Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Taking off weight is equivalent to applying a force equivalent to that of gravity and applying it in the opposite direction. It doesn't have to necessarily point to density.

If put that way (i.e. as a force based on an object's weight applied in the opposite direction), both momentum and kinetic energy can be cancelled. Impulse (Force applied over time) cancels momentum. That means a cancellation of velocity, which in turn causes kinetic energy to be reduced to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by kuroihikari View Post
    Taking off weight is equivalent to applying a force equivalent to that of gravity and applying it in the opposite direction. It doesn't have to necessarily point to density.

If put that way (i.e. as a force based on an object's weight applied in the opposite direction), both momentum and kinetic energy can be cancelled. Impulse (Force applied over time) cancels momentum. That means a cancellation of velocity, which in turn causes kinetic energy to be reduced to zero.
    First, I agree that this does not seem to be a density issue. But Don. D. Bulky has a good point. If the Meteor's overall density had been suddenly reduced to that of say a Helium Balloon, it's weight relative to earth' atmosphere could be reduced to Zero, and this would have become a bouyancy issue..

Unfortunately it would still have its Momentum and Kinetic Energy, and would probably collapse due to the stresses being exerted on it by the atmoshere. In other words an object that size with low overall density, would do very poorly when subjected to the drag it would experience by traveling at the tremendous velocity of a huge meteor at terminal velocity.

On the other hand, while your hypothesis is certainly plausible, it doesn't seem that Oonoki is using applied force to counter the Momentum of the meteor (as say would have been the case if he were superman). I say this because he used a similar Jutsu on Gaara's sand in the previous chapter. Also an applied force would not affect the weight at all. We would hve a situation akin to a Helicopter at hover where its velocity relative to earth is Zero, but it's mass and weight are retained.
    Last edited by paulbee; 10-29-2011 at 03:29 PM.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

That's all a matter of semantics, though. Before humans realized that air had weight, they thought that feathers magically made things weightless. The state of simulated zero gravity objects within a plane accelerating downwards at g experience is still called temporary weightlessness, for example.

That's all a matter of semantics, though. Before humans realized that air had weight, they thought that feathers magically made things weightless. The state of simulated zero gravity objects within a plane accelerating downwards at g experience is still called temporary weightlessness, for example.
    While I agree with you completely, it still doesn't seem to fit what we saw. Anyhow, since it is a plausible explanation were just gonna have to accept it as such.

But as I said previously, Tsuchikage Must be from Planet Krypton, to be able to muster sufficient counter force to arrest the Meteor's Momentum/Kinetic Energy.

What is the name of the theory in physics/chemistry that dealt with ...I think the spreading of molecules or something? But I can simply relate the theory to everyday lingo "bad things happening to a person, then at least a good thing has to happen as well". I just can't recall what that theory scientifically is talking about.

Any help would be much appreciated.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    What is the name of the theory in physics/chemistry that dealt with ...I think the spreading of molecules or something? But I can simply relate the theory to everyday lingo "bad things happening to a person, then at least a good thing has to happen as well". I just can't recall what that theory scientifically is talking about.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Your question is just too vague. In thermodynamics, there is ENTROPY, that is sometimes described as the tendency of molecule, atoms, energy in a system to go from a state of order to more disorder.

If that is not what you were thinking, please try and ask again, if you remember later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy...nd_disorder%29

In Gaseous expansion we have Boyle's law and Charles' Law, which explain How expanding gases can be used for refrigeration and air conditioning, as they absorb heat from the environment while expanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles%27s_law
    Last edited by paulbee; 11-19-2011 at 05:11 PM.

^Thanks

I was watching something on the science channel and I missed the part where they answered a question they said they would answer after the break. In string theory, how does gravity come from another dimension exactly? And does the theory relate to how is gravity strong in blackholes and how gravity is relatively weak in other places?

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Are you sure its string theory? Because general relativity already says that gravity bends space and time (i.e. goes into 4 dimensions), so light travels slower around regions with high gravity.

Imagine say the entire 3-D universe is mapped onto a 2-D blanket on top of a bed. The heavier objects produce bigger indentations and a black hole is actually a hole going right through the bed. Say you let a toy car go across the bed's top, it will take longer to cross the indentations (where gravity is high) than the flat surface of the bed, and when it actually encounters a hole, it will fall through and never cross the other side. If the surface of the bed, is the 3D universe, then the indentations gravity make go into dimensions outside of our known 3.

Are you sure its string theory? Because general relativity already says that gravity bends space and time (i.e. goes into 4 dimensions), so light travels slower around regions with high gravity.

Imagine say the entire 3-D universe is mapped onto a 2-D blanket on top of a bed. The heavier objects produce bigger indentations and a black hole is actually a hole going right through the bed. Say you let a toy car go across the bed's top, it will take longer to cross the indentations (where gravity is high) than the flat surface of the bed, and when it actually encounters a hole, it will fall through and never cross the other side. If the surface of the bed, is the 3D universe, then the indentations gravity make go into dimensions outside of our known 3.
    Yes I think so.

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/...-universe.html

"Yet what if gravity only seems weak? What if, unlike electromagnetism and the nuclear forces, gravity is not confined to our everyday world of three spatial dimensions and one time dimension? If gravity is acting in two or three or several other dimensions as well as the familiar four, we may be experiencing only part of its effects."

According to the show there are many universes and it all overlaps each other. I'm wonder I'm interpreting what I heard right, does gravity originate in another dimension and seeps into ours?

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Yes I think so.

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/...-universe.html

"Yet what if gravity only seems weak? What if, unlike electromagnetism and the nuclear forces, gravity is not confined to our everyday world of three spatial dimensions and one time dimension? If gravity is acting in two or three or several other dimensions as well as the familiar four, we may be experiencing only part of its effects."

According to the show there are many universes and it all overlaps each other. I'm wonder I'm interpreting what I heard right, does gravity originate in another dimension and seeps into ours?
    Guy, I believe I saw the same show that you did, but I cannot at this time recall all that I saw and heard. My balanced take is that these kinds of theories need to be supported by experiments, or by other areas of theoretical physics. In the end, a theory is just a theory and it will be many years before we advance our knowledge of the universe to where we have sufficient confidence in the theories.