• |3| Average

0 0%
  • |2| Bad

2 4.26%
  • |1| Terrible

3 6.38%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by artifice View Post
    Wow, again, I hate to be negative but I found this chapter to be terrible just life the last 3 before it. It's like Naruto hasn't evolved as a character at all, just like before he is charging off head first with no apparent plan or solid reasoning behind his actions besides the cliche of, I want to save everyone. The only thing that seems to have changed with Naruto is that he is more powerful, he seems just like he was when Sasuke went over to Orochimaru, and when Gaara got captured, charging off like a head strong child. Perhaps I am alone in this but I had always hoped to see Naruto evolve to be closer to Kakashi, Jiraiya or Minato. Right now all I see is another child with a new power charging in head on the only difference is that now he is so overbuffed that his teachers can't do anything to stop him.

This war is getting more childish by the chapter, what happened to the wars that we were given glimpses of in flashbacks. This reminds me of the time during Kakashi's flashback where he charged in head on with Chidori and Minato had to stop him. When Kakashi and his commrads made foolish moves out of inexperience they suffered tremendously for it, that is the type of thing I wanted to see in a war, the young characters should be struggling, striving to overcome their inexperience and fighting with the horror of facing impossible situations. Kishimoto painted such a compelling picture of how horrifying war can be with the Kakashi flashback, with Itachi's story, and other similar events. What happened to all that, so far this is not a war, its just a chance for the good guys to show off their minorly improved skillsets by quickly taking down characters who should be the most dangerous they have ever had to face. Child Gaara was a more scary opponent than the Edo Summons.

It is sad to see complex and interesting characters like Naruto and Sasuke grow into such one tone cliches. Naruto started out with such a multidimensional personality and now he comes off as another Goku clone. When Naruto messed up in the past there were consequences for his actions now everything he does is condoned by a simple upgrade and no one important ever dies on his account. This is why I find the older characters so much more interesting, they actually had to get their hands dirty they had to deal with real responsibility and they couldn't simply solve all their problems by powering up and charging back in head on. Naruto hasn't ever had to deal with the death of a friend because of a mistake he made. The first half of the series was largely great because Naruto failed to bring Sasuke back, it was like a reminder that this isn't a typical kids series where the good guy always wins and isn't always right. Naruto isn't just a series of linear battles leading up to a big boss, or so it seemed, now I am beginning to wonder.
    Like someone else said, Jariya and Minato definitly would not sit around while a war was going on, even if they were the main target. The difference is Jariya would already have a plan and Minato would develop his plan on the way to the battlefield. But whos to say Naruto isnt forming a plan as he travels to the battlefield. Dont forget that Naruto is great at devising plans in the midst of a battle...look at his fight with Kakuza. However, I will agree with you that the war is going to easy for the good guys right now, but Madara hasnt entered the fray yet and lets not forget he has EMS and Rinnegan. Things are going to get rough for the good guys soon enough.

Also, WE may have over estimated the EDO Tensi's, but thats more our own fault then it is Kishi's. We pictured them being as tough as the 1st and 2nd when they fought Sarutobi, but keep in mind Sarutobi was old and it was 2 on 1. In this war its been more like 4 good guys vs 1 Edo Summon. Or a platoon vs 2 Edos. The only one on one I've seen was Hanzo vs Mifune. Think about it, it was Kankarou's entire division vs Sasori and Deidora. Ino-Shika-Cho vs Asuma. Darui and the brother/sister team from the cloud vs Kin and Gin...dont forget that Chouji's dad helped out in that fight and the General from the stone and his division as backup. Plus, as far as I've seen the white Zetsu's arent worth a damn...nothing more then a distraction. Black Zetsu better be a badass mofo.

Lastly, there has been plenty of death happening to the good guys, they just happen to be fodder. But, the seven swordsmen were wrecking shit. Ten-Ten stated that Kin was decimating their troops single handedly. And let me ask you this, who would you want to see die? I would be devistated if Lee, Shikamaru, Neji, or Hinata died.
    Beware of the Kyubii

Stev3child - The biggest pussy of them all is rokudaime sennin though. If he was a real man, he wouldn't have relied on hax god-given powers to seal the Jyubi. He would have suplexed that bitch and ripped each tail from the beast one by one with his bare hands.

