Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Edo Tensei's real purpose

Chapter 555 was a great chapter in many ways, I expected something like that to end the third raikage, but i was getting super worried when the bjuu bomb failed but not surprising right. Naruto didnt finsh his training, he did leave in a hurry.

But I can without a doubt now say that kishi has showed us the real reason why edo tensei was devised and the big downfall in using edo tensei incorrectly like orocihmaru/kabuto.

In the recent chapter the third raikage stabbed himself via a rasengan. Basiclly Kabuto didnt know about the hazzards in the thrid raikage's fighting style. But the raikage knows the risks all too well and if he were in control he would have retracted the attack at the last second because of his previos near death blunder from his eigth tails fight. Kabuto didnt even make him use black lightning and the third riakage developed the technique.

So we can conclude when we see edo tensei summons fight, so much really depends on the summoner. Another case of this is with the 1st and 2nd hokages. They are revered to be very powerful , yet we didnt see much from either of the them as edo tensei summons. For example, 2nd hokage was skilled in time-space jutsu(according to minato), 1st hokage, well we dont alot but we know hes very strong to take on madara(ems) and the fox.

So the only way to get the best results when using edo tensei is not to take complete control and let the summon fight with its own will. But this is hard as usally this jutsu has been used in akward situations where the summons are fighting their own allies like the 1st&2nd hokages against the 3rd hokage and therefore orocihmaru took complete control and as a result we saw limited skills. Another big case of this was Hanzo's fight with the samari leader, kabuto didnt try to take control of Hanzo until it was too late. This is one of my biggest disapointments we will never see this shinobi fight again and when we did see him it was brief but I understand why it went down the way it did. Hanzo iniatlly wanted to fight and we got to see more skillls he can excute but ultimately Hanzo lost his modivation to fight and killed himself in the end and again like the hokage fight we didnt see much from Hanzo abilites wise.

So to overcome this, the situation has to match the head to head encounter meaning pit the summons against their natural enemy. For example lets setup this hypotheical situation. Madara killed hasihrama during their fight and to avenge his death his brother the 2nd hokage summons him and kills madara. Now hasihrama would want to fight madara and would be fighting with his knowledge of his own powers and the oppenent.(Something that has been kabuto's undoing in these past fights, obviosly third raikage recently but nagato last battle and a few other fights. Kabuto underestimated the situation despite knowing Nagato was paralysed. Nagato set up many safegaurds to aviod fighting directly himself when he was alive.)

Which comes to my main point of this thread, why did the 2nd hokage create edo tensei? Dispite the senju clan are described as peace keepers, playing with the dead doesnt seem their style at all.

So I believe the 2nd hokage created this jutsu for two reasons.
    • To have closure with someone dead, you know the famous phrase, " let their soul rest in peace". And as we saw early in the war once a soul(not taken over by the summoner) is at peace they return to the afterlife.

• And Second, simular to the first but nothing to do with the summoner personally but a common enemy, particulay where there's bad blood already. Eg..madara and hasihrama,itachi and madara,muu and 2nd muzikage etc..

• Here's another idea(http://www.mangashare.com/forums/thr...636#post895636) to combat the tailed beasts. After hasihrama's passing and distribution of the tailed beasts to balance the powers it would be a good idea to have this technique to contain the tailed beasts. Many sacrifces have been made to just to be hosts so I can see this happening.

Despite these nobal causes, this does require a living sacrifice. The era for the 2nd hokage to devise this I assume was during the same era of madara and hasihrama(both hasihrama and madara know about this jutsu already). Which was an era of constant war between clans, times must have been dire at times and shinobi were willing do anything to protect their clan's survival even sacifice themselves(uchiha did plenty of this for MS and Izanagi). As a result I believe the 2nd hokage declared this jutsu forbidden after hasihrama united clans to form villages.

Hope you enjoyed my take on a yet simple detail from chapter 555 but I think it does prove edo tensei real purpose, and the creator's mindset to think of something like this radical jutsu.
    Last edited by psukkar; 09-21-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    The Master's Legacy

If a theory can't explain the mysteries of the past, it has little chance to explain the mysteries of the present and future.

