Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soul Calibur V

Hybrid View

Soul Calibur V

Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords eternally retold

Official Site

Overview: Set 17 years after Soul Calibur IV, the story will follow the new main protagonist Patroklos, son of Sophitia. (Voiced by Yuri Lowenthal if you couldn't tell)
    Spoiler!

The Dev team wants at least 26 characters.

So far also confirmed are original protagonist Siegfried now older and wiser.

Pyrrah, Patroklos' sister and Sophitia's daughter. (Getting a Laura Bailey vibe, but too soon to tell)
    Spoiler!

Hardened samurai warrior Mitsurugi.
    Spoiler!

And the demonic possessed armor Nightmare.

Other noteworthy news is that the guest character has already been decided.
    Expect more news rushing in as E3 gets underway. Release date is scheduled for 2012.
    Last edited by Trilight; 05-12-2012 at 11:21 AM.

As long as everything just keeps on flowing forward, then that's already enough.
    Where there's a will there's a way!
    Spoiler!

No Star Wars bullshit in my SC this time.

Lollipop Candy ♥BAD♥ girl daz bonez's Avatar
    thx for the thread tri^...other stuff

Patroklos
    Spoiler!

Siegfried + 17years later
    Spoiler!

Info so far :

-The battle system comes improved, new features added

-Main character is called Patroklos (He's Sophitia's son, FYI)

-Trailer was shown @ Level Up

-Coming 2012

-A true SC sequel, set 17 years later in the timeline

-More coming @ E3

-Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 (?)

The game, set 17 years after Soulcalibur IV, features guest characters, Project Soul producer Hisaharu Tago told Christian Donlan for Eurogamer.

The main character is Patroklos, son of Sophitia. Patroklos is "inspired" by the gameplay of Sophitia, but is "sharper" and "more agile". He has new moves, but they're all inspired by Sophitia's.

V takes the Siegried ending of IV and builds upon it. Seigfried, now 39 years old, no longer wields the Soul Calibur sword.

V is described as a "generational shift", complete with new characters, but SCIV characters will return. "SC 1-4 was a continuous story," Tago said. "We want to make a generational shift with a new story this time."

The Soulcalibur series is famous for the inclusion of characters from other universes, such as Link from The Legend of Zelda and Yoda from Star Wars. Will other non-Soulcalibur characters feature?

"Difficult question," Tago said. "We will have guest characters as we did with Star Wars. Please stay tuned for more information on that."

V marks a shift from two-handed swords to short swords, Tago announced. The story includes "the enigma as to why the swords have become short swords".

The game's new fighting style is described as "lighter, sharper, and more elegant". The online mode has been improved with new features. "Gameplay in IV could be a little heavy, particularly when you were online – we wanted gameplay that was more fast and reactive," Tago said.

On the shift in gameplay: "Maybe the hardcore fans will be afraid that we lose the core of the gameplay, but that's not the case. And for new players it's nice to have gameplay that is more continuous – you don't need to wait as much between moves.

"There is quite some change in the gameplay from SCIV. The pace of the game has been improved, and the combos will be easier to perform, and the moves will be easier to pull out."

Elsewhere, Tago confirmed the create a character feature from previous games in the series returns, but refused to divulge details.

Namco Bandai is yet to show actual gameplay, but promised more information at E3 next month."
    Age of existing characters: (Should they return)
    Spoiler!

A time skip is actually a really good idea for this franchise. I'm looking forward to what changes will be made to a lot of the main characters.
    but I am kinda surprised they went 17 years later.
    I guess Ivy won't be "marketable" anymore.

As long as Mitsurigi's and Takigameplay style does not change much, I'm sold. Raphael is probaly some batshit insane demi god by now.
    Last edited by daz bonez; 06-03-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xioaxioa View Post
    Fisher Tiger is a punk ass bitch.

-----credit to Maximo for the kick ass ava----

A 31-year-old Amy would be nice to see. I hope they keep Setsuka and Tira in it, too. They were my favorites.

Tira also has that storyline connection with Patroklos and Pyrrah back when she was trying to kidnap them as potential hosts for Soul Edge, not to mention she's a fan favorite and one of the few bad guys. I'm pretty confident she'll return.

My personal faves were always the Kilik, Xianghua, Maxi trio but I never knew there was such an age gap with Maxi. Also, Xianghua is older than Kilik huh? I think they can all still go, unless Xianghua popped out a kid sometime in between those 17 years.

They'll probably use some type of science excuse for Ivy to return, something about alchemy used to keep her looking young. Can't see them not bringing back arguably the poster girl of the franchise.

I can see Bangoo replacing Rock, and Zasalamel is immortal so I don't think age matters with him. Characters like Voldo, Cervantes and Yoshimitsu don't seem like age would really affect them either so I expect to see them too.