I agree with orochi completely. Naruto would be even more childish if he couldn't see through the lies they were telling him, "oh okay its just animals i'll go back to my room". You can't expect him to be the perfect character, there's almost no route a mangaka can take now that wouldn't be "cliche" compared to one of the thousands of works out there. He could sit inside, sip some tea, take out a pen and write out a plan, that would be cliche, he could ignore it til the war is over then come and rage after seeing all of the damage done/as in the pain arc, that would be cliche He's doing what he's best at and thats who he is.
    Hey baby, wanna take a gander at some Adam West penis?

I never thought the First and Second looked strong at all when they fought Sarutobi... they only used their trademark techniques, weren't particularly strong or fast, didn't use cunning tactics, and all-in-all were easily dealt with. Yes, he had to use the Death God, but would the real First/Second have fallen to it that easily? I'm certain they'd have put up more of a fight, I mean the First was able to defeat Madara in his prime.

So, personally, I'm not surprised these Edo clones are weaker than the originals. It's always been a theme throughout the series that a Shinobi becomes strong when they have something they want to protect, whether it be an ideal, a friend, or a village. These clones are just blindly using their jutsu, like puppets.

Quote Originally Posted by Monte.Teacher View Post
    @ Artifice... .

Just have faith in Kishi.

He's a master storyteller. Remember when everyone was criticizing Chouji and Hanzo, that they were portrayed so weak and uncool, then suddenly the next chapter, everyone was in awe and saying how badass they were.
    You see that's just the problem, I hated the Hanzo fight and the battle with Chouji and Azuma. I still say Hanzo looked weak, or at least nothing special for a ninja of his acclaim and his powers seemed comparable to what we saw from the young characters back in the Chounin exam. As for Chouji, he was the only one who did seem to have improved during that battle, Azuma seemed like a push over and showed nothing new, and the same can be said for Shikamaru and Ino. That battle was a waste of space and only served to damage what was a very moving team goodbye to Azuma the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Monte.Teacher View Post
    And I guess this is just the same with this war... wait till Madara enters the war. Even Kabuto commented how cruel he was when he coldly killed the Aburame root.
    The problem is that I think there is a lot of other great stuff that should be happening right now, with or without Madara and I am just not seeing it. Like I said all of the battles in this war sofar have been very weak compared to what we saw earlier in the series. These should be the hardest opponents that the protagonists have ever fought yet that isn't being conveyed at all. In the past nearly every battle showed a new dimension to each character, the battles in this war have failed to do that almost completely. I don't coun't Chouji using his winged ability without a pill to be a new power. In the Hanzo battle the only significant move he used was his poison, which seemed completely underwhelming because we have seen about a half a dozen other characters who use poison on top of many other high level abilities.

Ultimately Kishimoto might make this work, but sofar this war has been terribly lame from my perspective so I am having doubts. Kishimoto has proven me wrong in the past with turning what I thought was bad story telling into something good but not always, Naruto is not a perfect series and sofar this war has been far from one of its high points.

Quote Originally Posted by Icho Tolot View Post
    @Artifice

I see things in a different way, to me Naruto is not just bursting out to the war. Think, what Minato, Kakashi, Jiraya, Tsunade and so on would do if they get "arrested" against their will? They would first break away then make a plan.
    Kakashi usually follows orders and never just rushes off without providing good reasons. It is hard to say what Minato would have done but I can almost guarentee that if he did go he would have provided some stategy and he would have given some compelling reason for it, not simply shouted about how it is his responsibility to save everyone and just busted off. Jiraiya probably wouldn't have gone unless he knew that it was really the best option. Look at how Jiraiya dealt with opponents in the past, he only went after Pain because he knew that they needed more information and he went about it very indirectly trying to find out as much information as he could before facing him. As for Tsunade, she has cooperated with the other Elders for the most part and while she can be impulsive she typically trys to work as a team, during the Pain attack she could have Naruto hasn't shown any signs of that he didn't bother to try and find out more, he didn't listen at all, like I said he shouted like a child and said "I am going to end this myself." Can you honestly say that Kakashi, Jiraiya, Tsunade, or Minato would deal with the situation like that?

