1 12.50%
  • |3| Average

3 37.50%
  • |2| Bad

0 0%
  • |1| Terrible

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    such a blow as a child can mess up a child's mind, and those experiments aren't helping either.
    Even though it might look psycho and 'just a little grudge', her goal wasn't all that psycho in the end.
    Only thing that made me scratch my head was how ur's 'life-water' ended up all the way over FT-island.
    All what's left is hades... hope the main plot-story will be well played out.

Quote Originally Posted by Miineur View Post
    well now we know her background:o
    Quote Originally Posted by daz bonez View Post
    I just can't stop laughing.Ur melted into the ocean.Take a dip in the sea, see memories from Ur.
    now I wonder how big the Fairy Tale world is?.....

Ultear's past was pretty unsatisfactory to me. Kidnapped by a magical laboratory for testing? Who somehow convinced Ul that her body was too gruesome to see just because of excessive magic? And Ul didn't demand her daughter's body for a funeral? And to top it off, she did all that complex scheming and manipulating over the years for a simplistic, childish grudge over seeing her mother with two other kids that gave her such a huge irrational hatred?

Expected that actually. Makes sense except for the Doctors agreeing to make her stronger. Any1 could see she was gonna kill them afterwards. That's just puzzling.

Question: In 1 of Gray's earlier "telling of his origins", wasn't Ur raising the boys while still hoping to find her child? Wouldn't that contradict with the new version she told Ultear "through the water", about basically giving up after she thought her dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrary View Post
    It's all probably Hades' plan.
    Yeah, kinda suspicious how quickly he found her in that library, alone, so easily. Wouldn't be surprised if Hades was behind all that happened to Ultear, or she remembered their "torture/research into a painful disease" slightly altered.

Quote Originally Posted by cross777 View Post
    its was a great end to this fight. no one is really picking up that gray just about straight up matched if not over powered ultiar. no crutch victory he just won. i think that shows how far he has come. also the lightning storm could be luxas lets hope thats so. i don;t think they beat hades. but i think he gets away with zerf and does some magic to pull his people out of there at least the ones he sees fit to keep. i think he "wins" and they put up a hell of a fight. i think he just takes zerf and leaves in some kind of i have done enough ending to the battle.
    Except Gray, pretty much only won because the mangaka literally made her character weaker, + then lose her motivation to fight in the 1st place, so she's basically not fighting back at all. Kinda far from "No crutch victory".
    There are more things in heaven and earth then is dreamt of in your philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by SCarred Luffy Lvl:Z View Post
    Except Gray, pretty much only won because the mangaka literally made her character weaker, + then lose her motivation to fight in the 1st place, so she's basically not fighting back at all. Kinda far from "No crutch victory".
    thats not what happened. he beat her time magic, then out matched her ice magic, she was fighting through that flash back and gray hit a finisher B4 she lost the will to fight. he out matched her. if anything he went easy on her by not killing her when he had the chance to at the end of the fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by arisart View Post
    Lol, I bet you argue too much with cross. It's not really healthy you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Death View Post
    Hey stick to the topic, quit asking nonsense question about other series or if cross777 is thunder luffy which by the way have different IP addresses.... Next person that goes off topic will be infracted...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thats not what happened. he beat her time magic, then out matched her ice magic, she was fighting through that flash back and gray hit a finisher B4 she lost the will to fight. he out matched her. if anything he went easy on her by not killing her when he had the chance to at the end of the fight.
    Are you kidding me? Gray won because Mashima made Ultear stupid. And as if it's not enough, he made Ultear confused as hell by making her having flashback of her mother. Ultear should have avoided those strikes from Gray. She didn't even have to use ice magic to beat Gray. Heck even Natsu had a hard time fighting her.

sig made by me

What made Ultear a very interesting character was that she was so mysterious.. her past, her alliances.. but now that they revealed her past, it kind of loses it's mystique... but at least we have a sensible reason and a resolve.

