View Poll Results: What did you think of the chapter?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent

8 38.10%
  • Good

4 19.05%
  • Average

6 28.57%
  • Bad

2 9.52%
  • Terrible

1 4.76%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by OrochiKakaRiya View Post
    Sirxxx, I guess im ludicrous too. Something has to attract me to the manga initially. The first thing I see is the art. If I'm attracted by the art, then I open it up and begin to read. The reason I didnt originally jump on OP is because the art style just didnt intrigue me. Whereas Naruto, Bleach, and Gantz (IMO) were beautifully drawn, so I was inticed to find out what they were about. I will say, that may have not been a fair way to judge because from what I hear OP's story is great. Only reason why I never started OP was because by time I heard about it's great storyline, I was so far behind that I didnt feel like catching up, that and I had already started plenty other series. I still dont think thats a ludicrous view point because the first thing you see with a Manga is the cover art.

Sorry for being off-topic...I just wanted to comment on that particular discussion
    It's definitely ludicrous I for one ignored OP because of the same reason for the longest time. Definitely regret doing that, it's well worth the read. And you seriously don't have to worry about catching up with the story like you think you do. Take your time with it because the overall plot doesn't move as fast you think it those. Also the art doesn't burn your eyes for 620 chapters. It improves extensively nearly every arc, you can tell Oda started his story real early instead of practicing more before hand. But than again I would too if they gave me a shot in Shonen Jump, letting a chance like that slip by is a huge once in a lifetime opportunity.

Not reading it because of the art major mistake, don't let a close-minded point of view like that draw you away. Because you'll more than likely miss out on other great works as well.

I can't deny that my tastes in aren't certainly aren't developed enough to be picky about it. Or maybe you "get" or interpret art better than I do. So I can see where that would give "art style" more prominence in your book. So: agreed--there's nothing wrong with that.

It's not ludicrous to demand a visually pleasing manga/art style. It BECOMES so, however, when that is ALL you require (and if you won't watch a series/read a manga because you do not like the art style, it heavily implies that, yes, that is your only requirement)

True, a manga that has both whammies of pleasing art and incredible story is far superior to one that only does either/or. But if a manga has to err on a side in a medium that is, first and foremost, supposed to be telling a story, it had better err on the side of great-storytelling.

Think about it: Do you find yourself looking forward to next week's chapter because you can't wait to see how good the Protagonist is drawn when he uses his "Awesome Insta-Kill" technique, or because he is in a dire situation and you wonder whether he has developed enough to achieve "Awesome Insta-Kill" technique?

EDIT: You guys aren't "wrong" (don't know if my first post made it sound that way) or "right", and neither am I. But I do believe my opinion to be superior, and this is only an attempt to tell why I think so. So...Yay, good discussion!
    I'm not saying that I only care about art, and if I gave that impression then I must've worded myself poorly. I for example am an avid hater of Elfen Lied, a show that was highly praised for its art when it was released, because it was exactly that, visuals without any kind of substance whatsoever (just thinking about the amount of people who praise the show for its "deep" plot makes me go nerdrage XD). I cannot comment on what plot would be superior vs Bleach and OP, but I've found that I am less and less drawn to what I would call "obvious" plots - what attracts me to Bleach primarily is the subtlety or what kuroi likes to call "Kubo's cryptic writing". I'm not saying that Bleach is the best thing there is in the world (I guess if I have to take a pick of an anime/manga where art and story is as good as it can be almost on both sides, Darker Than Black wins the prize currently), I have just become very picky over the years where I originally would look and read anything regardless of what I thought of the art or the story (mostly because I didn't care about art back then), but as my interest grew and I learnt what I liked and what I disliked, I noticed that art did become an aspect whose importance increased to me.

Art is an important factor in how it plays along with the story. A couple of years ago I for example tried the MMO game Warhammer Online whose PvP aspects were highly praised back then (I have no idea what happened to WAR since). However, I found myself quitting just a few months after because the art didn't actually speak to me. It was very visually pleasing in that it looked good and certainly much better than WoW which I was playing as well - yet the art didn't bring any atmosphere or add any texture to the game itself despite the fact that I found the actual game experience pleasing. The art helps to create character, I guess it's hard to explain to someone who is of the opinion that bad art should ultimately not matter since we obviously have a different understanding on what role art plays in art (manga/anime being art forms, hence the products are considered art).

