PS3 YLOD - Has your Playstation 3 died yet?

(YLOD = Yellow light of death)

Well it finally happened sort of... My system shut down and started giving me the blinking lights didnt see any yellow light but I knew what this meant. My system is dying....

I got one of the original PS3's Feb 2009 40GB model but it started acting up just yesterday. I went to the PS3 forums and found a list of people this had happened too and a list of system types here take a look. The list is a bit old but still that gives you an idea of which types are the least reliable.

Break down:

250GB = 3
    160GB = 1
    120GB = 6
    80GB = 169
    60GB = 875
    40GB = 140
    20GB = 38

REFURBISHED = 33

Current Total of PSN Victim's = 1232*

The idea of sending it in to Sony then shelling out 150 + tax +S&H with only a 90 day warranty seems silly when I can buy a new model for $299. Of course my system would break down the same week I have to pay rent so that will have to wait.

In any case has this happened to anyone else here? Also can you state what model and when you got your system and when it died.

Fire type

What chakra type are you?
    http://www.quizilla.com/quizzes/4038...lement-are-you

Mine's an 80gb (EU version), bought it in 2008. Never even cleaned out the vents on it and it's still running as good as the day I bought it.
    I must be one of the lucky ones.

Have to say though, It has zapped me a couple of times. Power cable comes loose every now and then (probably from me standing on the cable), and the off switch is like 1cm away from it. Makes me jump, but yeah, still a tough little console.

Well I had two that died on me, both were the original 60GB models. The first one was the one I bought when the PS3 first launched, it probably worked for like a year and half before I got the YLOD. I sent that one in and got a refurbished one which lasted a little longer before I got the YLOD, I haven't actually sent that one in yet though. So right now I am rocking the 120GB Slim version, am actually coming up the one year anniversary of buying it. Fingers cross that something bad doesn't happen to it this time around.

@POW When you do get a new PS3 start copying your saves to a USB drive or some other external hard drive. The saves that can be copied anyway becomes some game saves you can't copy which totally sucks.

Manga reading list: Bleach, Naruto, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, One Piece, Code Breaker, Gamaran, Kuroko No Basket, Fairy Tail, The World God Only Knows, Kimi No Iru Machi, Good Ending, Medaka Box, Nisekoi, D.Gray-Man, Ao No Exorcist, Freezing, Magi - Labyrinth of Magic, Soul Eater, Rosario Vampire Season II, Iris Zero, Ubell Blatt, Bloody Cross, Sun-Ken Rock, and Infinite Stratos,

Actually I upgraded the thing about 2 months ago to 500GB HDD So I do have back up from about 2 months ago but it doesn't have my more recent stuff on it. Its better than loosing everything though.

Yeah looks like the 60GB version was the least reliable one based on the PS forums thread I got that list from.

Fire type

What chakra type are you?
    http://www.quizilla.com/quizzes/4038...lement-are-you

Quote Originally Posted by POW View Post
    Actually I upgraded the thing about 2 months ago to 500GB HDD So I do have back up from about 2 months ago but it doesn't have my more recent stuff on it. Its better than loosing everything though.

Yeah looks like the 60GB version was the least reliable one based on the PS forums thread I got that list from.
    Yeah I would back everything you can because two months of stuff is a lot. I wouldn't want to lose that much stuff. Copy everything you can but the saves you can't back up you have no choice but to lose them.

Manga reading list: Bleach, Naruto, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, One Piece, Code Breaker, Gamaran, Kuroko No Basket, Fairy Tail, The World God Only Knows, Kimi No Iru Machi, Good Ending, Medaka Box, Nisekoi, D.Gray-Man, Ao No Exorcist, Freezing, Magi - Labyrinth of Magic, Soul Eater, Rosario Vampire Season II, Iris Zero, Ubell Blatt, Bloody Cross, Sun-Ken Rock, and Infinite Stratos,