Now, I don't think this chapter wraps up Ultear's story... nor do I think she will be joining Fairy Tail... What I think should happen is that it was Hades' idea to abduct Ultear and test her. And also, Hades would reveal to Ultear (after a bit of agitation) that the Arc of Time magic does squat and you can never turn back time with it. That would set Ultear off and I think Ultear's got herself in alot more shit than Jellal did, so she could be arrested too.

And the battle against Hades... Well, we cannot forget about Cana's Fairy Glitter. Plus, Lucy did acknowledge in the beginning of the arc that she plays a big role in this arc. Lets just wait until chapter 242 and find out!

Are you kidding me? Gray won because Mashima made Ultear stupid. And as if it's not enough, he made Ultear confused as hell by making her having flashback of her mother. Ultear should have avoided those strikes from Gray. She didn't even have to use ice magic to beat Gray. Heck even Natsu had a hard time fighting her.
    Ultear started losing because she underestimated Gray, and put too much faith into her Arc of Time. (Which to be fair, she had little reason to doubt it's effectiveness against Ice Make) Gotta give credit where it's due, Gray circumvented his entire skillset being nullified while in the midst of battle. That's S-Class worthy right there.

She was defeated thanks to her memories being reestablished for her, and in that moment of weakness Gray took the agenda and impaled her with FREAKIN ODIN'S SPEAR. Gray isn't stronger than Ultear, it was just this instance where he was able to get the better of her. He stayed calm, cool and collected throughout, a sharp contrast to Ultear who once she noticed Gray starting to mount an offense freaked and busted out something new.

As they say, "Discretion is the better part of valour," something Gray knows all to well.

As long as everything just keeps on flowing forward, then that's already enough.
    Where there's a will there's a way!
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Trilight View Post
    Ultear started losing because she underestimated Gray, and put too much faith into her Arc of Time. (Which to be fair, she had little reason to doubt it's effectiveness against Ice Make) Gotta give credit where it's due, Gray circumvented his entire skillset being nullified while in the midst of battle. That's S-Class worthy right there.

She was defeated thanks to her memories being reestablished for her, and in that moment of weakness Gray took the agenda and impaled her with FREAKIN ODIN'S SPEAR. Gray isn't stronger than Ultear, it was just this instance where he was able to get the better of her. He stayed calm, cool and collected throughout, a sharp contrast to Ultear who once she noticed Gray starting to mount an offense freaked and busted out something new.

As they say, "Discretion is the better part of valour," something Gray knows all to well.
    yeah i mean i was never saying he was stronger im just saying people are not giving him enough credit for his win. is he as powerful., like you said no no but he did over power her in ways. you know. i like you do not think people gave him enough credit.
    Lol, I bet you argue too much with cross. It's not really healthy you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Death View Post
    Hey stick to the topic, quit asking nonsense question about other series or if cross777 is thunder luffy which by the way have different IP addresses.... Next person that goes off topic will be infracted...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yeah i mean i was never saying he was stronger im just saying people are not giving him enough credit for his win. is he as powerful., like you said no no but he did over power her in ways. you know. i like you do not think people gave him enough credit.
    Gray is a victim of poor circumstances. There's 2 primary reasons why.

1. Many people, myself included, expected this arc to be Fairy Tail's first real defeat once Grimoire was introduced. IMO things were going fine even after 4 of the 7 Kin were defeated and Bluenote appeared. It wasn't until Erza defeated Azuma after coming back from a magical explosion comprised of all the energy Tenrou Island had to offer, all thanks to Gerard's psychic connection, and won out of pure Deus Ex Machina that things started to go down hill. Despite the development it gave Erza's character, it was a farfetched way of justifying her win even for Fairy Tail. Then we were treated to Gildartz oneshotting an opponent he was previously on even grounds with and Fried and Bixlow, with the help of the Take Over family, taking out Rusty quite easily. Everyone was eagerly anticipating these three coming back and making an epic save for the guild, and when we were treated to a single chapter of anticlimactic action it had a demoralizing effect. By then we were back on track for the usual ride and it bummed a lot of people out.

