Hybrid View

Lightning VS Earth element - The confusion

Well I just though share something that kishi appears to either left something out about this element match up or has done a mistake. I'm hoping its the former.

Will start with what the manga is saying

Manga facts

We are told when Naruto is training for his wind element that lightning is a bad match against earth. Yamato then says to naruto "your lucky your not a earth user me" because sasuke uses lighting.
    http://read.mangashare.com/Naruto/ch...3/page013.html

Now in the recent chapter with the third raikage told the allaince that all shinobi apart from earth users should retreat. The thrid raikage(black lightning user) is trying to save shinobi from needless deaths yet says earth element shinobi should fight him. http://read.mangashare.com/Naruto/ch...8/page022.html

Laws of nature

Earth doesnt conduct electricty this why when there's a lightning strike all the people on earth dont die from the 1000000 volts coming at the earth.

The vertict

Now the the part with raikage against the army is following logic that earth users should have advantage to lighnting users due how nature works. But yamato told naruto earth is weak against lightning.

Confusing isnt it

So which is it?

Is lightning weak against earth like it should be and yamato is a noob

OR

Is lightning strong against earth and therefore making the third raikage a noob? This doesn't sound right, noob and kage shouldnt co-exist.
    Last edited by psukkar; 07-28-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    The Master's Legacy

If a theory can't explain the mysteries of the past, it has little chance to explain the mysteries of the present and future.

Is it just me or is the Mangashare online reader not working? I'm gonna assume it's just me in which case, I don't know how to fix it. Anyway, I thought the Raikage told the Earth element users to get back. Or the translation I read had him saying he would blast the Earth element users standing in the front lines. I can only assume that was him indirectly telling the Earth element users to get the fuck outta the way cuz they would get destroyed.

Anyway, as the Sasuke vs. Deidara fight demonstrated, Earth techniques are indeed of little use when going head to head with Lightning techniques. Not saying that an Earth element user wouldn't be able to beat a Lightning element user, but they would have a hard time dealing with the elemental disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Afro Thunda View Post
    Is it just me or is the Mangashare online reader not working? I'm gonna assume it's just me in which case, I don't know how to fix it. Anyway, I thought the Raikage told the Earth element users to get back. Or the translation I read had him saying he would blast the Earth element users standing in the front lines. I can only assume that was him indirectly telling the Earth element users to get the fuck outta the way cuz they would get destroyed.

Anyway, as the Sasuke vs. Deidara fight demonstrated, Earth techniques are indeed of little use when going head to head with Lightning techniques. Not saying that an Earth element user wouldn't be able to beat a Lightning element user, but they would have a hard time dealing with the elemental disadvantage.
    Dont know why mangashare isnt working, maybe overload.

Anyway, he says everyone except earth element shinobi to retreat.
    In a way i was happy to hear that because earth has natural advantage to lightning, but maybe this is translational error or seomthing. But this most curious.

Also later on if you look at thr yamato reference,

its makes prefect sense for kishi to switch the positions of lighnting and earth on the element drawing. Since lightning is strong against water and wind is strong against earth. But they thats just me.

Try posting this thread on NarutoForums? The last week's chapter, 548 was released very early, like tuesday i think, so there are no spoilers I can compare the translations to. You're best off asking on NF, try the translation section first, or check the konoha library to see if this was discussed already which most likely was, if not, create ur own thread.

Lightning element jutsus are in fact superior to Earth element jutsus, as lightning holds the elemental advantage. Like Afro pointed out, we've seen this with Sasuke Vs Deidara fight, Sasuke's lightning charge was able to diffuse the earth element C4 micro bombs and also the earth element landmines. Also we've seen Kirin shatter an entire mountain (earth).

As for what the sandaime raikage said, I think that was in more regards to the shinobis who were capable of creating obstructions/barriers between him and themselves, also protecting others in the process. Since he had gone into Raiton shroud mode, he was most likely going to use his speed first, and the earth element users could slow him down, obviously they would be defeated but long enough to buy time for the kage Gaara to arrive. If they were to put em earth defenses, Raikage could easily shatter em with his lightning punch, but least it would be the earth that's shattered, not shinobis skulls.