The problem with Naruto is that most of then don't see how mature he is getting, they made a plan and did not even ask him. How would you react to that?
    That's just it though, by reacting the way he did Naruto totally justified his retainers lying too him, he just proved their point that he isn't mature enough to go along with their plan, he acts like a head strong child who is unwilling to cooperate with any plan that doesn't let him do things how he wants.

Freaking out and charing off without really showing any thought or consideration for the big picture isn't mature, of course they don't see how mature Naruto is getting because lately he has shown very little maturity. As for the whole lie thing, I agree that the whole way they lied to him was ridiculous but that is just one more reason that that last several chapters have been bad. I realize this is more or less a kids series so I can stomach a bit of that silliness but when it is coupled with other absurdities I can only overlook so much.

He listened what Iruka had to say and made his choice. He sees things in a different way.
    He heard what Iruka said, I don't think he really listened. Like I said if Iruka was wrong Naruto should have been able to provide some kind of counter argument, all he said was I am stronger, I am going to end this myself, why don't you trust me, my Dad said I can do it, etc. Basically his arguement can be sumed up by, 'I am the hero of this story let get back to patting me on the back and cheering me on while I save the day myself.'

Naruto just doesn't seem to be thinking like a rational or mature adult, like I said, from my perspective he really does seem like just another cliche self involved hero. The point is not only that he is going against the advice or everyone around him, it is that he seems to be doing it without a putting a lot of thought into it. Even during the battle with Pain, I could somewhat respect Naruto wanting to meet with Nagato alone, he was attempting to see Nagato's perspective, and he seemed to be putting at least some effort into coming to an understanding with his retainers. Even then I thought his thoughts on the matter were naive but at least at that time he was still very much just trying to figure out the situation more than anything else so I could somewhat empathize with his view. This time around though Naruto just comes off as self rightous and headstrong, he

I think as soon he gets free, he is going to fome up with a plan, not just charging in the war.
    Time will tell, I hope you are right but sofar I don't think Naruto has started this the right way. He might make good and have a strategy that we don't know about but I am thinking that he is going to mostly just power his way through, like typical shounin heroes tend to do. Hopefully I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by OrochiKakaRiya View Post
    Like someone else said, Jariya and Minato definitly would not sit around while a war was going on, even if they were the main target. The difference is Jariya would already have a plan and Minato would develop his plan on the way to the battlefield. But whos to say Naruto isnt forming a plan as he travels to the battlefield. Dont forget that Naruto is great at devising plans in the midst of a battle...look at his fight with Kakuza. However, I will agree with you that the war is going to easy for the good guys right now, but Madara hasnt entered the fray yet and lets not forget he has EMS and Rinnegan. Things are going to get rough for the good guys soon enough.
    As I mentioned before its not a question of sitting around while a war is going on. Minato and Jiraiya have usually done what is necessary. If Naruto gets captured Madara wins, that is basically the just of it. Minato and Jiraiya were not the types to rush in without solid reasons and while they both seemed to have a solo streak in them they new the value of teamwork and the value of focusing on the winning the war vs. the battle.

Also, WE may have over estimated the EDO Tensi's, but thats more our own fault then it is Kishi's. We pictured them being as tough as the 1st and 2nd when they fought Sarutobi, but keep in mind Sarutobi was old and it was 2 on 1. In this war its been more like 4 good guys vs 1 Edo Summon. Or a platoon vs 2 Edos. The only one on one I've seen was Hanzo vs Mifune. Think about it, it was Kankarou's entire division vs Sasori and Deidora. Ino-Shika-Cho vs Asuma. Darui and the brother/sister team from the cloud vs Kin and Gin...dont forget that Chouji's dad helped out in that fight and the General from the stone and his division as backup.
    Whether we overestimated the Edo Summons or not, the bottomline is the battles have been weak and uninspired. None of the characters have been pushed to their limits and we haven't really seen any sigificant development. Like I said in the past few chapters, if this war is going to be a long series of dull mini fights that more or less just end with the bad guys getting sealed and the good guys feeling better about themselves what is the point? Obviously I can't speak for everyone but I think that sucks and that isn't the type of thing that got me into this series.