Someone mentioned it before but part of the reason the 2nd Hokage created Edo Tensei was to counter the Uchiha's Sharingan with another Sharingan.

Fire type

What chakra type are you?
    http://www.quizilla.com/quizzes/4038...lement-are-you

Quote Originally Posted by POW View Post
    Someone mentioned it before but part of the reason the 2nd Hokage created Edo Tensei was to counter the Uchiha's Sharingan with another Sharingan.
    humm, that seems abit reduntant. Senju already were the greatest clan. I cant see the 2nd hokage using this technique everytime he encounters a sharingan.

But it could be why not, theres nothing to say it isnt so.

???????
    I would like to believe edo tensei was created to use enemies as allies, I mean what better way to learn techniques and info about other villages, Orochimaru should have used this technique on people like kimimaro and the other sand nin. Or he should have had kabuto use it on him (if he had that much trust for kabuto lol). If a snake like kabuto can infiltarte these villages and raid their most precious tombs im sure someone with stealth skills could do this for instance yamato or even the fourth, however konoha may have been to good hearted to use that jutsu for anything like that. I would love to see why the second created the jutsu in the first place. Like someone before me mentioned it could be because he wanted to say one last goodbye to someone or put the soul of someone who died but still had unfinished business to rest.
    ???????

its purpose could aslo have been to bring back former dead friends and allies to ease the pain of their death or to provide some kind of guidance etc. but i also believe that is mainly a secondary purpose, i think its main pupose is to use your enemy's strength against them.

???????
    I like the guidance part, imagine a students teacher dying before his training is complete then being brought back to teach him a crucial step or give some crucial info.
    ???????

Quote Originally Posted by psukkar View Post
    humm, that seems abit reduntant. Senju already were the greatest clan. I cant see the 2nd hokage using this technique everytime he encounters a sharingan.

But it could be why not, theres nothing to say it isnt so.
    Just because Senju was the strongest clan doesn't mean that every single member of Senju could defeat every member of the Uchiha, and one or two(Madara and Izuna maybe, or for the future generations) might have been stronger than the strongest of Senju, maybe not at the time, but later, and I think that Madara definitively would stand more than a fair chance against Tobirama.

And who's to say that he would use it every time he meets an Uchiha? I really don't get your logic there, just because dynamite was invented for blasting wholes and to be a key to a better future doesn't mean that it got to be used every single time you need a whole, when you might as well dig it with a shovel when it's only 1 feet deep. Dynamite =ET. Whole=Uchiha. Depth=Uchiha's power.

Manga/Anime I read/have read/tried to read:
    Spoiler!

Water type

What chakra type are you?
    http://www.quizilla.com/quizzes/4038...lement-are-you

???????
    The senju and uchiha were the two strongest clans in the world at the time they were always struggling against one another, as it said in the manga, when one party hired senju the other party hired uchiha. they were the only ones that could deal with one another, I dont see a clear advantage to either side except hashirama was the strongest man at the time.
    ???????

Quote Originally Posted by Gaara Kazekage View Post
    Just because Senju was the strongest clan doesn't mean that every single member of Senju could defeat every member of the Uchiha, and one or two(Madara and Izuna maybe, or for the future generations) might have been stronger than the strongest of Senju, maybe not at the time, but later, and I think that Madara definitively would stand more than a fair chance against Tobirama.

And who's to say that he would use it every time he meets an Uchiha? I really don't get your logic there, just because dynamite was invented for blasting wholes and to be a key to a better future doesn't mean that it got to be used every single time you need a whole, when you might as well dig it with a shovel when it's only 1 feet deep. Dynamite =ET. Whole=Uchiha. Depth=Uchiha's power.
    pow said it was used to counter the sharingan, the way it sounded was like it was only solution. but to be fair pow was just trying to recall a past post.

???????
    I could definitly see tobirama at least using the tech one time to counter a sharingan, its been stated in the manga the best way to counter sharingan is to have a second person to distarct the sharingan user and to be able to snap u out of genjutsu. It doesnt neccessarily mean he had to summon another uchiha.
    ???????