Until we see more of the fight in action, or if you can find out if the translation is correct or not, that's what I'm going with, that he asked the doton shinobis to stay only to put up earth element defenses, slowing him down in the process and buying time.

EDIT: I looked and there's no Earth Utopia release of Chapter 548 yet, or Mangazone, only mangastream release so we have pretty much no spoilers or alternative translations to compare to.

http://www.narutoforums.com/showthre...492104&page=17 This thread is ur best bet, Shounensuki is never wrong.
    Last edited by Rokudaime Sennin ™; 07-28-2011 at 09:12 AM.
    A bridge towards peace; the will of fire still endures!

Rokudaime Hokage, Rokudaime Rikudou Sennin Uzumaki Naruto

Quote Originally Posted by Rokudaime Sennin ™ View Post
    Try posting this thread on NarutoForums? The last week's chapter, 548 was released very early, like tuesday i think, so there are no spoilers I can compare the translations to. You're best off asking on NF, try the translation section first, or check the konoha library to see if this was discussed already which most likely was, if not, create ur own thread.

Lightning element jutsus are in fact superior to Earth element jutsus, as lightning holds the elemental advantage. Like Afro pointed out, we've seen this with Sasuke Vs Deidara fight, Sasuke's lightning charge was able to diffuse the earth element C4 micro bombs and also the earth element landmines. Also we've seen Kirin shatter an entire mountain (earth).

As for what the sandaime raikage said, I think that was in more regards to the shinobis who were capable of creating obstructions/barriers between him and themselves, also protecting others in the process. Since he had gone into Raiton shroud mode, he was most likely going to use his speed first, and the earth element users could slow him down, obviously they would be defeated but long enough to buy time for the kage Gaara to arrive. If they were to put em earth defenses, Raikage could easily shatter em with his lightning punch, but least it would be the earth that's shattered, not shinobis skulls.

Until we see more of the fight in action, or if you can find out if the translation is correct or not, that's what I'm going with, that he asked the doton shinobis to stay only to put up earth element defenses, slowing him down in the process and buying time.

EDIT: I looked and there's no Earth Utopia release of Chapter 548 yet, or Mangazone, only mangastream release so we have pretty much no spoilers or alternative translations to compare to.

http://www.narutoforums.com/showthre...492104&page=17 This thread is ur best bet, Shounensuki is never wrong.
    yea thanks for help, I will diffinitly ask someone about this. This whole earth thing has been on my mind for some time.
    Last edited by psukkar; 07-28-2011 at 03:41 PM.

I think its a mistranslation in the version you posted, in the version on Mangastream, the Raikage says "I am a Raiton user, I am going to blast the shinobi in the front row down." Lightening has the advantage against earth, as has always been the case within the manga.

Yeah, Kishi went all G.I. Joe "Blow-up-the-glacier-so-the-Joes-underneath-it-will-be-crushed-by-the-sinking-ice-chunks" on that one relationship. Raikage must have been mistranslated, as Earth has been a thrice-announced superiority to lightning:

1. As has been mentioned, Sasuke's diffusion of Deidara's clay bombs with his lightning Chidori
    2. Yamato tells Naruto that he is lucky he has a wind affinity, because it can defeat Sasuke's lightning (thus meaning that earth is NOT the element that can beat lightning)
    3. Kakuzu was easily "killed" while using his earth-element skin-hardening by Kakashi's Raikiri.

Definitely opposite, but the rules of his manga, I suppose. That makes me think that the Edo Raikage was warning all Earth users in particular to get the hell out the way (Glad Tamari is there to match him!)

THEY CANCELLED THE REAL PIRATE KINGS OF RAFTEL?!!!

Proud (and confused) subscriber of Shonen Jump Alpha.

Intresting enoght the translation appears to correct from narutofourms.

Clay bombs not sure its that just earth element.

Hes labelled as blast user.

The time where it was clearly mentioned that lightning has advantage over earth is when yamato obviously said it and when kahashi stabed kakuzu's rock skin jutsu with this chadori.

THe barrier idea seems plausible but would u just fire wind jutsu at him. Still doesnt make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by psukkar View Post
    Intresting enoght the translation appears to correct from narutofourms.

Clay bombs not sure its that just earth element.

Hes labelled as blast user.
    They are. Sasuke confirmed it. Making them explode is an element of his Blast element Bloodline Limit.