Plus, as far as I've seen the white Zetsu's arent worth a damn...nothing more then a distraction. Black Zetsu better be a badass mofo.
    Precisely my point, there are a lot of battles going on and they aren't worth a damn. Black Zetsu better be badass I agree, but Hanzo should have been a badass, the Kin Gin brothers should have been badass, Azuma should have been badass, none of them were. Every battle we have seen makes all these characters look weak or at least far weaker than they should be considering their reputations. Also, from my perspective, the battles were some of the weakest in the series, which is the bottomline.

I don't expect the Zetu's to all be super powerful, but that doesn't mean they can't be used as a collective to create some really great fights. Having several Zetsu's go up against say Neji or Hinata for example, could be a really interesting fight to watch, but that hasn't happened all we have seen are random shots of tons of Zetsu's being blasted to bits or whatever, nothing compelling or engaging.

Lastly, there has been plenty of death happening to the good guys, they just happen to be fodder. But, the seven swordsmen were wrecking shit. Ten-Ten stated that Kin was decimating their troops single handedly. And let me ask you this, who would you want to see die? I would be devistated if Lee, Shikamaru, Neji, or Hinata died.
    You seem to be making a lot of my points for me, its just that you don't seem to count seem to count them as flaws. Like you said, all of the deaths have been of irrelevant characters but I would go further to say that not only were they fodder deaths they were deaths that carried no impact or emotional weight, that is the big problem. Yeah a lot of people would be devestated if Lee, Shikamaru, Neji, etc. died, that is the whole point. When Jiraiya died it was devestating and it was awesome, when Obito died it was tragic and thus it meant something. This is war, I want it to actually feel like it, it should be hard, it should be brutal, scary, vicious, like I have said over and over again the Chuunin exams were far more intense, seemed more dangerous, and were more interesting because the characters actually had to grow through adversity. It doesn't just have to be characters getting killed but at least getting into very dangerous situations where things seem impossibly grim. For example, when Sakura was getting beaten up trying to protect Sasuke and Naruto from the sound ninja. No one died there but the characters were pushed both physically and emotionally, they had to grow up.
    Last edited by artifice; 04-16-2011 at 01:11 AM.

@ Artifice

Well, I guess that's the way you and other people see the manga as of now. But there are also other people who see it almost in the opposite way that you do. It doesn't mean that they are blind followers of the mangaka, but like you, they just see it differently. In the end, it's just a matter of opinion and no one's view is better than the other. I respect your perspective of this manga. As for me, I'm just enjoying the ride. So we just have to agree to disagree.

You seem to have great ideas of how this war arc should be done. I suggest you collaborate with an artist and make a fan fiction of the Naruto war arc. I would be happy to read it.

Still, I have no problem with how Kishi is handling the story so far. I am reading a lot of seinen manga and they're quite depressive to read most of the time. I'm just happy that Naruto is shounen and has a lighter mood even in realistically serious situations like a war.
    UNLEASH THE GREEN BEAST OF KONOHA

Precisely my point, there are a lot of battles going on and they aren't worth a damn. Black Zetsu better be badass I agree, but Hanzo should have been a badass, the Kin Gin brothers should have been badass, Azuma should have been badass, none of them were. Every battle we have seen makes all these characters look weak or at least far weaker than they should be considering their reputations. Also, from my perspective, the battles were some of the weakest in the series, which is the bottomline.

I don't expect the Zetu's to all be super powerful, but that doesn't mean they can't be used as a collective to create some really great fights. Having several Zetsu's go up against say Neji or Hinata for example, could be a really interesting fight to watch, but that hasn't happened all we have seen are random shots of tons of Zetsu's being blasted to bits or whatever, nothing compelling or engaging.

I agree with you in terms of the white Zetsu's. they have really not been used that well at all.

That's just it though, by reacting the way he did Naruto totally justified his retainers lying too him, he just proved their point that he isn't mature enough to go along with their plan, he acts like a head strong child who is unwilling to cooperate with any plan that doesn't let him do things how he wants.

Freaking out and charing off without really showing any thought or consideration for the big picture isn't mature, of course they don't see how mature Naruto is getting because lately he has shown very little maturity. As for the whole lie thing, I agree that the whole way they lied to him was ridiculous but that is just one more reason that that last several chapters have been bad. I realize this is more or less a kids series so I can stomach a bit of that silliness but when it is coupled with other absurdities I can only overlook so much.