As for the current battle, I'm more interested in what the badge will eventually turn into. As kuroi pointed out, currently it looks very clumsy for battle, close combat or ranged (oh wait, it doesn't work at ranged at all, my bad). Just a quick thought, is there anyone else who would agree with me that Zangetsu might remanifest and that what we're seeing is actually the beginning of Zangetsu's hilt protection? Remember that it used to be a manji as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaT View Post
    I'm not saying that I only care about art, and if I gave that impression then I must've worded myself poorly......Just a quick thought, is there anyone else who would agree with me that Zangetsu might remanifest and that what we're seeing is actually the beginning of Zangetsu's hilt protection? Remember that it used to be a manji as well.
    So it sounds as if you're saying that it's not the beauty of the art, but how it serves the...thing to which it is attached that is important. Again, and I hate to constantly dick-ride OP, but this theory does make a stronger case for One Piece, as its art style (with it's exaggerated expressions and reactions and over-the-top characters) perfectly sets the tone of a light-hearted adventure where the main protagonist is so innocent that he doesn't even understand why breasts are immaculate!

Although:

Now that you've put it like that, where art should set the atmosphere, there are a feeewww instances where OP's art style has betrayed its story. These three in particular:
    http://www.mangareader.net/103-47005...apter-574.html
    http://www.mangareader.net/103-49210...apter-579.html
    http://www.mangareader.net/103-49210...apter-579.html

All three represent MAJOR (read: MAJOR!) emotional trauma for the characters involved, yet their (for lack of a better description) completely retarded expressions really served to dampen the impact of what they were supposed to be going through. At least for me.

But do consider reading/watching into things, even if you don't initially agree with the way they are drawn up, because they might end up falling into your other requirement that "the art services the story"! That way, you end up not missing out on an awesome story!

Also, I realize that I just posted One Piece links in a Bleach discussion thread O.O In the hopes of not being murdered, here are some puppies:

I'm interested too, because it's got to be an ergonomic nightmare fighting with a melee object with no handle! It's been shown to be useless once it's out of his hand, but there's really no good way to hold onto it at the moment. If two fingers slip, he's pretty much screwed. lol. I hope it doesn't turn out to be Zangetsu himself (I feel like he should be a Zanpaktu thing only), but if it was Zangetsu-related, that'd be cool. It just needs to be different enough to justify Ichigo even having a fullbring.

^ The truth is, it is probably another part/form of Zengetsu. We already have Zangetsu as a hollow a zanpakutou(shikai and bankai), a fusion of Zanban and Zanholl, so maybe this time it will be the fusion of Zanshi and Zanfull (Zan = Zangetsu;ban = bankai; holl = hollow; shi = shikai; full = fullbring).

So it sounds as if you're saying that it's not the beauty of the art, but how it serves the...thing to which it is attached that is important. Again, and I hate to constantly dick-ride OP, but this theory does make a stronger case for One Piece, as its art style (with it's exaggerated expressions and reactions and over-the-top characters) perfectly sets the tone of a light-hearted adventure where the main protagonist is so innocent that he doesn't even understand why breasts are immaculate!
    Well yes, but in a sense not always either. I think at this point it's more than just opinion about art itself but about taste - I don't want to read a lighthearted shounen adventure, my interests lie elsewhere. No offense to OP lovers here but there are plenty of lighthearted shounen adventures written already (with varying art quality and styles), what I'm looking for are manga and anime that bring the story to the next level in terms of storytelling like Bleach does to some extent. I just don't like having the plot served to be on a plate, there should be more to the plot than that to me where I have to use my brain a bit as well. (And no, Death Note is a bad example although I do like Oda's style.) There is a reason why I've become increasingly drawn towards mindfuck anime over the years instead of watching harem and whatnot like most others are doing (a genre I absolutely despise).
    ^ The truth is, it is probably another part/form of Zengetsu. We already have Zangetsu as a hollow a zanpakutou(shikai and bankai), a fusion of Zanban and Zanholl, so maybe this time it will be the fusion of Zanshi and Zanfull (Zan = Zangetsu;ban = bankai; holl = hollow; shi = shikai; full = fullbring).
    And what would the result be from that? Zanshifull?