be immortal, since it would cease to exist (it's pretty funny that the whole chase after immortality might end humanity ).

Also, even if humanity at some point were to gain immortality, it still wouldn't be immortal, because the universe itself has a time limit, unless they would prove capable of surviving the end and beginning of the new world.
    That's exactly what we would do, expand into space. Immortality = destruction of us? Think you a bit pessimistic about it, everyone would be partying. Yeah and it would also prove that the immortal soul exist!!!!!

^ Currently the universe is expanding, but at some point it will start shrinking until it returns to nothing, from which a new world is going to be born (more or less), thus unless humanity gains the capabilities to survive that (which means Godhood pretty much), they will die with the world. Even if their bodies could have been sustained eternally, the resources will end. Thus technically, immortality of body is impossible (in difference to soul that supposedly doesn't need anything to sustain itself and isn't affected by physical matter, though it depends on beliefs).

Let's also not forget that one of the most important resources to humans is water, which is very limited in space as it turns out and the real wars over water haven't even started yet.

At this point in time and even in the near future, going out to outer space will do nothing more than create another war front. Seriously, before spreading ourselves over the universe, we should first take care of the current problems and mature as a sentient race, so that it will not end up as a fatal mistake.

In the extreme future, and assuming we continue to advance, we could bio-engineer ourselves to be extremely long lived, and perhaps even transfer consciousness from one body to another. With enough imagination, enough knowledge, and enough power we could accomplish things that would seem miraculous to today's humans.

On the subject of water, Well it is not so scarce in space, espescially if we bio engineer bodies that need very little food or water.

Hydrogen is the moest common element and it exists everywhere in space, for example as methane gas. Oxygen is in many minerals and rocks. Asteroids are mere clumps of ICE.

If humans were to move to Mars for instance, we'd need to extract Oxygen from CO2 in the atmosphere, and just use the subsurface frozen water.

I am not sure about true immortality, but it is theoretically possible to have arificial android bodies that house our brains and spinal columns. But even that would be unneccessary if we had extreme medical science in addittion to bio-engineerd bodies that would live for centuries, and then we could transfer our consciousness to new bodies.

Theoretically of course.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

Funny story: I thought this thread was new, in reaction to the recent Naruto Shippuuden Episode 322. Only when Paul mentioned the time skip in posts did I notice this thread was ancient! lol.

Unfortunately, bioengineering our foods and meats in a lab would do nothing to alleviate world hunger; it would ever only give us more food to waste. Because the only companies who can afford to bioengineering the stuff would NEVER settle for donating their product to the end of world hunger rather than, say, getting filthy rich. Same thing for any corporations that figured out how to engineering longer/healthier lives for humanity. Everything would be to the highest bidder, all the time, because that's how our species is--f**ked.

Zero is right: The only thing that would benefit the human race, serve as a "next step" in the advancement of things we can conceive and achieve, is a complete evolution in our sentience/intelligence than where we stand now. When you have companies attempting to patent human genes and successfully putting patents on FREAKING CROP SEEDS, it becomes obvious that our quest for scientific knowledge and advancement will forever be shackled with the burdens of our never-ending quest for self and self-preservation.

But that's probably drifting more from science to philosophy, so I apologize if I've misdirected the thread in any way. On an unrelated moral note: I don't know how many puppies I'd slaughter to get a chance to visit the galaxy of even a single nearby star and investigate the planets/asteroids orbiting it. So many puppies...

THEY CANCELLED THE REAL PIRATE KINGS OF RAFTEL?!!!

Proud (and confused) subscriber of Shonen Jump Alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    ^ Currently the universe is expanding, but at some point it will start shrinking until it returns to nothing, from which a new world is going to be born (more or less), thus unless humanity gains the capabilities to survive that (which means Godhood pretty much), they will die with the world. Even if their bodies could have been sustained eternally, the resources will end. Thus technically, immortality of body is impossible (in difference to soul that supposedly doesn't need anything to sustain itself and isn't affected by physical matter, though it depends on beliefs).

Let's also not forget that one of the most important resources to humans is water, which is very limited in space as it turns out and the real wars over water haven't even started yet.

At this point in time and even in the near future, going out to outer space will do nothing more than create another war front. Seriously, before spreading ourselves over the universe, we should first take care of the current problems and mature as a sentient race, so that it will not end up as a fatal mistake.
    Yeah the universe is expanding but that doesn't mean it'll all one day shrink to nothingness. You know the age of the universe is based off how far we can see the observable universe. So we don't really know how old is the universe.If we move say 15 billion light-years will just get more of the universe on a different perspective. So we can only see as far as light travelled to us. I don't know about you but I don't believe everything will turn into nothingness.

I'm with you guys about world hunger, we do have the tech and resources to end it but it will take a lot effort to extinguish it.