He heard what Iruka said, I don't think he really listened. Like I said if Iruka was wrong Naruto should have been able to provide some kind of counter argument, all he said was I am stronger, I am going to end this myself, why don't you trust me, my Dad said I can do it, etc. Basically his arguement can be sumed up by, 'I am the hero of this story let get back to patting me on the back and cheering me on while I save the day myself.'

Naruto just doesn't seem to be thinking like a rational or mature adult, like I said, from my perspective he really does seem like just another cliche self involved hero. The point is not only that he is going against the advice or everyone around him, it is that he seems to be doing it without a putting a lot of thought into it. Even during the battle with Pain, I could somewhat respect Naruto wanting to meet with Nagato alone, he was attempting to see Nagato's perspective, and he seemed to be putting at least some effort into coming to an understanding with his retainers. Even then I thought his thoughts on the matter were naive but at least at that time he was still very much just trying to figure out the situation more than anything else so I could somewhat empathize with his view. This time around though Naruto just comes off as self rightous and headstrong, he

As I mentioned before its not a question of sitting around while a war is going on. Minato and Jiraiya have usually done what is necessary. If Naruto gets captured Madara wins, that is basically the just of it. Minato and Jiraiya were not the types to rush in without solid reasons and while they both seemed to have a solo streak in them they new the value of teamwork and the value of focusing on the winning the war vs. the battle.

Whether we overestimated the Edo Summons or not, the bottomline is the battles have been weak and uninspired. None of the characters have been pushed to their limits and we haven't really seen any sigificant development. Like I said in the past few chapters, if this war is going to be a long series of dull mini fights that more or less just end with the bad guys getting sealed and the good guys feeling better about themselves what is the point? Obviously I can't speak for everyone but I think that sucks and that isn't the type of thing that got me into this series.

You seem to be making a lot of my points for me, its just that you don't seem to count seem to count them as flaws. Like you said, all of the deaths have been of irrelevant characters but I would go further to say that not only were they fodder deaths they were deaths that carried no impact or emotional weight, that is the big problem. Yeah a lot of people would be devestated if Lee, Shikamaru, Neji, etc. died, that is the whole point. When Jiraiya died it was devestating and it was awesome, when Obito died it was tragic and thus it meant something. This is war, I want it to actually feel like it, it should be hard, it should be brutal, scary, vicious, like I have said over and over again the Chuunin exams were far more intense, seemed more dangerous, and were more interesting because the characters actually had to grow through adversity. It doesn't just have to be characters getting killed but at least getting into very dangerous situations where things seem impossibly grim. For example, when Sakura was getting beaten up trying to protect Sasuke and Naruto from the sound ninja. No one died there but the characters were pushed both physically and emotionally, they had to grow up.
    I still think your own specific expectations are messing you up. When people die in this manga it matters but not really as much as will be necessary. Let's say 30 fodders die and Lee. It would seriously be foolish to focus only on Lee dieing.
    Not to mention you are forgetting this is a War on a completely different scale. In many ways this war in itself is kind of childish as well if you think about it. The whole world basically, all against 1 crazy powerful guy. All to stop him from making them his puppets. That is the type of thing that would only happen in this type of medium, to be fair. All those other previous wars were against each other. This is Everybody against....
    If he really bothered to show only Konoha's death's, or any seperate nations as being important, it would be childish as well. Not to mention, this is like literally fighting for existence in all. Not just existenceHow many are even from each different ninja nation? And how much or little do you really expect them to be affected? Should ninjas be dieing just because they're grieving over other ninjas? My point being, it would be a delicate balance to really have them effected either by 1 death of an important character, or many important characters. Where would it end?

And you said that the previous events shaped them and pushed them to their edges, and they had to pull out of it the better for it.
    Have you ever thought, this huge war is not supposed to do the same, but instead show the finished products?

These characters have been raised by the last generation, and are a mix of 3 or 4 generations after some of these zombies. Honestly they should be easily defeating controlled zombies. The only reason Naruto can even hope to change the ninja world is because the ninja world has actually learned some things from it's past(slowly yes) both in terms of ability, capability, means, and the importance of war and peace, life and death. If you think about it, even lesser fodder ninjas, but especially the main young ninjas have been expressly given all the tools they need to defeat any1 who came before them. That's kinda been a big theme in this manga.