EDIT: Whoa boy, looks like I overloaded the first post. Thanks a ton Daz for the pics of Siegfried and Patroklos along with all that additional info.
    Last edited by Trilight; 06-07-2011 at 07:39 AM.

As long as everything just keeps on flowing forward, then that's already enough.
    Spoiler!

Thanks to Comic-Con we get an updated look at the latest additions.

Gaming's most famous dominatrix makes her appearance known, and she's stopped aging at the ripe old age of 32. Gotta love science huh? Most shocking of all, her outfit isn't chock full of fan service!
    Spoiler!

We're also introduced to some newcomers. First off there's Zwei, the pretty boy shrouded in mystery and used to swoon over droves of female fans. Ahh I can see the Yaoi fanfics with Patroklos already.
    Spoiler!

Last but certainly not least, my personal favorite of the new arrivals, Natsu. Taki's student brought up by Chie, Chief of the Fu-ma clan. She harbors the great demon Arahabaki within her. (Description blatantly stolen from the official site, which you'll find in the opening post if you're interested)

She's a young 17, and perhaps a downer for those expecting Taki. I wouldn't count the ninja mistress out yet, but I'm certainly fond of who she's decided to teach in her potential absence.
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Hell Yeah! I love this franchise ever since I got my hands on SoulBlade for the PSX. (at my tender age of 9 ^^)

Just like Trilights my favs are Kilik and Xianghua (Maxi not so much)

The whole SoulBlade/Soul Calibur story never ceases to amaze me, so I'm definetly gonna get this.
    Ava & Sig created by Max
    v Credits to IIDX v
    Spoiler!

I played the one for the gamecube (3 I think?) and it was amazing. I wonder what character(s) they're gonna put outside of the SC realm this time (lightning from FFXIII would be a great choice).

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Chaos View Post
    I played the one for the gamecube (3 I think?) and it was amazing. I wonder what character(s) they're gonna put outside of the SC realm this time (lightning from FFXIII would be a great choice).
    Soul Calibur 2 bro, that was also my entry into the series and my personal favorite of the bunch. It was cool seeing as the PS2 version had Heihachi from Tekken, and the Xbox version had badass, comic book, antihero Spawn. Gamecube was the way to go, no one can match up with the Hero of Time.

I agree, Lightning would make for one amazing addition. I'd be fine with a number of Final Fantasy characters really, but a female warrior hasn't been a guest yet and she fits the bill perfectly.

And now for the news portion of my daily post. Here's a special treat from GamesCom with a few familiar faces.

The feisty, red headed, warrior maiden of Wolfkrone, Hilde makes her return. Being the last new character before the skip it's nice to see she's kept herself in good form.
    Spoiler!

This one's just for you Sangaz. The lovely, demonic, pixie Tira makes her return complete with new wacko hairstyle. Massacre via hula hoop is once again a reality.
    Spoiler!

What Soul Cal Game is complete without everyone's favorite, ancient child molester? I'm talking about Voldo of course! He'll continue making me uncomfortable well into his nineties.
    Spoiler!

A personal fave of mine, the best Elvis impersonator to ever set foot in the 1500's, Maxi, steps back into the ring. Luckily he remembered to pack extra gel, even though it didn't exist back then. Talk about foresight.
    Spoiler!

Speaking of Maxi you might be wondering whatever happened to his faithful traveling companions? Well Xianghua settled down and had a beautiful baby girl, Leixia is her name. (Try pronouncing that) She's 15 now and confirmed to be appearing in the game as a playable character.
    Spoiler!

As for the baby daddy, well...I'll let you speculate on that.

Jury's still out on that one, but things aren't looking good for our Ling Sheung Su practitioner.

Woo, that was one doozy of an update. If the 26 character roster is to be believed we've got half of them already. Let's see who else turns up before everything is said and done. Still missing quite a few mainstays.

Spoiler!

Lollipop Candy ♥BAD♥ girl daz bonez's Avatar
    Just by looking at voldo i understand why he failed at achieving a succesor

I liked Tira's pt3 "demented elf" look better than pt4's "kinda sorta evil jester thing", so a return to her roots is welcome. EDIT: looking closer, it seems they've merged the 2 themes. I'm cool with this.

Hilde and Maxi look kickass as well!

No Star Wars bullshit in my SC this time.

The entire reason SCIV had Yoda and Darth Vader was to advertise for Force Unleashed, which is why Starkiller was included as well. Now that FU2 was crap and Star Wars has returned to the realm of 'meh', the guest character will most likely be someone else.

I don't care if a game has guests or not. I liked SC2's guests. I like MK9's guests. I didn't like Vader or Yoda because they neither 'fit in' OR 'had good movesets'. Both characters were pretty sucky, and didn't have much effort to them. Hell, they weren't even voiced well. Apprentice/Starkiller was well done, though.

Quote Originally Posted by xioaxioa View Post
    Fisher Tiger is a punk ass bitch.

-----credit to Maximo for the kick ass ava----