Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Shingeki no Kyojin ~ Isayama Hajime

If you like mangas with a good balance of action, drama, gore, politics, psychology and realism, then you're in for a treat. Shingeki no Kyojin's very dark mood is somehow balanced with it's very shounen-like main character. The art isn't that refined but this seem to add to the mood of the story. It matches the sad and tragic feel of the manga. The feeling I had while reading this manga is similar to watching World War II movies and series.

Synopsis: Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by giants. Giants are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of giants. Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a giant in over 100 years. Teenage boy Elen and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a super giant that appears out of thin air. As the smaller giants flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Elen vows that he will murder every single giant and take revenge for all of mankind. Nominated for the 4th Manga Taisho Awards (2011).

This manga won the Kodansha Manga Award this year.

Here's the link: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin

I hope you enjoy it!

UNLEASH THE GREEN BEAST OF KONOHA

The Demon Prince
    You posted in the wrong section. On top of that - the thread for this manga is already created.

http://www.mangashare.com/forums/thr...geki-no-Kyojin

When distant and unfamiliar and complex things are communicated to great masses of people, the truth suffers a considerable and often a radical distortion.
    The complex is made over into the simple, the hypothetical into the dogmatic.

Sequence Distortion - Omega Theorem

Wow! You actually had made a post 2 days earlier than mine. I'm happy that another person is actually enjoying this manga.

I had second thoughts about placing this thread in the Shounen category because it seems to be borderline Seinen. Look at Deadman Wonderland, Freezing and High School of the Dead. They aren't categorized as Seinen at all in mangareader.net but they all belong in the Seinen category of this forum. I know you've read it and you can admit that the gore, violence and level of grotesque is almost sienen-like. Non-japanese readers seem to have a different criteria of what is sienen and what is not, although in Japan Shingeki no Kyojin is categorized as Shounen with no doubt.

Let's leave it to the moderators then. I bow down to their decisions.

Thanks for letting me know. Seems like a good read. And if that's art from the series at the bottom of the 1st thread post, then the art seems pretty crisp either way. Glanced at mangareader real quick, so there's about 30-ish chapters already out?
    There are more things in heaven and earth then is dreamt of in your philosophy

The Demon Prince
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte.Teacher View Post
    Wow! You actually had made a post 2 days earlier than mine. I'm happy that another person is actually enjoying this manga.

I had second thoughts about placing this thread in the Shounen category because it seems to be borderline Seinen. Look at Deadman Wonderland, Freezing and High School of the Dead. They aren't categorized as Seinen at all in mangareader.net but they all belong in the Seinen category of this forum. I know you've read it and you can admit that the gore, violence and level of grotesque is almost sienen-like. Non-japanese readers seem to have a different criteria of what is sienen and what is not, although in Japan Shingeki no Kyojin is categorized as Shounen with no doubt.

Let's leave it to the moderators then. I bow down to their decisions.
    I completely agree with you, and I myself would also class it as Seinen, albeit there are tons of manga(s) whose categories are debatable, such as Goth for example.

What chapter are you on ?

When distant and unfamiliar and complex things are communicated to great masses of people, the truth suffers a considerable and often a radical distortion.
    The complex is made over into the simple, the hypothetical into the dogmatic.

Sequence Distortion - Omega Theorem

@ SCarred Luffy... : That image is just one of those colored pages, so the artist put more effort in drawing and coloring it. The art in most pages is a bit raw. But then again, the art style seems to match the over-all tone if the story. It's kindly like shaky camera goes along with Word War two movies. It kinda makes you feel the confusion in the battle field. I think there are 23 chapters scanlated so far. I'm not sure whether the scanlation is regular or not.

@ MakubeX: I've read all chapters so far. =)

Was asking because the @ mangareader a few "chapters" said volume instead, so I thought technically they might be a group of chapters in 1 post?
    There are more things in heaven and earth then is dreamt of in your philosophy

Now that you mention it.. Yeah... the one with the word volume has like 200+ pages in it. So yeah... There are even more than 30 or so chapters.... But Im' not really sure though.. I haven't thought about it that much....

The Latest chapter is out:
    http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/29

I'm curious to find out the real identity of that giant female, what will happen now to Eren? I hope he doesn't end up becoming an enemy of the humans in the future..
    "Religion is the masterpiece of the art of animal training, for it trains people
    as to how they shall think."

Arthur Schopenhauer - Pessimism