Are You Alice? ~ Ninomiya Ai & Katagiri Ikumi

Are You Alice?
    Released:2009
    Author(s):Ninomiya Ai
    Artist(s):Katagiri Ikumi
    Genre(s):Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Josei, Mystery, Psychological

Summary

After throwing away his dreams a boy wanders into "Wonderland" and he holds the name of "Alice" which is the primary requirement in the "Game to kill the White Rabbit". In a crazy story where common sense does not apply and everything is bound by the rules of the game and the orders of the Queen of Hearts, Alice decides to take the gun in his hand.

Link: http://www.mangahere.com/manga/are_you_alice/
    Last edited by manga_style; 04-02-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    Manga Style

Queen of the Boredom Zone Arhazivory's Avatar
    Ehhhh? A boy Alice? o_O

Well I'm a fan of the Josei genre so I might just check it out.
    ^Birthday Sig & Ava from Mikessc88 <3 v Birthday Sig from Imotochan <3
    Lords of the Boredom Zone: Arhazivory Redsquirrel and Crossx21

Quote Originally Posted by Arhazivory View Post
    Ehhhh? A boy Alice? o_O

Well I'm a fan of the Josei genre so I might just check it out.
    That is way out of left field huh?

This was a very interesting read. Haven't read a Josei since NANA and this was completely different, so it was certainly memorable.

While I did enjoy it, the story has some very depressing moments.
    Spoiler!

From a story perspective it helps to illustrate the inane horror of this new and distorted Wonderland, but ouch that was rough. Also the story isn't the easiest to follow that's for sure, different realities lapse all over each other and by the latest chapter I think 4th wall breaking has just occurred so yeah it's something else.

Character wise it's very good and for me new. Alice acts completely understandably given the situation he's in, The Queen of Hearts who is also a guy is a psychotic jerk (Not forgiving him for chapters 9 or 14 EVER!), The Hatter while calm and collected is apathetic to everything I'm guessing because any possible connection he could have had with previous incarnations of Alice have worn his emotions thin. The Cheshire Cat is as affably evil and misleading as the source material, and his early development added another notch of sadness to the already dour storyline, and how could I forget Jack easily the most expressive and dynamic character of them all. (Love his signs) The White Rabbit I have to see more on but he looks like a broken character trying to piece back together what was lost in his previous life. The Duchess is adorable and the only pure character so far, and Dormouse is your typical lazy bum with a heavy sack on his shoulders.

Never have I read a manga like this before and I was pleasantly surprised at how different it was. Might be too much of a downer for some people but I want to see where things go from here. Kind of reminds me of the Dorothy of Oz mahnwa, however only because of both stories being based on English literature. Oz is unquestionably shonen while Alice breaks away into more mature territory.

As long as everything just keeps on flowing forward, then that's already enough.
    Where there's a will there's a way!
    Spoiler!

Queen of the Boredom Zone Arhazivory's Avatar
    Great review Trilight.

Wow~! :O Wow. I fell in love with this one. Its been a long time since a manga has intrigued me this much and I was delightfully confused at some points.

My only problem is that the scanlation of the recent chapters have been LQ. I still appreciate the releases bt my scanlator's eyes are bleeding tears of blood.
    ^Birthday Sig & Ava from Mikessc88 <3 v Birthday Sig from Imotochan <3
    Lords of the Boredom Zone: Arhazivory Redsquirrel and Crossx21

WHITE KNIGHT!89TH ALICE!CHESIRE CAT!PETER WHITE!MARCH HARE!DUCHESS!YOU GUYS ARE ON MY FAVORITE LIST!...For the others..Aren't so great..But its so selfish that the 88th Alice wants to be the real Alice..Its so obvious that the 89th Alice will be the real Alice...Stupid 88th Alice..Kissing him.She was right to be dead.