As for Naruto's attitude, he now just simply reminds me of Peter Parker AKA Spider-Man. They both have the craziest sense of responsibility for their friends and "innocents", that it becomes quite ridiculous. But while still being smart and mature, that will always have a hold or control over what they do. If they can save people, then they must, simple as that. While this may also seem reckless and immature, this is also their needed quality to be able to effect change, and if he makes a little mistake, or loses a friend or life, it will be more detrimental, and character building, the more he thinks he's infallible.

Think MrFry said it best:

I agree with orochi completely. Naruto would be even more childish if he couldn't see through the lies they were telling him, "oh okay its just animals i'll go back to my room". You can't expect him to be the perfect character, there's almost no route a mangaka can take now that wouldn't be "cliche" compared to one of the thousands of works out there. He could sit inside, sip some tea, take out a pen and write out a plan, that would be cliche, he could ignore it til the war is over then come and rage after seeing all of the damage done/as in the pain arc, that would be cliche. He's doing what he's best at and thats who he is.

scarred luffy...that was a really good post especially the last 4 paragraphs. Like Monte.teacher said, Im just going to sit back and enjoy the ride that Kishi has been taking us on...and what a ride it has been.
    Beware of the Kyubii

Stev3child - The biggest pussy of them all is rokudaime sennin though. If he was a real man, he wouldn't have relied on hax god-given powers to seal the Jyubi. He would have suplexed that bitch and ripped each tail from the beast one by one with his bare hands.

I think I'd like to tip my hat to Artifice, because he has given us a lot to think about. In my eyes he is a true fan because he is raising credible points and he's definitely not being a fanboy.

For me I have to go with Teacher. We all have our opinions and takes. I for one would not read Naruto if it turned into a blood and gore manga. I like the way Kishi has handled it thus far and I hope he doesn't change, else I'd be Out Of Here fast.

To sum up my retort, I think Naruto's conversation with Iruka already acknowledges and answers the charge of recklessness and immaturity. In fact Iruka said as much to him, proving that Kishimoto is aware of this, but he wants to take Naruto the character in a direction he's pre-determined. Naruto's answer to Iruka speaks for itself. This is the essential character of Naruto's Being, his Nature. In other words, Naruto understands how Iruka feels, and what they all want him to do, he understands it, but he rejects it. The self-same Recklessness in the Cause of his Friends, is what makes, and will make him, the right Man to lead the Ninja World away from it's bloody endlessly warring history.

So I am with Orochikariya on this one. I'll sit back and enjoy Kishi's Fun Wild-Ride, Naruto.

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...06#post2310006
    Last edited by paulbee; 04-17-2011 at 05:21 AM.

I am not perfect and I defy you to prove otherwise
    Growing Old Gracefully is an Oxymoron ... Mostly Moron !

Hanzo battle was ''lame'' or quick was due to the fact that it was a Samurai battle. In most of the slice and dice movies that have samurais, it's like a western shootout where speed would be the factor that we look at. This battle was just like that. I mean, it's not like a Samurai could actually stand a chance against an elite ninja, he had to attack before any jutsus were used.

But Kish was preaching what he always has done. He took a villain and showed what his real motivations where. At least for me, that softened up Hanzo in my eyes. That made the point for me, and not the amount of jutsus used but as long as we have some substance I'm fine.

The war is a distraction to get both Hachibi and Kyuubi. Madara doesn't care if he just lost some Zetsu clones and Edo zombies. The zombies weren't apart of his original calculations so to him the his losses haven't begun yet. About Naruto rushing off to battle, yes it was foolish in a military perspective but you have to believe in Naruto. I guess its a question of whether you believe that Naruto is following his destiny and whether you believe that Naruto believes it. I'm pretty sure he has a speech like that but he didn't want to waste it on Iruka.

BELIEVE IT! The biggest challenge for Naruto to face is converting Artifice..

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    BELIEVE IT! The biggest challenge for Naruto to face is converting Artifice..
    LOFL!! hahahaha...

I've read artifice past posts and many times he did defend Kishi and Naruto against bashers. Like Paul said, he is no fanboy and he has indeed raised credible points.
    UNLEASH THE GREEN BEAST OF KONOHA