Where in the hell are the ANBU and ROOT?!

I've read every single chapter of the naruto manga.

And I'm lost.

It's all-out ninja war, all the ninja nations are united against a single threat.

I've yet to see Konoha's ANBU special forces and ROOT. ROOT may have disbanded since danzou's tongue sealing technique vanished and they may be apart of the normal ninja. However, AFAIK ANBU has not disbanded and are easily distinguishable by their animal mask faces.

Part of the reason Naruto and team were sent on many missions were because ANBU were busy tackling harder missions and protecting other things or what have you.

OK, so obviously they can't be too busy to participate in all-out-war. So where the hell are they? I always imagined that the ANBU were super-elite ninja (I mean hell, Itachi was recruited to be among them and we all know how good he is/was.) fighting force reserved for tactical strikes.

Has anyone spotted them? Can anyone please explain to me where they are/went?

Thanks

Another well known ANBU member is Yamato btw, and Kakashi, since he lead Yamato's team. Well anyways, all the villages have ANBU and they are among the best of the village. It seems that Asuma, Kakashi and Gai are way over normal ANBU, but being an ANBU isn't just a matter of power and skills but also other useful ability's. Take Yamato, he seems to be relatively "normal" bad choice of word for a manga, but what he excels at is tracking, tho none of the members seems to bad at fighting either.

As I see it, there are 3 likely reasons why we don't see any ANBU. 1) They might be good but they are not at a Kage lvl and isn't necessarily better than the other jonin's(see above). And they fade in comparison to the powerful enemy's that have been summoned. Therefor they won't be of any more use than any other nin out there. And so there is no need to draw them in when they won't do anything special. I would bet on this.

2)They might be back at their respective villages. If they were to loose the war then someone got to take care of the women, children and non militia(it's not like everyone can fight like in the real world). And/or because they might get attacked and so someone got to stay behind and protect the village, for all anyone knows even one of the other villages might have wanted to make good use of the war to sabotage the other villages and steal secret scrolls and such.

3) They might not even be wearing the masks in the war because they have no need for them. The masks are worn to protect their identity and to show that they are ANBU, but in the war it doesn't matter. They all fight under the same commanders and carry out the same mission, to defeat the enemy.

Manga/Anime I read/have read/tried to read:
    Spoiler!

Water type

What chakra type are you?
    http://www.quizilla.com/quizzes/4038...lement-are-you

There most likely on black ops activity. MOst wars even in reality have many operations that you dont find out about even after a war. Sad I know

I never really paid much attention to ANBU. ANBU in my mind has two functions:

1) Alleged Hokage protection detail
    2) Plot tools/devices

They don't even do #1 particularly well, as we saw when Orochimaru killed the 3rd Hokage. And when Pain invaded Konoha, there was just one ANBU guy to be seen. Root were hiding in their Danzo Hole, and regular ninjas were left to fight. Before that, I guess there were some fodder ANBU for Madara to kill when he attacked Konoha, but I don't remember them doing any of the heavy fighting afterward.

I think Kishi probably created ANBU for some purpose in a past episode, and now were stuck with a non-existent entity.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    I never really paid much attention to ANBU. ANBU in my mind has two functions:

1) Alleged Hokage protection detail
    2) Plot tools/devices

They don't even do #1 particularly well, as we saw when Orochimaru killed the 3rd Hokage. And when Pain invaded Konoha, there was just one ANBU guy to be seen. Root were hiding in their Danzo Hole, and regular ninjas were left to fight. Before that, I guess there were some fodder ANBU for Madara to kill when he attacked Konoha, but I don't remember them doing any of the heavy fighting afterward.

I think Kishi probably created ANBU for some purpose in a past episode, and now were stuck with a non-existent entity.
    Didn't the ANBU help fight the monster summons in the Pain Invasion arc?

Hmm! I thought that was only anime...I could be wrong :(

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

I feel ANBU and similar groups are not getting due attention. Even if keeping their actions behind the scenes it would be nice to hear about their results in dialogue, especially now we are reading about a ninja war. The tailing of kabuto is a good idea of what we should hear about anbu and similar groups doing. Exposing weakness of at least some of the edo zombies or zetsu clone identification would do wonders for black-ops ninja group awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbee View Post
    Hmm! I thought that was only anime...I could be wrong :(
    I remember seeing it the manga as well.

they did help, infact if it wasnt for nagato's haxxed dog bs summon their elemental combos were bloody great.