2. Ultear is one of the few longstanding villains in Fairy Tail. I knew her confrontation with Gray was inevitable, there was too much history there not to exploit. I just didn't think it would happen so soon. I quite enjoyed this fight and it solidified Gray as a Top 5 Mage in Fairy Tail, tied with Natsu, but for some it was just tipping the iceberg even further into the unbelivable scope of Fairy Tail overcoming the odds once again against opponents they should have no business defeating. I'd say this fight was by far the least convoluted out of the past 4, and personal bias for Gray aside he earned his win.

Nevertheless, I'm pumped for Hades and win or lose I'm sure the fight will not disappoint. Every now and then I wouldn't mind Mashima allowing Fairy Tail to be trounced, Rave Master didn't have as much trouble making it's characters seem beatable, but I'm still heavily enjoying the manga. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it continues to be my favorite series currently running.

As long as everything just keeps on flowing forward, then that's already enough.
    Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Trilight View Post

And that's why I think it's stupid. First, she doesn't seem to be the type who underestimate people. She's been planning this "resurrect Zeref" thing since she was a kid and has done dangerous job like being an assistant to Gerard in the council and now doing shit under Hades nose. She's like a pro and should know that underestimating people is a big sin. You've got a point that Gray's magic is supposed to be no match for Ultear's magic that made her overconfident but that doesn't mean she should just take Gray's frontal, clearer than the sky attack without even trying to defend or block it.

I don't mind the second part of the fight coz Ultear is totally distracted and confused so Gray landing an attack is likely but the fight didn't have to go there if Ultear were actually paying attention to Gray.
    Last edited by arisart; 07-08-2011 at 05:45 AM.

sig made by me

And that's why I think it's stupid. First, she doesn't seem to be the type who underestimate people. She's been planning this "resurrect Zeref" thing since she was a kid and has done dangerous job like being an assistant to Gerard in the council and now doing shit under Hades nose. She's like a pro and should know that underestimating people is a big sin. You've got a point that Gray's magic is supposed to be no match for Ultear's magic that made her overconfident but that doesn't mean she should just take Gray's frontal, clearer than the sky attack without even trying to defend or block it.

I don't mind the second part of the fight coz Ultear is totally distracted and confused so Gray landing an attack is likely but the fight didn't have to go there if Ultear were actually paying attention to Gray.
    This arc really started to divide Ultear's character into two different and distinct personalities. First off there's the manipulative, conniving bitch who'll stab you in the back faster than you can blink who we all know and love, and then there's the psycho chick with an unhealthy obsession with Zeref who thinks way to highly about herself. I prefer the former, but she had a broken childhood so it's no surprise she's a little wacked out in the head. Bipolar much?

Even when she fought Natsu, she never took him seriously and I'm sure she didn't plan on him defeating her back on Galuna Island in her transformed state. Again another example of her underestimating her opponent. She is without a doubt one of the most shrewd planners the series has ever had, and yet at the same time her emotions get the better of her too easily whenever her mother is brought up. (Meldy can attest to that)

We've known Ur was her berserk button for a long time now, and that carries over to Gray seeing as she saw him as her mother's replacement for her. I honestly think if she had been fighting anyone else but Gray she wouldn't have lost it. Her emotional instability and arrogance caught up with her.

Gray was more or less her trigger factor and what sent her into a holier than thou unbeatable stance she initially put up. After that frozen fist to the face however, she started to understand that despite her advantage she better put up or shut up. Gray didn't get much offense in either, he just made every move count. I maybe giving Mashima the benefit of the doubt, but for Gray I think this was a necessary win. Though I wish it could have come much later, I had always thought Ultear would be his final opponent in the series.

Spoiler!