Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    72478 Calcifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    611

    Is it just me or is...

    One Piece really going downhill as of late?

    I mean, I've been reading this since Alabasta, and I do understand that most mangakas do have slumps, but Oda is really just disappointing me lately.

    In my opinion (take it as such), Fishman Island is just a garbage arc so far. I'm finding it highly predictable and it just lacks the sense of adventure that the other arcs had for me. It's really the essence of One Piece, at least to me. The dialog is lacking (Especially that Fishman Princess), the characters are just seeming blah (Neptune is so "meh"), and Oda didn't even bother to show us any real action yet.

    Also, the Art seems to be a little inconsistent to me as of late. Maybe it's just bland design on some aspects, or a lack of focus on the details that Oda was so famous for before, but the art seems more like an imitation of One Piece than the actual manga.

    So, is anyone else getting the same vibes, or is it just me? I mean, One Piece was really, and I mean REALLY, on a roll before this arc in my opinion, and this just seems like a bad way to start off the 2nd half of this manga to me.

    Edit: Forgot to mention, it also seems that Oda has started recycling some plot devices. I don't really want to elongate my post by too much, but this is like the 4th princess we've had.

    Finally, since I feel this is a necessity given the situation, this is not some troll thread, and please don't treat it as such. I'm sure that these feelings are not completely unjustifiable, and I'm not looking for 50 "Oda is God, so STFU about my fav Manga" posts.
    Dickriding. Because I appreciate it!
    Spoiler!

    "Truth"
    Spoiler!

  2. #2
    六代目火影仙人 Rokudaime Sennin ™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Searching for a Path to one Peace!
    Posts
    4,915
    Oda is GOD, so STFU about my favorite manga

  3. #3
    Shadow Bushin Zi Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    153
    Believe me, the feeling is mutual all around. Fishman Island so far has been a big disappointment to say the least. Everyone besides Hyozou appear to be fodder compared to our Crew. Brooke wipes the floor with Mermen army and we don't even get to see it. The skipping of action and showing of characters just standing over beaten bodies is getting annoyingly repetitive. We randomly open a new chapter to see Neptune tied up and the crew standing around him while Zoro is taking control. The lack of anything at all being explained is un-Oda like. I'm not liking the opening to the New World very much either. I'd much rather go back and re read Enie's Lobby/Water Seven and/or Skypiea


  4. #4
    72478 Calcifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokudaime Sennin ™ View Post
    Oda is GOD, so STFU
    And people call me a troll who can't take things seriously....


    But really, I used to think Oda was the best active and largely popular mangaka around, but recently, I'm starting to question this status.

    I really don't mind him taking every other week off to be with his family as long as he keeps up his previous standard of quality, but lately that just hasn't been going on in my opinion.

    Anyone know the inside scoop on his home life? Divorce or something, because that would really be bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zi Dawg View Post
    Believe me, the feeling is mutual all around. Fishman Island so far has been a big disappointment to say the least. Everyone besides Hyozou appear to be fodder compared to our Crew. Brooke wipes the floor with Mermen army and we don't even get to see it. The skipping of action and showing of characters just standing over beaten bodies is getting annoyingly repetitive. We randomly open a new chapter to see Neptune tied up and the crew standing around him while Zoro is taking control. The lack of anything at all being explained is un-Oda like. I'm not liking the opening to the New World very much either. I'd much rather go back and re read Enie's Lobby/Water Seven and/or Skypiea
    Glad to see that it's not just me, as I thought my reputation along with my feelings would doom the thread.

    And you KNOW things are bad when we're rereading Skypiea...
    Dickriding. Because I appreciate it!
    Spoiler!

    "Truth"
    Spoiler!

  5. #5
    Shadow Bushin Zi Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcifer View Post
    And people call me a troll who can't take things seriously....


    But really, I used to think Oda was the best active and largely popular mangaka around, but recently, I'm starting to question this status.

    I really don't mind him taking every other week off to be with his family as long as he keeps up his previous standard of quality, but lately that just hasn't been going on in my opinion.

    Anyone know the inside scoop on his home life? Divorce or something, because that would really be bad.



    Glad to see that it's not just me, as I thought my reputation along with my feelings would doom the thread.

    And you KNOW things are bad when we're rereading Skypiea...

    I heard One Piece was just forgotten when every other Manga was printed last week...I don't think it was anything personal with Oda.

    I actually enjoyed Skypiea..I thought it was a great story to read...ya know, besides the pointless flashblacks :/

    I guess what I was told from the beginning was true...Skypiea really isn't that popular an Arc is it?


  6. #6
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,001
    just you
    Spoiler!

  7. #7
    72478 Calcifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by Zi Dawg View Post
    I heard One Piece was just forgotten when every other Manga was printed last week...I don't think it was anything personal with Oda.

    I actually enjoyed Skypiea..I thought it was a great story to read...ya know, besides the pointless flashblacks :/

    I guess what I was told from the beginning was true...Skypiea really isn't that popular an Arc is it?
    Oda has taken a lot of personal breaks in the past, so I thought maybe he was losing focus due to some outside influences.

    And yeah, before Skypeia, Oda said that a crew member was due to die, and ever since then fans have been on edge about the arc. The fact that no one really died, combined with the fact that it was in between two of the best in the series has made it somewhat of a black sheep of an arc. I liked it, it's just a lot of the fanbase didn't like it as much as some other arcs.
    Dickriding. Because I appreciate it!
    Spoiler!

    "Truth"
    Spoiler!

  8. #8
    六代目火影仙人 Rokudaime Sennin ™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Searching for a Path to one Peace!
    Posts
    4,915
    Sry bro, didn't realize you were serious. Anyways, I read an article on anime news network about Oda's home life that might shed some light. Here.

  9. #9
    Shadow Bushin Zi Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcifer View Post
    Oda has taken a lot of personal breaks in the past, so I thought maybe he was losing focus due to some outside influences.

    And yeah, before Skypeia, Oda said that a crew member was due to die, and ever since then fans have been on edge about the arc. The fact that no one really died, combined with the fact that it was in between two of the best in the series has made it somewhat of a black sheep of an arc. I liked it, it's just a lot of the fanbase didn't like it as much as some other arcs.
    Ah, I see. Well being a fairly new reader (began in the summer and caught up to 584 at the time) I wouldn't have known about these past issues. Interesting to know.

    So, it was a build up problem. A spoiler gone wrong and people got mad because something expected never happened. I adore the arc none-the-less. Read the whole damned thing in a single night. 100+ chapters ftw


  10. #10
    72478 Calcifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokudaime Sennin ™ View Post
    Sry bro, didn't realize you were serious. Anyways, I read an article on anime news network about Oda's home life that might shed some light. Here.
    Lol, maybe you are forgetting who I am, but things like that won't even be acknowledged in the future bro

    I mean c'mon, we can do better than that right? You gotta draw inspiration from the old success, like some thread some of us started, or some pictures about other members some of us made. those were truly great, this is just a feeble attempt.
    Dickriding. Because I appreciate it!
    Spoiler!

    "Truth"
    Spoiler!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •